Dining While Black - Page 7 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#181 Old 05-05-2012, 01:12 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=delicioso;3151752]Rules aren't laws. A restaurant can say you have to do something, but it may or may not be the law. Anytime I've disputed anything on my bill at a restaurant, it's been corrected in my favor. I'm really surprised that they made the family pay that tip. And locking them inside? That doesn't sound legal.[/QUOTE]

This only proves how tipping seems confusing. A policy and the law are two different matters.

Locking someone up in a room against their will would be defined as kidnapping. Furthermore is far more serious than not paying a bill, which they had done. They stated that the service was appaling and refused to pay the % of the tip that was demanded.
A firm that writes a statement of a bill or on the premises doesn't necessarily mean that it is a legal fact.
Certain shops in France put up signs saying that they are entitled to search your shopping bag. This in fact is compeltely illegal and they still do it.

Even the police could not give the people an answer to wether not paying the gratuity was illegal or not !

From my point of view it seems that the people who were locked up would have a court case against the restaurant. Supposing that one of them suffered a heart attack due to the stress of being locked up ?

Confusing.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-service.html

http://consumerist.com/2012/05/diner...-gratuity.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 Old 05-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingypeppers View Post

The title of this thread should be changed to Waitressing While White.

Hmmm ..

Would be interesting to know the experiences of black waiting staff on, respectively:

1. Waiting on whites and tipping

2. Waiting on blacks and tipping
#183 Old 05-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Rules aren't laws. A restaurant can say you have to do something, but it may or may not be the law. Anytime I've disputed anything on my bill at a restaurant, it's been corrected in my favor. I'm really surprised that they made the family pay that tip. [B]And locking them inside? That doesn't sound legal.

This only proves how tipping seems confusing. A policy and the law are two different matters.

Locking someone up in a room against their will would be defined as kidnapping. Furthermore is far more serious than not paying a bill, which they had done. They stated that the service was appaling and refused to pay the % of the tip that was demanded.
A firm that writes a statement of a bill or on the premises doesn't necessarily mean that it is a legal fact.
Certain shops in France put up signs saying that they are entitled to search your shopping bag. This in fact is compeltely illegal and they still do it.

Even the police could not give the people an answer to wether not paying the gratuity was illegal or not !

From my point of view it seems that the people who were locked up would have a court case against the restaurant. Supposing that one of them suffered a heart attack due to the stress of being locked up ?

Confusing.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-service.html

http://consumerist.com/2012/05/diner...-gratuity.html

Many restaurants add a mandatory gratuity if you have a large party; it's more of a service fee than a tip, really. It essentially becomes part of the bill and skipping out on your bill is illegal.

Plus, this information is usually printed on the menu, told to the diners at time of reservation, and told to them again at the time of ordering. If, after being told at least once that there's a mandatory gratuity added to the bill, you continue to eat, then you're obligated to pay the whole bill. So, if the family was told about the gratuity before they ate, they have absolutely no excuse to skip out on it.

Sure, you might not think, after the fact, that the gratuity is justified but you had already agreed to pay it.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#184 Old 05-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Hmmm ..

Would be interesting to know the experiences of black waiting staff on, respectively:

According to every black server I've worked with, black people are typically not the best tippers and white people are typically good/decent tippers.
#185 Old 05-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

According to every black server I've worked with, black people are typically not the best tippers and white people are typically good/decent tippers.

Fairy Nuff ...

Any clues why though?
#186 Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Hmmm ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

i don't give much of my time to tables full of foreigners because 99% of the time, they never tip at all, not even poorly. does that mean i hate foreigners? no, just means i'm not going to put much time into tables i know i'm going to end up losing money on. when you don't tip, i still have to tip out the kitchen, the bussers and the runners on your table. so a table full of drunk australians is going to cost me, personally, out of my money, 15$ when they leave me nothing. you've got to prioritize when you're responsible for 100 other drunks for 12 - 16 hours a day. i'm never rude, i never assume black people are coatchecks (what the **** is that about?), but i'm quick, pick up their orders, drop them off quick, etc. i'm just not personable. i introduce myself, list off the specials, get their drinks and move on. i've got to cut corners where i can, and that's nothing personal, that's just the job. black women are also more... hostile towards me than others are, and sometimes are astonishingly rude to me first. my top five worst waitress experiences in my entire (almost!!! ****!) 10 years of waiting tables have all been black women. black women have driven me to drink on the job, burst into tears, throw money on their table and quit my job on the spot. that doesn't mean all black women are ****ty tippers.

