Weird Things Your Family/Relatives/Friends Give You, or at least Try to Give You - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

This is a spinoff from the What's the Worst Christmas Gift You Ever Received? thread because not every gift you get is for Christmas. Sometimes your mother (or your aunt, your sister, your grandmother) just gives you something when you're visiting.

I was reading the new issue of Parade magazine, saw a "Sunday Dinner" recipe for beef (ew) and remembered the time my mother was downsizing her cookbook collection and gave me a meat cookbook - long after I'd become a vegetarian. She stuck it in a bag of other stuff I was taking from her house, so I didn't see it until I got home. I donated it to a rummage sale.

Then there was the time my sister tried to give me the maternity dress she wore - back in 1984. That thing would look like a furniture cover on me. It hung all the way down to her ankles, the style at the time, heavy, since she wore it in February (I'm menopausal now), and about 2 or 3 sizes bigger than anything I ever worn, since my sister has always been built bigger than me. I kept refusing it, even though she said it could be altered, and she finally gave up trying to get me to take it. Sheesh!

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

First one that comes to mind is my MIL bought me a nice shower mirror so I could shave in the shower. When my wife talked to her mother her mother asked how I like my B-day present. My wife asked her mom if she was trying to tell me something being I've had a beard for the last 10 years or so, lol.
#3 Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom tries to give me stuff that's too big for my apartment, just because she's getting rid of it for something newer and better, or because she doesn't want it anymore and it 'takes too much space". My living space is smaller than hers, why would she think I want it? I know she's just thinking of me before throwing stuff out, but still.
#4 Old 04-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

My Dads Sister....technically my Aunt we werent close.... always gave me something with fur...lined coats & espically earmuffs she would find pairs for me all year on her many travels and give them to me all year and I would always remind her that I dont wear fur and she would apologize and promise not to do it again and then do it all over again....I always donated the goods to the shelter and they kept alot of people warm during the cold winters.

anything and everything cooking.....they give me cookbooks, cooking mits, pot holders, dishes, napkins, placemats, untensils, silverware, salt & pepper shakers ect and I dont want anyone to get the wrong Idea....I appreciate any gifts people get me.....cause I do believe its the thought..BUT and its a bigg one I loathe cooking and everything associated with it.....well except the eating I mean...I mean I love cooking with my sweetie but honestly he does 99.9% of the cooking and I just help out a lil bit.....I give all my cooking gifts to my Sweetie and hope he can use them or we can use together and if we cant they all get donated and the shelter can always use Kitchenware.

Peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#5 Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure this counts, but my aunt gives me lotions and whatnot that are tested on animals because she sells them to earn a bit of extra cash.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#6 Old 04-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been living with my idiot flatmate for well over a year now. He's desperate to give me food, I'm not sure why, I think so I'll like him. But after nearly 2 years, he still hasn't got it through his thick skull that I don't eat animal products. This means I am constantly being offered pepperoni pizza or fish (whole raw fish!) everytime I go into the kitchen. One time he tried to give me salad that was blatantly covered in cheese and acted surprised that cheese ('white cheese') had milk in it, another time he handed me a bowl of soup with a huge dollop of cream in it so when I declined, he made me another bowl. Half way through eating it, I realized it had egg in it - and he wonders why I won't eat anything he gives me now, even if it seems vegetarian. So anyway, the weird crap that he gave me one time, probably at a point when he had actually managed to process that I don't eat ****ing animals, was a carrier bag of frozen nettles. Wow, thanks.
#7 Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

This isn't weird, just annoying.

Every Passover for a number of years, my aunt would wrap up the leftovers and hand me bags full of food.

It was easy to get rid of the sweets at work, but I couldn't eat all of the entrees and matza fast enough before it all went bad.

Oh yea, and my FIL has tried to pass off a bunch of cloths to me, that just didn't fit my taste...

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#8 Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

My mum and bf's mum give me some so-not-me clothes sometimes - really girly, glittery stuff. I work in the countryside and spend most of my time covered in mud/muck/chainsaw oil. Perhaps I'm just not taking the hint?!

And a friend once brought me a colouring book - 'The C*nt Colouring Book'. Yup, a whole book of lady parts for my colouring pleasure. I have no idea where she bought it!

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#9 Old 04-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Another thing that my mum always tries to pawn off on me is clothes. You have to understand that I wear size L or XL. She wears 3XL. I know she just wants me to do the legwork into donating the stuff, so she'll just tell me that some of the stuff might be made small, or that some of the stuff can be used as lounge wear since it's too big to wear out. I never keep any of it. Next time, I'll just tell her to bring it to the local volunteer centre herself (they take clothing, food, and baby items among other things as donation and set it up so people in need can go browse and take what they need for free, as long as they can prove their low-income status).
#10 Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post

And a friend once brought me a colouring book - 'The C*nt Colouring Book'. Yup, a whole book of lady parts for my colouring pleasure. I have no idea where she bought it!

That's got to be one of the oddest gifts ever.
#11 Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Beginner

I was once given a roll of speaker wire for my birthday by my ex-husband...gee, thanks.
#12 Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

old magazines.....like national geographic, time, ect....not really my style....I am am all you, cosmo and any sport magazine gal....

peace

#13 Old 05-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

One Christmas I was given access to a tool that I had asked for (router). The tool was given to my father who didn't know how to use it, or actually even want to. However it also stayed at my parent's house and so was pretty much useless to me, as I wanted to use it on things at my home. I never figured out the thinking on that.
It wasn't an expensive tool, and it was the only thing I had asked for (I even helped pick it out). I didn't get any other present that was expensive (so they would have thought they were spending too much on me). I also didn't get another present as a replacement, I got make-do gifts instead (handkerchiefs, toothbrush, shampoo, etc.). It's still at my parent's house and the only person to ever use it has been me.

I am my own bad companion

#14 Old 05-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Beginner

My gfs dad just gave me a voodoo man earlier today wtf, I don't literally know if its voodoo but god damn it, it is creepy but kinda cool lol when I get home tomoz i'll post a pic of it maybe someone here might know what it is. I'll describe roughly though its about 2ft tall carved out of wood its like a man beating a drum with a stick, and he has a large hat z.z I'm just calling it voodoo man lol, I really don't know where this is gonna go lol but didn't have the heart to say it scared me lol
#15 Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

as a thank-you for helping the parents of a close friend they gave ..me a large boxx of Omaha Steak & Omaha Steak Burgers.....yeah okay...ummmmmm thanx....LOL....I gave it to my family....but still sheesh...

Peace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page