~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

The pride of Sweden, eh?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 03-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Looks like an expensive trailer house.
#4 Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know about you guys, but everything I've ever had from Ikea eventually falls apart
#5 Old 03-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a dream of mine to one day live in a small, prefab home. My house is big and I misplace things constantly. And the cleaning.
#6 Old 03-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Looks like an expensive trailer house.

That's what 'prefab' means.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#7 Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd rather live in a tiny natural home that I built myself. WAY more amazing, and much less than $86,000
#8 Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Give peas a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

I'd rather live in a tiny natural home that I built myself. WAY more amazing, and much less than $86,000

I want to live in one of these Eco-Domes. More sturdy than I imagine the IKEA house would be.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#9 Old 03-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I love those domes! I once saw a house on Jacksonville, FL Beach that was sort of underground in the back, and the front faced the beach with these two huge oval windows that looked like eyes.
#10 Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I make cob/strawbale/earthbag houses and some can be very similar to those (I'm a natural builder). I just haven't made one for myself, yet.
#11 Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Considering in my area you can buy small homes for well under $86k, this seems expensive.

But perhaps its for people who want something new yet still cheap.
#12 Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I have family and coworkers that live in manufactured homes. And they are happy with them. The way they build them now is much better than they used to. Well insulated, 6 inch outside walls available. Gone is the paneling. I scanned the comments for the IKEA house. Much of them were pretty negative. I like small living. There is that site with those really really tiny houses. Some of them can be towed. I think that's great. I'm a homebody so I do need a certain amount of space. Some of the houses built today. So large. And just watch "House Hunters" on HGTV, what some people think they "need"
#13 Old 03-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

Do you ever plan to do this? That would be wonderful!

My oldest brother I haven't spoken to in over 25 years. He's a JW. It's a mess. But he worked as a carpenter and said to me once" I've built some really nice houses and always gave the key over to someone else" I wonder why he never built is own. I know he didn't for a fact because my other brother stays in contact with him. He could have but didn't.

I have a couple of books on small space living and cottages. One of them features homes in the San Francisco Bay Area. It has homes that were, I think they called them, Refugee shacks, after the 1906 earthquake. Houses still standing today that were made from several of and/or added on to those "shacks." They think some of them were hauled as far away as Santa Cruz. Interesting.
#14 Old 03-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

That's what 'prefab' means.

Thanks for the enlightenment.
#15 Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I am surprised they did not make it a kitchen/bathroom. You bathe in the dishwasher and use the toilet in the sink with the garbage disposal to grind down large chunks.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sarcasm!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#16 Old 03-03-2012, 02:47 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I saw a segment on Book TV with some economist (unfortunately, I don't remember his name).

He said that the average American house purchased in 1980 was 1,600 square feet. The average American house purchased in 2007 was 2,300 square feet. What accounts for this nearly 50 percent increase in size?

The economist said the primary reason was the access to good public schools. You have to buy at least the average-costing house in a good-average neighborhood in order to get your kids into a good public school. So there is a competition to buy bigger and "better" houses, whether they are more strictly speaking needed or not just to provide shelter.

The Ikea house is about 750 square feet, so just about half the size of the average 1980 house.

I would imagine that the market for such housing is skewed toward empty nesters, childless couples, single persons and the like.
#17 Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

I have family and coworkers that live in manufactured homes. And they are happy with them. The way they build them now is much better than they used to. Well insulated, 6 inch outside walls available. Gone is the paneling. I scanned the comments for the IKEA house. Much of them were pretty negative. I like small living. There is that site with those really really tiny houses. Some of them can be towed. I think that's great. I'm a homebody so I do need a certain amount of space. Some of the houses built today. So large. And just watch "House Hunters" on HGTV, what some people think they "need"

Same here. I think the Ikea home is cute. I wouldn't want to live in a big house. Too much space, too many rooms to clean, things to fix and way too expensive to heat. I can't watch HGTV shows because they make me cringe. Such a waste of money.
#18 Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

One thing to keep in mind, trailers – oh, uh, prefab homes – are always going to depreciate in value. It's not like buying a normal house. And you may have difficulty selling a prefab house because it's difficult to get financing for older prefab homes, so not many people will be willing or able to buy.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#19 Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Personally I kinda been interested in some of the Micro Homes:

http://www.buildinghomegarden.com/micro-homes.html

#20 Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

Do you ever plan to do this? That would be wonderful!

Yes, it is my dream in life
#21 Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

One thing to keep in mind, trailers – oh, uh, prefab homes – are always going to depreciate in value. It's not like buying a normal house. And you may have difficulty selling a prefab house because it's difficult to get financing for older prefab homes, so not many people will be willing or able to buy.

This is nowhere close to true. Some prefab homes are like trailers, but many are not. There are many levels of prefabrication.
#22 Old 03-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister's house she bought in 1999 is a prefab home and its a two story it looks like a traditional house.
#23 Old 03-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

My sister's house she bought in 1999 is a prefab home and its a two story it looks like a traditional house.

Yup. I think some people believe they are limited to singles and double-wides. I know of plenty of cases where they have appreciated just as any other real property.
#24 Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Same here. I think the Ikea home is cute. I wouldn't want to live in a big house. Too much space, too many rooms to clean, things to fix and way too expensive to heat. I can't watch HGTV shows because they make me cringe. Such a waste of money.

I admit to watching a lot of HGTV. However if at the beginning of a House Hunters episodes it's "we're looking for at least 4 bedrooms, 3,000 square feet......" I change the channel.

And I'm so sick of "granite counter tops" "stainless steel appliances" "needs to be updated" "so outdated" If something were clean and in good working order, be it a sink or stove, I'd keep it.
#25 Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I would imagine that the market for such housing is skewed toward empty nesters, childless couples, single persons and the like.

Like me. Manufactured homes do sell. I've been looking at some online through Realtor.com. All the nice, newer ones do sell. They may not sell in a week. But eventually they are off the site. With a lot of these homes, in 55+ parks, the reality is more will come on the market.
#26 Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

There's some nice manufactured houses out there. Put them on a full foundation, and people don't know the difference.
#27 Old 03-07-2012, 04:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I wouldn't want to live in a big house. Too much space, too many rooms to clean, things to fix and way too expensive to heat.

I live in a larger home and you're right, the cleaning is a serious pain in the arse. It's nice to have space, but with more space comes more floor-tiles to mop, more toilets and bathrooms to clean, more rooms to vacuum, and as soon as you have finished one end, the dust and mess is already building up at the other end. It's no fun.

And even though our house is more energy-efficient than older homes, the amount of energy being used on cooling and heating is still quite alarming so now we're planning to sell it and downsize to something less energy-wasting.

m8itcanw8.com
#28 Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Banned

I think it looks pretty nice, from the photos. But I don't have any snobbery about "trailers"
#29 Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I think it looks pretty nice, from the photos. But I don't have any snobbery about "trailers"

Same.

Although I really want something like one of these: http://www.blueforest.com
#30 Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Banned

I used to be interested in prefab homes and looked into them back in the 90s. There is a huge difference in trailers and prefab houses (or modular homes). Trailers are junk. The walls are very thin and the construction is not made to last. Prefab homes can range from mediocre quality to outstanding. Check out some of the best prefab homes around:

http://www.homedit.com/12-best-prefa...und-the-world/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page