VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Veggie Patch (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16-veggie-patch/)
-   -   Engagement/Wedding rings (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/16-veggie-patch/132473-engagement-wedding-rings.html)

Limes 01-15-2012 06:13 PM

So I'm shopping for my own engagement ring, and I thought, why not ask my favourite crowd? Care to share pictures? Weight/size/cost? Even if you just want to brag...

So where are my married veggies at?

Forster 01-15-2012 06:31 PM

My wife has a .2 carat marquis cut diamond I had to put on her credit card when we got engaged (I was poor and didn't have the money or credit at the time). Cost all of $320 at JC Pennys. It did the job as we are going on 24 years, lol.

ElaineV 01-15-2012 06:41 PM

I always wanted an emerald from a pawn shop. But my sentimental husband gave his grandmother's diamond. It's a gorgeous art deco ring.
Have you seen http://www.greenkarat.com/ ?

Forster 01-15-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I always wanted an emerald from a pawn shop. But my sentimental husband gave his grandmother's diamond. It's a gorgeous art deco ring.
Have you seen http://www.greenkarat.com/ ?

My grandmother had a nice art deco ring (gramps won it in a poker game, lol). 2.5 carats, beautiful stone, my mother and idot aunts had it re-cut after she passed so they could all have a part of it. :facepalm:

Spang 01-15-2012 06:49 PM

I don't care for jewelry, so I consider engagement/wedding rings a waste of money.

Limes 01-15-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

My grandmother had a nice art deco ring (gramps won it in a poker game, lol). 2.5 carats, beautiful stone, my mother and idot aunts had it re-cut after she passed so they could all have a part of it. :facepalm:

Whyyyy?

And thanks for the link Elaine!

Limes 01-15-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

I don't care for jewelry, so I consider engagement/wedding rings a waste of money.

Most of my spare money goes into stuffing my face, so at least a ring is a more permanent waste of money.

River 01-15-2012 06:51 PM

Ingrid gave me a three diamond on white gold, which we've since exchanged for a vintage ruby solitaire, I have her my Grandma's diamond solitaire on a 32k gold band.

Forster 01-15-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Whyyyy?

They wanted to be fair :rollseyes:

I'd have rather one of them got it than destroy the thing... or even sell it, hell I'd have bought it.

Forster 01-15-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

I don't care for jewelry either, the wedding ring is the only piece I've ever bought for my wife. I might have to buy her a second piece in a year or so.

Poppy 01-15-2012 07:10 PM

Three years ago, I gave my diamond to my son to give to his fiancé. Two years later, my husband replaced the hole in my ring with a gorgeous sapphire, which is the birthday stone for both my son and my daughter-in-law. I love it.

amhappy1 01-15-2012 07:20 PM

I opted for moissanite. We had the money for a diamond, but we try to be frugal and using diamonds in the rings I wanted would have been more than we were willing to spend.

http://labcreateddiamondrings.org/wp...dding-sets.jpg

Limes 01-15-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

I opted for moissanite. We had the money for a diamond, but we try to be frugal and using diamonds in the rings I wanted would have been more than we were willing to spend.

http://labcreateddiamondrings.org/wp...dding-sets.jpg

Looks pretty close to the real deal to me How do you find the quality? Is it just as shiny and awe-inspiring as if it were a diamond?

Beetlejuice 01-15-2012 07:30 PM

deleted

amhappy1 01-15-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Looks pretty close to the real deal to me How do you find the quality? Is it just as shiny and awe-inspiring as if it were a diamond?

It's almost as hard and it sparkles more than a real diamond. I'm really happy with it.

SuicideBlonde 01-15-2012 07:58 PM

http://www.zales.com/product/index.j...i_sku=11235778
I want something like this. Its classy, different and very pretty.

paperhanger 01-15-2012 09:09 PM

You're very fortunate to have found love and I'm happy for you that you are engaged. Have you thought about some other means of memorializing the occasion? Despite rationalizations that there are conflict-free or "green" diamonds, they remain the product of an industry fraught with human rights violations of the worst kind. Unfortunately, replacing the diamond with some other precious gemstone doesn't make things much better.

An alternative might be to take the money to set up a fund for a cause that you and your partner both believe in, even if it's only a couple of hundred bucks, and watch it grow together and cash it in for the sake of the benefactor on your 20th, 50th, or whatever anniversary.

MaisieF 01-15-2012 10:44 PM

I'm a sucker for diamonds. I have a white gold wedder with 1 ct of diamonds, and a white gold engagement ring with .5 carat solitaire.

