Dining While Black - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 04-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

I don't tip and I won't tip unless it's exceptional service. They're paid exactly the same or more than me (I'm on minimum wage) and I don't get tips but I do my job just the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annia View Post

I don't tip and I won't tip unless it's exceptional service. They're paid exactly the same or more than me (I'm on minimum wage) and I don't get tips but I do my job just the same.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, US wait staff actually get paid less than minimum wage, because it's just expected that their tips will make up most of their income. But obviously, things vary depending on where you live. This is why American wait staff at restaurants hate having foreigners as customers - people from other countries frequently don't know that they're supposed to tip.

--Fromper
#33 Old 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

As mentioned earlier in the thread, US wait staff actually get paid less than minimum wage, because it's just expected that their tips will make up most of their income. But obviously, things vary depending on where you live. This is why American wait staff at restaurants hate having foreigners as customers - people from other countries frequently don't know that they're supposed to tip.

--Fromper

When I was in California I tipped because I knew that. My problem is here in the UK. I hate how it's somehow expected of us to tip in restaurants/whatnot despite the fact they get paid exactly the same amount as plenty of other people who will never get tips because society doesn't demand it.
#34 Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

--Fromper

Everyone who claims this fails to mention the part where if your salary+tips does not = minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference, therefore they get at least minimum wage no matter what.
#35 Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Tip EVERYONE
#36 Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

Everyone who claims this fails to mention the part where if your salary+tips does not = minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference, therefore they get at least minimum wage no matter what.

Except that's not how it works in practice in the US. Maybe if you work in a corporate, national chain, but many waitstaff don't work in those types of establishments. Many waitstaff in the US work for individual, private owners and are either discouraged or prevented from reporting their tips. This is especially true for bartenders.

While anecdotal, I know, it demonstrates my point that not a single restaurant or bar I've ever worked for has ever provided a means by which for us to report our tips. If we don't report, the employer doesn't know how much under the minimum wage we are and therefore doesn't have to compensate. I worked at a restaurant for a couple months where I left with no more than $80 in my pocket at the end of the shift. Then I started working at a nightclub and would pull in about $300/night.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#37 Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Tip EVERYONE

Yeah, when I was in the UK, I wasn't sure about the tipping practice. I remember someone here telling me the custom but I felt uncomfortable with it so I went with my American standard 20% tip.

#38 Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

Yeah, when I was in the UK, I wasn't sure about the tipping practice. I remember someone here telling me the custom but I felt uncomfortable with it so I went with my American standard 20% tip.

I bet they all LOVED you
#39 Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't tip in Japan.
#40 Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

That's interesting. Do you think they see you as competition or something?

I also don't put as much time into dealing with foreigners. I've never had one tip me. Like you, I'm not rude, I just don't chat and "work it".

I guess I could see how that would be. Here when you go to a restaurant, nobody tips. You just pay for the food and leave. People tip occasionally, but it is not a common practise.

When I was in the states recently me and my parents and grandmother went to a Chillis at the airport and they got crabby at us because we didnt tip. But they gave us cold food (which was supposed to be heated). My bean burger pattie was cold and it was a really bad meal in general. So what did they expect?
#41 Old 04-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

I guess I could see how that would be. Here when you go to a restaurant, nobody tips. You just pay for the food and leave. People tip occasionally, but it is not a common practise.

When I was in the states recently me and my parents and grandmother went to a Chillis at the airport and they got crabby at us because we didnt tip. But they gave us cold food (which was supposed to be heated). My bean burger pattie was cold and it was a really bad meal in general. So what did they expect?

If they served you a dish cold that was supposed to be hot, that's one thing. But it's not appropriate to not tip just because you don't like the meal, in general.

#42 Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I disagree. If you do your job as it is meant to be done and carry out the minimum of what is reasonable, then that deserves a tip in a country where tipping is customary. But if the service people stand around scratching their arses and wont help you when you ask for help and the food from the kitchen is cold and it is not supposed to be, why should you tip? That is basically the situation we encountered in that restaurant. Sorry, no tip for that.
#43 Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

I disagree. If you do your job as it is meant to be done and carry out the minimum of what is reasonable, then that deserves a tip in a country where tipping is customary. But if the service people stand around scratching their arses and wont help you when you ask for help and the food from the kitchen is cold and it is not supposed to be, why should you tip? That is basically the situation we encountered in that restaurant. Sorry, no tip for that.