Quote:

i tip:

waitstaff - 30%, unless ****ty service, then 20%
bartenders - a dollar a drink, if the drink is 5$ or less, 5$ or more is 2$ a drink
hairdresser - 20-25% depending on what was done (cut and/or colour)
tattoo artist - 25%
delivery guy (food) - 15%
cab - 15%
valet/airport bag carrying guy - 5 or 10$

as for the questions on the first page, idk. black women might see me as a threat, but why? i'm working, they are out on a date. they frequently put me down based on my choice of words (no ebonics? you're uppity. ebonics? well you're just a dumb girl. educated? well obviously not that educated if you're working as a waitress. use a multi syllable word? do you even know what that word means?), make backhanded compliments about my appearance (you'd be so much prettier if you cared about your hair/put something in your hair. you'd have such a nice face if you dealt with those horrible eyebrows.) or the like. and they are ever so demanding. if i got a quarter every time a black couple sent me back to the kitchen for a side of this or a side of that or you didn't tell me my food was going to be like this send it back and im not paying for it, i need more ice cubes, you brought me napkins instead of wetwipes, why aren't you quicker? let me talk to your manager, i could wait tables faster than you i want a new server, i would have enough money to give up food service for forever.

to be fair, older white men also make the same sort of disparaging comments about my intelligence often, but usually by the time i get to them i'm so fed up with my 89789723 trip back to the kitchen for the black table that i just snap back. they always leave a generous tip afterwards, as well. i guess being embarrassed and called out as an ******* is an okay thing for them. the one that stands out so clearly in my mind was a couple of biz guys were having lunch, and one of them off hand asked me a question about something, expecting me to not be able to answer. instead i knew what they were talking about and replied, and ended it with something like "it's just going to turn into a Malthusian trap." the man who asked me the question sneered and asked if i even knew what Malthusian was. i snapped back, 'Thomas Malthus, an Essay on on the Principle of Population, The Nature of Rent and Principles of political economy. I had to read them for high school economics, did you have to wait until college, or have you still not read them? just because i'm waiting tables doesn't mean i'm illiterate or uneducated, and i probably subscribe to the same magazines as you do. The Economist? The New Yorker?' his jaw was on the floor. he left me a 45% tip though. i quit that job that day, hahahaa.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#187 Old 05-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:

i don't give much of my time to tables full of foreigners because 99% of the time, they never tip at all, not even poorly. does that mean i hate foreigners? no, just means i'm not going to put much time into tables i know i'm going to end up losing money on. when you don't tip, i still have to tip out the kitchen, the bussers and the runners on your table. so a table full of drunk australians is going to cost me, personally, out of my money, 15$ when they leave me nothing. you've got to prioritize when you're responsible for 100 other drunks for 12 - 16 hours a day. i'm never rude, i never assume black people are coatchecks (what the **** is that about?), but i'm quick, pick up their orders, drop them off quick, etc. i'm just not personable. i introduce myself, list off the specials, get their drinks and move on. i've got to cut corners where i can, and that's nothing personal, that's just the job. black women are also more... hostile towards me than others are, and sometimes are astonishingly rude to me first. my top five worst waitress experiences in my entire (almost!!! ****!) 10 years of waiting tables have all been black women. black women have driven me to drink on the job, burst into tears, throw money on their table and quit my job on the spot. that doesn't mean all black women are ****ty tippers.

Of course, if they see you aren't giving them much time, they are even less likely to tip you, no? As a taxi driver, I try to treat people more by the way they treat me. If they are respectful and courteous, they get good service. If not, not.

Black passengers are notorious for leaving no tip, or poor tips. However if my black passenger is courteous, and I am courteous back, I am more likely to get some kind of a tip, than from a black passenger who from the get-go is annoying. If the passenger is respectful and courteous, I am respectful and courteous back, no matter what their race or ethnicity. If they ask me to make stops that they just suddenly thought of, that would add to how much time I have to spend on them, I negotiate the tip before hand. "I'm not supposed to make stops, can you throw me a couple of extra dollars if I do?" Stuff like that. I don't know if you can do that in the table-serving business, but no-one knows what is going on inside my cab except me and the passengers. No cameras, and the gps tracking devices aren't working properly.
#188 Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

If you show up to an emergency room and that hospital receives federal funding, they cannot deny you treatment, regardless of whether or not you have insurance. So if you have an accident or an acute disease that suddenly hits, you'll get treated and then sent a really large bill.

I'm honestly not sure what happens to people who have chronic diseases like cancer without insurance. I imagine they may be eligible for Medicaid, which is a very strict and bare-bones federal and state supported medical program, but as I understand it, it is very limited and not every hospital accepts it.

