#1 Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-13-2012, 09:19 AM

I remember hearing about this story. Such an extraordinary event, makes you wonder doesn't it?
#3 Old 01-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Ethiopian authorities also take reports of witchcraft very seriously. I would take this with at least a metric ton of salt.

Not saying that makes it untrue, but the source is highly unreliable on matters of reality and so should not in itself be considered anything approaching evidence.

Just saying. It's an interesting story none the less.

"I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me." "[...]my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition." -Albert Einstein
Don't buy everything you read on the net. Most "Einstein" quotes are lies. He can't defend his honor now; where's the respect for a...
#4 Old 01-14-2012, 03:44 AM
Contributing Member

~

#5 Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Although, it being Ethiopia, they might just as well have decided that lion teeth have a magical power to deter abduction and forced marriage, and started killing more of them to gather their teeth as talismans.

Most of Africa, in general, is in a pretty sate state of affairs with regards to education and treatment of animals (both human and non-human).

But not to be a wet blanket. I agree, yes, one can certainly hope.

"I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me." "[...]my remarks have been elaborated and exaggerated nearly beyond recognition." -Albert Einstein
Don't buy everything you read on the net. Most "Einstein" quotes are lies. He can't defend his honor now; where's the respect for a...
#6 Old 01-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Beanitarian

I echo the reasonable skepticism noted above since the story is not substantiated. The evidence level at present is equal to a story about Sasquatch or UFOs--anecdotal.

However...it's possible for it to be true and would not really be miraculous or unusual if lions act like the domestic cats I've had.

I had one that looked like a bobcat mix (and that's what the shelter said he was?). I lived in a bad neighborhood. He would patrol the perimeter of the apartment and keep watch out the window at night. He'd gently smack my cheek at nighttime if there was something bad going on in the street, and keep doing it until I woke up and told him it was ok. He would position himself between me and any visitor and would go after them if they made any sudden moves.

My current ordinary domestic cats keep watch and notify me if there is something amiss in the yard, like a coyote. They also guarded me when I was undergoing cancer treatment. They took turns being so close to me I'd trip over them--at all times one would be within inches of me and they'd switch every few hours. They would lean their top paws on the toilet seat when I was vomiting. Once I got better they stopped.

I think it is somewhat natural for at least some cats to do this sort of thing. From the article:
Quote:
“A young girl whimpering could be mistaken for the mewing sound from a lion cub, which in turn could explain why they didn’t eat her,” Williams said.

Beanitarian.
#7 Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Banned

One possible small flaw with this idea ..

Quote:
“A young girl whimpering could be mistaken for the mewing sound from a lion cub, which in turn could explain why they didn’t eat her,” Williams said.

Lions (males) are well documented to kill any lion cubs they come across that aren't their own offspring, aren't they?
#8 Old 01-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

The story is probably made up or exaggerated, but weird things happen. Sometimes animals don't act as they normally would, for whatever reason.
#9 Old 01-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Lions (males) are well documented to kill any lion cubs they come across that aren't their own offspring, aren't they?

Did it say if they were male or female? If there were three of them, I assumed they were female.

Anyway, that might be an explanation in itself- they might have been trying to figure out if it was good to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

The story is probably made up or exaggerated, but weird things happen. Sometimes animals don't act as they normally would, for whatever reason.

Yes, no individual is perfectly predictable based on species; there are so many life experiences that can conflate into bizarre reactions.

I imagine the police saw a couple lionesses at some distance, and started telling stories. The kidnappers may have run off for any number of reasons (perhaps because they knew the police were coming?) and decided it was better to leave the kid so they would be less likely to be pursued further.

#10 Old 01-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I've heard a similar story. It was something about a person going through the dark to another village in a area with fierce lions. People expected him to be torn apart, but instead they gathered around him and followed him until he reached the village. I'm sorry but I have no reference for this one, I'm quoting it from memory.

I don't find it unlikely that stuff like this happens now and then. I've personally had close encounters with wildlife... Wild animals coming right up to me, showing no fear, and stuff like that.

Eat Your Vegetables
#11 Old 01-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Beanitarian

It would be cool if it was true though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism_in_animals

Beanitarian.
#12 Old 01-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vepurusg View Post

Ethiopian authorities also take reports of witchcraft very seriously. I would take this with at least a metric ton of salt.

Not saying that makes it untrue, but the source is highly unreliable on matters of reality and so should not in itself be considered anything approaching evidence.

Just saying. It's an interesting story none the less.

vepurslug, are you saying that witchcraft is not serious or real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

I echo the reasonable skepticism noted above since the story is not substantiated. The evidence level at present is equal to a story about Sasquatch or UFOs--anecdotal.

However...it's possible for it to be true and would not really be miraculous or unusual if lions act like the domestic cats I've had.

I had one that looked like a bobcat mix (and that's what the shelter said he was?). I lived in a bad neighborhood. He would patrol the perimeter of the apartment and keep watch out the window at night. He'd gently smack my cheek at nighttime if there was something bad going on in the street, and keep doing it until I woke up and told him it was ok. He would position himself between me and any visitor and would go after them if they made any sudden moves.

My current ordinary domestic cats keep watch and notify me if there is something amiss in the yard, like a coyote. They also guarded me when I was undergoing cancer treatment. They took turns being so close to me I'd trip over them--at all times one would be within inches of me and they'd switch every few hours. They would lean their top paws on the toilet seat when I was vomiting. Once I got better they stopped.

I think it is somewhat natural for at least some cats to do this sort of thing. From the article:

I was thinking of similarities to domestic cats, too. When I was a newborn, one of the family cats would sleep in my crib at night. When I started crying in the middle of the night, she ran to my mom's room and would attack her or otherwise attempt to wake her up. She would meow frantically, and if my mom didn't get up right away she'd start to get more panicked, sometimes scratching her, and then when my mom got up she'd run over to my room and climb into my crib, and go back to sleep when I did.

I think if cats (wild and domesticated) take a liking to someone, for whatever reason (such as a child's cries sounding like a cub, or a domesticated cat's attachment to its family), then they do show that protectiveness.
#13 Old 01-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes, I'm more surprised to find altruism in humans.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#14 Old 01-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

It's real and serious, but whether it works or not is another issue.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#15 Old 01-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

~

#16 Old 01-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Also, dolphins rape.

/I've just shattered your illusions.
#17 Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Also, dolphins rape.

/I've just shattered your illusions.

I knew that. They can be nasty little ****ers.

But so can peoples, and I love them too!

Just specifically not the ones that rape.
#18 Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I mean as a crime, like "penis theft" (look it up)- hysterical reports of supernatural crime, and literal witch hunts that ensue. They had detention camps for people accused of witchcraft (where people were starved, etc.).

I wasn't referring to the genuine religion, or actual practice.

#19 Old 01-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

Just specifically not the ones that rape.

I, too, prefer non-raping dolphins and humans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page