Facebook from the dead - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technolo...rom-the-grave/

Its an app that lets you set up messages after you pass. You set it up and family or friend uses it after you pass.

What do you think? What would you say?

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Reminds me of a website that sends emails you've written out to everyone after you die. Every couple months it sends a 'check up' email, and you have to click the link to confirm you're still alive. If you don't respond to the first one, it sends a couple more in the following months, and then it assumes you're dead and sends out the emails. You also have the option of pausing the check up emails in case you're not going to have internet access for however long.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I find it all very creepy.
#4 Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I find it all very creepy.

Me too. I also find it creepy when family members leave up dead loved one's FB pages.
#5 Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

I think it's cool. When I die, I want to make sure everyone knows so they aren't left wondering. If I'm gone from VB for more than a week, assume I'm dead.
#6 Old 01-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

My company (a few years ago) actually designed a system to do a similar thing... although for simplicity, it allowed for multiple types of things and events to send messages (such as dates, death, etc). Kind of fell from doing anything with it though... apparently the encryption method we were going to use is "illegal" outside the USA (we were going to encrypt things so no one at the company could ever read messages no matter what--lose the key [user would have only], messages would be gone forever).
#7 Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I think it's cool. When I die, I want to make sure everyone knows so they aren't left wondering. If I'm gone from VB for more than a week, assume I'm dead.

I understand that. If I die, you folks here will probably find out from someone, but the idea of sending emails or status posts from the grave... I feel like that stuff should be passed on by other people in the time-honored tradition of gossip mongering. Some people won't know for a while maybe, but I still think it's better that way.
#8 Old 01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what to think of it. I wouldn't use a service like that, and I think if I was constantly getting reminders from someone who's passed, especially if they were close, I would just be sad. It would make it really hard to move on.
#9 Old 01-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

But how will you know if someone will do it? I used to have a note with all of my passwords and people I wanted contacted in case of my death, but what if that doesn't happen? I'm not too worried now, since the most important people in my life are on Facebook and will hear. And since I have a ton of people on VB on FB, I know the news will make it here. One of our members was sick and many believe passed away, but we never got notified by the family. We still wonder
#10 Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But how will you know if someone will do it? I used to have a note with all of my passwords and people I wanted contacted in case of my death, but what if that doesn't happen? I'm not too worried now, since the most important people in my life are on Facebook and will hear. And since I have a ton of people on VB on FB, I know the news will make it here. One of our members was sick and many believe passed away, but we never got notified by the family. We still wonder

I know people.

But if I didn't, maybe I'd be more interested in something like that, but if I didn't have any other connections to places I frequented online it would probably mean I didn't need to alert them. But I get where you're coming from.

Still creepy.
#11 Old 01-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

I think if I was constantly getting reminders from someone who's passed, especially if they were close, I would just be sad. It would make it really hard to move on.

That's how I feel too.

Quote:

But how will you know if someone will do it? I used to have a note with all of my passwords and people I wanted contacted in case of my death, but what if that doesn't happen? I'm not too worried now, since the most important people in my life are on Facebook and will hear. And since I have a ton of people on VB on FB, I know the news will make it here. One of our members was sick and many believe passed away, but we never got notified by the family. We still wonder :(

?
#12 Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Kiz
#13 Old 01-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I know 2 people who died while I was FB friends with them. In both cases, the status updates were enough to figure it out. Then their accounts were deleted after a couple months.

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#14 Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Banned

Facebook has a feature to keep FB pages as open but mark the people as died somehow, I'm not sure how it works. But this reminds me of one of my friends from school who died. Her sister still updates the page, I wish she would leave the page alone, stop posting statuses from it.
#15 Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

deleted

#16 Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

One of my cousins (one of the few relatives on my Mom's side) passed away just as we were starting to get to know each other on FB. So sad Many friends found out when she was tagged in memorial statuses.
#17 Old 01-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Banned

I think Tupac was the originator of this concept.
#18 Old 01-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I sort of wonder what the people who receive these messages will think? At least with the messages containing text, they may not even believe it's you instead of someone who hacked your facebook or decided to play a cruel trick on them. For the videos... well they'd probably be very creeped out. It may be hard for them to even get the message due to how seeing a video of you directly addressing them after your death will make them feel.
#19 Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Reminds me of a website that sends emails you've written out to everyone after you die. Every couple months it sends a 'check up' email, and you have to click the link to confirm you're still alive. If you don't respond to the first one, it sends a couple more in the following months, and then it assumes you're dead and sends out the emails. You also have the option of pausing the check up emails in case you're not going to have internet access for however long.

I'd be very interested if you would please send me the name and URL of this website. PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly.
#20 Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I'd be very interested if you would please send me the name and URL of this website. PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly.

The one I'm talking about is Dead Man's Switch, but there are some others out there that are similar as well.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#21 Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that a one-off message is fine, especially if there was something you always wanted to say to someone in life that you found difficult, but going back to get a series of ongoing messages seems kind of strange to me.
#22 Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

The one I'm talking about is Dead Man's Switch, but there are some others out there that are similar as well.

Thank you.
#23 Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Idea: Tell people what they should know now, while you're still alive.

Problem solved!!

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#24 Old 01-22-2012, 04:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

I think that a one-off message is fine, especially if there was something you always wanted to say to someone in life that you found difficult, but going back to get a series of ongoing messages seems kind of strange to me.

Although it would really, really suck if that message went out while you were still alive and you didn't want that person to find out just yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page