No, sorry. I misunderstood you when you said you didn't like the meal in general. I thought you were saying that it would be okay to not tip simply because you didn't like the food (for taste or palette reasons). I misread your statement and I'm fully blaming it on the pain meds.

#44 Old 04-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Tip EVERYONE

I only tip waiters/ waitresses and my hairdresser.
#45 Old 04-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I only tip waiters/ waitresses and my hairdresser.

Speaking of which, what is the customary tip for a hairdresser?

#46 Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well my hairdresser comes to my home to cut our hair and it costs £8 for each of us and we give her £20 to round it off. Ah, frugal times. I remember I used to pay £100 a month to have my hair cut and coloured blonde.
#47 Old 04-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

^£100 a month? Blimey that's a fortune. I pay about £32 for a hair cut (before student discount, woo) and I usually give £5 to split between the hair dresser and the girl who washes my hair. The hair dresser does the actual cutting, but I spend much more time with the girl who washes my hair, gives my head a massage, and usually brings me a coffee and biscuit (they're even vegan, woo again). That's over tipping though and I do it just because it's easier than giving £3.20 which, in the UK, is what would be a "normal" tip if you want to give one.

That said, I've never seen anybody else tip at my hairdressers. I think it's dying out.

You shouldn't feel bad about tipping less than 20% in the UK since staff get paid at least minimum wage, and tips are on top (sometimes they're split between kitchen staff too, or added up and split between all waiting staff, it depends on the resturaunt).

Do people tip bar staff in the UK?
#48 Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular

It costs about $60- $80 to get a haircut and shampoo and blowdry for a woman here, unless you go to a budget place.

There are no frills places, but it is a dry cut without shampoo.. that costs between $25-30 .

So given those prices, there aint no tipping going to happen. In fact, tipping is pretty rare here. Im happy to do it in countries where it is expected but it kind of makes me wonder why it is so uncommon here. Im really glad that it isnt common though, because it is an expensive place to live as is.
#49 Old 04-28-2012, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I only tip black people.
#50 Old 04-28-2012, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

^£100 a month? Blimey that's a fortune.

Do people tip bar staff in the UK?

I know, what a waste of money, this was a hairdressers in Central London though.

I don't tip bar staff but I know guys that worked in bars and they did get tipped by some people, and got a lot of phone numbers from girls.
#51 Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

In my opinion, if you (in the US) don't have money to tip or pay the cover, you shouldn't be going out at all. Nothing bothers me more than people who come out to the clubs, bars, and restaurants and complain about spending money. If you don't have it to spend, then don't go out.

Prehaps this should be added to one of the numerous questions that ESTA requests when applying for a Visa to the US ?

You have to be aware that most people are not aware of the $2/hour wage that staff are earning.It is the employer not the client that is too blame !
This to my mind is a disgrace and if the client is expected to pay the difference than it should be clearly stated on the bill. I would prefer just to have a tax/vat added to it directely.
You can than at least consider that you should automatically add 15 -20% onto the the latter before ordering.
In California there is a minium wage of 8$/per hour so they are not exactly in the slave trade !

I for one contribute largely to the US economy as I buy most of my goods via on-line from the US and UK and travel at least once a year to these countries. During my stay, I buy many goods that I wouldn't buy back here and do also go out and do tip when there is a good service, because that is the etiquette.

http://www.wikihow.com/Tip-Your-Server-at-a-Restaurant
#52 Old 04-28-2012, 05:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Really? That is weird. When I first went to France I remember being really confused as to why there was a woman standing in the toilets staring at me as I didn't realise I was supposed to tip her.

You're right and the same thing happened to me. Being a Brit, I was used to Public WCs !
It still happens ( airports ans hopping malls) and sometimes foreigners get virtually bullied or denied going to the place if they don't pay 50 cts or a 1.
#53 Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I was taught that the more intimate the service the more you tip. So, my hairdresser gets a better tip than the delivery guy although both get good tips.
#54 Old 04-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibabble View Post

I was taught that the more intimate the service the more you tip. So, my hairdresser gets a better tip than the delivery guy although both get good tips.