Show up with acute disease they only have to give you emergency life-saving or limb-saving treatment. For example show up with acute abdominal pain and say because of it you've ate almost nothing for 2 weeks, they'l put you on a saline drip to treat your dehydration, and do a few x-rays to look for life-threatening emergencies. If they don't find any (and they won't find anything on x-rays if you have a multiple stomach ulcers that aren't bleeding enough to be life threatening, but cause you to throw up everything you try to hold down) they'll say we didn't find anything, go to a gastro-enterologist. If you don't have money or insurance, no gasto-enterologist will see you, because they will have been told by the hospital that your life isn't in immediate danger. When you haven't eaten for 2 more weeks, the hospital will look at you again, and send you off to a mental hospital to be treated for anorexia where they will force feed you, and give you tranquilizers when you complain this is causing you stomach pain. Eventually you will be kept in a state of nearly unconsciouness, with a stomach tube, until you die. If you are lucky your ulcer will start to bleed severely, whereupon blood tests will show life-threatening anemia, and you will throw up blood, and when you are about ready to die, only then will they call in a gastro-enterologist to save your life, by prescribing prilosec instead of tranquillizers, and they'll give you a blood transfusion. If you never have a life-threateing bleed, you will be maintained on tranquilizers so you can't complain too much about the stomach tube. I know it cost them more money over the long run to do it this way - but they have principles to live by. No treatment unless your disorder is life-threatening or limb-threatening.

If you have an hernia, that makes it impossible for you to walk and hold down your normal job of being a waiter - sorry, no treatment, the illness threatens nothing. Should the hernia become strangulated and start cutting off the blood supply to your intestines, which become gangrene - only then will you get hernia surgery - along with having half you guts removed due to the gangrene. Yes, this is much more expensive than simple hernia surgery would have been several years ago - but a simple hernia does not threaten life or limb, only a strangulated hernia does - which usually takes years and years of living with a hernia to happen, though most of the time it never happens at all.

Same goes if you have migraine headaches. They won't give you much in the way of oxycodone, despite what the newspapers are saying about how freely it is given out. You won't die from the pain.
#189 Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Of course, if they see you aren't giving them much time, they are even less likely to tip you, no? As a taxi driver, I try to treat people more by the way they treat me. If they are respectful and courteous, they get good service. If not, not.

how much time can you spend on a table? my sections averaged 10 tables, with the largest table holding 25 people, with an average of 7. 7 x 10 = 70 people, if there was a party at the big table, 100.
i staid maybe 30 seconds tops, at any table. that's more than enough time to say my name, smile, drink specials, happy birthday, happy hen/stag party, whatever, and then leave. more than that, and i run the risk of pissing off the rest of the tables. if you expect to have long, languid conversations with a server, don't go to a bar.

#190 Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess it is different here. Tipping usually never happens, but waiters and waitresses arent really expected to say anything to a table, other than make sure they have water/drinks, and taking the orders and delivering the plates of food. We are quite indifferent to them and they are indifferent to us.
#191 Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Ugh. I've heard horror stories from people who were pizza delivery drivers. Bad tips, crappy pay, having to go into sketchy areas, and encounters with some seriously scary or questionable people. It seemed like the only benefit was the free food for those who were lucky enough to have cool bosses.

It's not something one would usually consider a dangerous job, but it actually really is.

Quote:

my boyfriend was a pizza driver in a college town (Athens, Georgia) and he's got some battle stories. Robbed by crackheads, showing up to deliver a pizza which turns into just a stick up at an abandoned lot, being puked on, having the door opened by naked people getting oral sex, witnessing some f'ed up crimes, being given fake money, etc. but there are some awesome ones too, like delivering pizzas to the B-52s or delivering to MGMT and being tipped out with a cd of demos instead of cash. There are always bad and good sides to everything.

Glenn, the asian guy, from The Walking Dead was a pizza delivery driver before the zombie Apocalypse. two seasons in and he's still alive. that says something, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

My brother got a gun held to his head while he was a delivery guy for KFC. It is dangerous.

There is one story I heard several years ago that will always stick with me, and made me never consider a delivery job as an option for me: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/1...llarbomb/all/1 (though apparently the guy was in on it, still, people are insane)

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#192 Old 05-10-2012, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

There is one story I heard several years ago that will always stick with me, and made me never consider a delivery job as an option for me: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/1...llarbomb/all/1 (though apparently the guy was in on it, still, people are insane)

That's the craziest crime i think i've ever heard, and those people involved look so so stupid, i know looks don't necessarily mean anything with intelligence, but i just find it hard to believe any of them came up with it, perhaps it gets even more confusing and there is a smarter person behind it all, that only Rothstein knew about, pretty interesting.
#193 Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 AM

they made a movie out of that!

#194 Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

The people behind the movie swear they never even knew about it and it's not based on it at all, which i would believe because the only thing in common is the pizza boy and bank robbery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page