The juggling thread! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

By popular demand, here is the official juggling thread!

Share anything related to juggling here.

---

I'm just a novice when it comes to juggling; I can juggle with 3 balls quite comfortably, and I barely manage 4 balls. Tricks? Just the basics I'm afraid (up the middle).

My youngest brother, however, is quite good. He does 5 relatively easily, and I also think he's managed 7 a few times. He's also got a friend who is literally an expert. This young chap is one of my nations best jugglers, and I think he also went to WJF5. The stuff that he does is really amazing...

Eat Your Vegetables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried, but failed, to learn to juggle. There is something very appealing about juggling though.
#3 Old 01-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

i juggle well, can do it very short or very high or off the wall...didn't know there were lots of tricks though. apparently i've been missing out. plz do share.
#4 Old 01-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I tried, but failed, to learn to juggle. There is something very appealing about juggling though.

When both of my brothers as well as my sister learned to juggle, I just had to learn it as well. At first I thought that I was retarded and completely unable to learn the basics, but you just have to repeat the motions enough times for your brain cells to catch up with you. Persistence and not agility is the clue here.

Eat Your Vegetables
#5 Old 01-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a friend that could juggle with 6 balls for a short amount of time.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#6 Old 01-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

There was some show on Nickelodeon when I was a kid that would have guests on, and they would teach the audience how do whatever it is they do. This one particular guest was a juggler. I learned how to juggle from him. I can juggle up to 3 things at a time. Balls work the best.
#7 Old 01-15-2012, 02:43 PM

I can comfortably do 3 tennis balls, but am impressed with your 4 as I haven't picked that up yet. I can also juggle 6 balls though, and for a very short time indeed. Now, if I can just take a bite out of one of the tennis balls while I'm juggling...

Read samples from my poetry book at www.bruisedroseblossoms.com
#8 Old 01-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

How does anyone juggle 6!? Thats crazy impressive.
I can juggle 3 for about 10 seconds. haha. I want to crochet some juggling balls. New project alert.
#9 Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm waiting to see what Fromper has to say in here.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#10 Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmaster View Post

I can comfortably do 3 tennis balls, but am impressed with your 4 as I haven't picked that up yet. I can also juggle 6 balls though, and for a very short time indeed. Now, if I can just take a bite out of one of the tennis balls while I'm juggling...

So, I assume you're not doing 6 balls as you would with 4? Do you use a crossing pattern with 6 balls?

Eat Your Vegetables
#11 Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I'm waiting to see what Fromper has to say in here.

Heh. My reputation preceeds me.

These days, I rarely juggle any more. I used to juggle a lot years ago, and even performed as a juggler at some Ren Faires (as pictured in my avatar).

I can juggle 5 balls well (30+ seconds at a time, and one trick where I switch the pattern while juggling them), and I can kinda sorta do 6 or 7 on a good day (4-8 catches average, with good runs of 15-20 catches occasionally). Needless to say, I can also do a ton of 3 and 4 ball tricks, besides just keeping them going. ie switching the patterns, under the leg, bouncing a ball of the knee, behind the back, multi-plexing (tossing two at the same time from the same hand), etc.

I can also juggle other things - 3 clubs as seen in my avatar picture, and maybe 4 on a good day. With rings, I can do 5 of them, but not as well as with balls. Rings seem theoretically easier than balls to juggle, because they're thin enough to slide by each other, cutting down on collisions. I've just spent MUCH more time working on balls, so I'm nowhere near as good at other stuff. I can also bounce juggle 5 highly bouncy balls pretty well, but not as well as in the air. That's another thing that's theoretically easier than doing 5 balls in the air, but I just haven't worked on it as much.

Tangle, when juggling odd numbers of objects, it's always a crossing pattern. When juggling even, the easiest pattern is to not cross them. So 6 balls is pretty much just 3 in one hand with both hands at the same time. But ironically, that's not how I learned 4. Without anyone to explain that to me, I invented my own crossing 4 ball pattern, which I later learned is known as 552 in site swaps.

Veganmaster, I originally learned with tennis balls, too. Then I was introduced to real juggling equipment, and realized just how tough tennis balls are compared to real juggling balls (weighted bean bags). Tennis balls are so light that they sometimes bounce out of your hand when trying to catch them. They also bounce off each other when they collide midair, which makes recovering after a collision impossible. I highly recommend getting some balls from a serious juggling supply maker if you're juggling regularly.

--Fromper
#12 Old 01-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Tangle, when juggling odd numbers of objects, it's always a crossing pattern. When juggling even, the easiest pattern is to not cross them. So 6 balls is pretty much just 3 in one hand with both hands at the same time.

Yes, that I why was puzzled when veganmaster wrote that he does 6 balls, but not 4. I assume that this is because he must use a crossing pattern, instead of first learning how to do 4 balls in the regular way, and then learn to 6.

Can you sort this out for us veganmaster?

Eat Your Vegetables

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page