That is unheard of overhere. I have also never seen anybody tip a delivery man in the UK neither.
#55 Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I see tipping as a basic social courtesy, like saying "please" and "thank you." It's not optional, even for terrible service. It's just part of the cost. I think people who don't tip are jerks. If your service was terrible, you complain like an adult; you don't passively-aggressively tell someone by stiffing them. Because stiffing your wait staff doesn't actually send a message that your service was poor; it sends a message that you're stingy and rude.
#56 Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

Prehaps this should be added to one of the numerous questions that ESTA requests when applying for a Visa to the US ?

You have to be aware that most people are not aware of the $2/hour wage that staff are earning.It is the employer not the client that is too blame !
This to my mind is a disgrace and if the client is expected to pay the difference than it should be clearly stated on the bill. I would prefer just to have a tax/vat added to it directely.
You can than at least consider that you should automatically add 15 -20% onto the the latter before ordering.
In California there is a minium wage of 8$/per hour so they are not exactly in the slave trade !

I for one contribute largely to the US economy as I buy most of my goods via on-line from the US and UK and travel at least once a year to these countries. During my stay, I buy many goods that I wouldn't buy back here and do also go out and do tip when there is a good service, because that is the etiquette.

http://www.wikihow.com/Tip-Your-Server-at-a-Restaurant

I should've been more clear. That rant was specific to US natives and residents who should know better.

Working in the nightlife industry, it's not uncommon to get into arguments with people who are "so broke" they can't afford the $5 cover (really, try going out in another major city or a straight club here, $5 is nothing). If you do t have the money to support the activities you want to do, stay home, don harass the employees who are just doing their job by collecting the cash.

#57 Old 04-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually tip 20% of the pretax bill for standard service.

For poor service, I deduct percentage point for each "offense". There have been times when I've only tipped around 5%.

We occasionally get waitstaff that have a chip on their shoulder for no apparent reason (the Squidward effect, I suppose ), even though my wife and I are easy customers.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#58 Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I see tipping as a basic social courtesy, like saying "please" and "thank you." It's not optional, even for terrible service. It's just part of the cost. I think people who don't tip are jerks. If your service was terrible, you complain like an adult; you don't passively-aggressively tell someone by stiffing them. Because stiffing your wait staff doesn't actually send a message that your service was poor; it sends a message that you're stingy and rude.

I don't know. I disagree. I think it's perfectly acceptable to tip less than customary for intentionally crappy or neglectful service as long as you tell someone--it doesn't have to be the waiter--why you did so. If someone is obviously trying but flustered, they still get my 20%. If they're trying but obviously incompetent, they get 15% which is still within the range of customary tip.

If, on the othe hand, they have an attitude and/or make me, as the customer, feel that I'm bothering them or are willfully ignorant or neglectul towards me, I have no problem giving 5-10% (just for the bus boys' sake) and telling the manager why I was dissatisfied with the waiter. Intentionally poor service should never be rewarded.

#59 Old 04-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

LOL, this was the first thing that came to mind when I started reading this thread.

About the foreigner thing... yeah I waited on a Canadian family about 25 years ago, they sucked, and yeah I still remember it. Mom, Dad and two little kids made a huge mess, crap on the floor, table and booth was a disaster, pricks left me a Canadian dollar for a tip.

I'm sad to read this, because generally Canadians are great tippers. You're supposed to tip everyone and their dog around here. I tend to tip waiter/esses a little lower (usually about 10% rather than 14% customary here), because they make a decent base rate (At least minimum, sometimes a touch more), but I tip my service providers very well. If I get my nails done, waxing, massage...basically anything that requires 1 on 1 attention from someone, I tip handsomely. I figure because these people see less clients in a day, you should make up the difference in tips.

1 server probably sees 20 tables in a night? (total guessing here!) and say she averages $5/table. = $100
Lady doing nails or hair sees 10 people. She does the same amount of work, same hours, but only gets $50 if people follow that pattern.

I'm a massage therapist and I love to see tips. I don't need them because my commission is very good, but I tend to wonder whether I did something wrong when people don't tip. I give everyone the same effort, regardless of whether I think they'll tip or not. If I was serving, and my income depended on it, I could see my attitude being different.
#60 Old 04-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

For someone living in the UK where we have a minimum wage it seems like it is the companies and restaurant owners who are stiffing the staff. Why are they allowed to get away with paying such low wages to their employees so that they have to rely on the customers to get a decent income? It seems so unfair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page