Whole Peppercorns on Sandwich? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I took a woman friend out to dinner last night after a meeting. While I ordered the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich, she ordered a salmon sandwich. When we got to our table, she pulled the top piece of bread off the sandwich and found numerous whole peppercorns around the outer border of the fish. She removed them by hand.

What gives here? Why would anyone put a bunch of whole peppercorns on a sandwich?

P.S. Please, no need to express your disapproval that she ordered a fish sandwich. That was her choice, and she did not ask my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I've seen it on pepper salami before, but never fish. I used to think it was quite good actually.
#3 Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Hell yes I would A lot of dishes in China use whole peppercorn, and that's where I got addicted to it. Haven't had it on a sandwich yet, but after reading this I guarantee my next sandwich will have whole peppercorns on it.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#4 Old 05-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Gib
Veggie Regular

Hell yea to whole peppercorns. I add them to soups and salads and sometimes just snack on them right out of the jar.
#5 Old 05-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

urk

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#6 Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Oryzatarian

Thats hardcore!
I'll have to try it
#7 Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Achoo!
#8 Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

oh mercy !!! that is bad if it was whole. I thought they are hard to chew?
#9 Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Beanitarian

It wasn't capers?

Beanitarian.
#10 Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

It wasn't capers?

That's what I was thinking. No whole peppercorn sandwich for me.
#11 Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It wasn't capers?

Whole peppercorns are definitely used in many places. They have kind of a numbing taste, if that makes any sense. They're not too hard, nor are they real spicy (as in hot).

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#12 Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Whole peppercorns are definitely used in many places. They have kind of a numbing taste, if that makes any sense. They're not too hard, nor are they real spicy (as in hot).

Your peppercorns must not be my peppercorns.
Unless they're simmered and softened you could chip a tooth on them, and they're the same heat index as cayenne - which is hot to quite a few people.
(white, green, red, or black peppercorns)

I am my own bad companion

#13 Old 05-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It wasn't capers?

No, capers do not look anything like black peppercorns.
LL
#14 Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Hell yes I would

I went to another location of the same chain restaurant, and the employees told me that the salmon sandwich had been discontinued. They did not say why or whatever. Whole peppercorns would not have been to my taste.
#15 Old 05-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post

Your peppercorns must not be my peppercorns.
Unless they're simmered and softened you could chip a tooth on them, and they're the same heat index as cayenne - which is hot to quite a few people.
(white, green, red, or black peppercorns)

Well I haven't had them simply added to a sandwich yet, mostly as an ingredient in various Chinese dishes in China. They were cooked, which I suppose probably softened them up a bit. Not sure about the difference in taste though, I just never found them to be that hot. Diluted in the cooking perhaps?

#16 Old 05-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

No, capers do not look anything like black peppercorns.

But sometimes when they're cooked, they look kinda like big peppercorns. Ish.
LL
#17 Old 05-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular

We put whole peppercorns in our chai tea and they definitely seem to soften in the steeping.

Never tried eating one afterwards though.

I would steep them before putting them on a sandwich. But I'd try it, I love pepper.
#18 Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I took a woman friend out to dinner last night after a meeting. While I ordered the Mediterranean Veggie sandwich, she ordered a salmon sandwich. When we got to our table, she pulled the top piece of bread off the sandwich and found numerous whole peppercorns around the outer border of the fish. She removed them by hand.

What gives here? Why would anyone put a bunch of whole peppercorns on a sandwich?

P.S. Please, no need to express your disapproval that she ordered a fish sandwich. That was her choice, and she did not ask my opinion.

I LOVE pepper.

Pepper goes really well with everything.
#19 Old 05-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Gib
Veggie Regular

I'm eating whole peppercorns as I type this. They're really no crunchier than say, a pomegranate seed.
#20 Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay I tried one.

Yeah, not as crunchy as I would have expected, but I'm gentle with my teeth so I probably wouldn't eat them carelessly unless they were a little softer. I think they are harder than pomegranate seeds, but not by a ton.
#21 Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds rank!
#22 Old 05-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe they're softer than I think, as I've never actually tried to chew one, I might be wrong.
But the peppercorns I put in my pepper grinder really don't seem to be very soft, and thinking back, years ago at a restaurant where I cooked, I used to crush peppercorns to put on one of our gourmet burgers (blue cheese and crushed peppercorn - I don't remember what it was called). Anyway - we had a finishing hammer in the kitchen that was purchased just for crushing the peppercorns as they weren't easy to crush.
They sure don't seem soft to me, but as I said I could be wrong though. Do they soften with saliva? They are actually a dried fruit and not a seed as many might think, so maybe they rehydrate easily.

I am my own bad companion

#23 Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I had a talk with my friend about this, and she concluded that what she saw were not peppercorns. Nor were they capers. They were sear-marks, i.e., burnt or blackened sections of fish as a result of the grill they were cooked on.
#24 Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Beanitarian

The boring truth

Beanitarian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page