Pixie 01-16-2012 04:58 AM

I have a diamond and platinum engagement ring and a vintage gold wedding band.

(I wouldn't buy a diamond now and I have gained weight so the rings don't fit me anymore anyway so I just keep them in a box.)

.Goth-Alice. 01-16-2012 05:24 AM

My friends husband got her engagement ring from a vintage jewlery shop as shes into the 30's...anyway he basically got change out of a 50, and she picked her own Wedding ring from a little shop in town and again it didnt cost that much.
They are very happy together. The cost of the ring means nothing up against a happy marriage.

I overheard a girl at my friends wedding saying 'well...I CERTAINLY wouldnt accept a ring if it cost less than 3 months wage'
Rude.

dormouse 01-16-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

An alternative might be to take the money to set up a fund for a cause that you and your partner both believe in, even if it's only a couple of hundred bucks, and watch it grow together and cash it in for the sake of the benefactor on your 20th, 50th, or whatever anniversary.

I love that idea, Paperhanger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

My friends husband got her engagement ring from a vintage jewlery shop as shes into the 30's...anyway he basically got change out of a 50, and she picked her own Wedding ring from a little shop in town and again it didnt cost that much.
They are very happy together. The cost of the ring means nothing up against a happy marriage.

I overheard a girl at my friends wedding saying 'well...I CERTAINLY wouldnt accept a ring if it cost less than 3 months wage'
Rude.

Something tells me that it's going to be very hard for that girl to find sustained happiness in a romantic relationship.

AddieB 01-16-2012 06:17 AM

When my grandmom passed away my aunt and my mom kept her engagement ring for me for when I got married to keep it in the family. My husband took the main diamond from it and put it into a new ring to give me something that was my grandmom's and also from him. In place of the diamond now missing from her ring he put a sapphire (my birthstone) and gave it to me as a wedding present.

Identity_thief 01-16-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Rude.

If my boyfriend paid that much on a ring I'd make him take it back! It would be very generous, but not what I would want the money to go on. In terms of months wages, I'd think anything more than ~1/3 of a months wages would be too much for me to accept.

I'm not engaged. My boyfriend and me have talked about and plan getting married, but right now spare money is gettign saved for a mortgage in a few years time. I'd like a nice pretty ring, I like eternity rings rather than a big stone which I really dislike the look of, but it's not important whether it's now or in five years time. We have a lifetime we can wait! I want him to pick the actual ring, although he knows what type I like, it just seems more special to me than me picking something myself.

Pixie 01-16-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Rude.

.Goth-Alice. 01-16-2012 07:57 AM

Exactly! She was a wannabe WAG and as orange as they come so that said it all really (she wasnt a friend she was one of the grooms friends girlfriends and blantantly didnt want to be there...it was a rockabilly/goth wedding)

Anyway. I agree with you Indentity thief...Ive been with my Martin for a very long time. Im glad we saved up for a house and if we decide to get married then itll be under more finacially secure conditions. I hate the though of money being spent on things like rings, ive seen some beautiful rings for next to nothing. Id rather have a ring that tells a story, over one that costs the Earth and looks like every other ring out there!

AeryFairy 01-16-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Rude.

That's ridiculous. The cost of the thing means nothing; it's how personal it is to you, and how much you love the person who wants you to have it.

Actually, if my boyfriend tried to spend three months' wages on a ring, I'd go nuts. There's FAR better things to do with that kind of money, like spending it on the actual wedding.

danakscully64 01-16-2012 09:18 AM

I'm not engaged or married yet, but I already know exactly what I want I love the Halo design, not sure if I like square or circle best:

Like these, with thinner bands (no gap between the center stone and halo):

Earthling 01-16-2012 10:06 AM

I don't have a clear picture of mine but this is a fuzzy one:

It's a diamond on white gold, because I hate yellow gold. There are smaller diamonds in the band. My wedding ring is almost identical but without the large diamond in the middle.

karenlovessnow 01-16-2012 10:11 AM

Square! Square! Square!! Or Emerald cut. I do not like round or oval. Of course, it will be your ring so it doesn't really matter what I think.

I had a cute 'little' 1/2 carat flower diamond for my engagement ring. We are going back to 1973. Hubby paid $100 for it in a department store that is no more, and I'm sure it's way low on the diamond quality scale, but I still love it!

Attachment 17576
LL

Beetlejuice 01-16-2012 10:16 AM

deleted