Kim Jong Il dead at 70 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...219610874.html
Quote:
SEOUL—North Korean leader Kim Jong Il has died, North Korean state television said Monday.

Mr. Kim died from fatigue during a train ride on Saturday, a weeping television announcer said.

State TV also announced that Kim Jong Eun will take over as leader.

Declining health and a stroke recently. Also speculation was he had pancreatic cancer much like the enigmatic dictator Steve Jobs.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/s...ies/52058036/1
Quote:
Kim is believed to have suffered a stroke in 2008 but he had appeared relatively vigorous in photos and video from recent trips to China and Russia and in numerous trips around the country carefully documented by state media. The communist country's "Dear Leader" — reputed to have had a taste for cigars, cognac and gourmet cuisine — was believed to have had diabetes and heart disease.
The news came as North Korea prepared for a hereditary succession. Kim Jong Il inherited power after his father, revered North Korean founder Kim Il Sung, died in 1994. In September 2010, Kim Jong Il unveiled his third son, the twenty-something Kim Jong Un, as his successor, putting him in high-ranking posts.
Kim Jong Il had been groomed for 20 years to lead the communist nation founded by his guerrilla fighter-turned-politician father and built according to the principle of "juche," or self-reliance.
Even with a successor, there had been some fear among North Korean observers of a behind-the-scenes power struggle or nuclear instability upon the elder Kim's death.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if it was really fatigue like they say, or if it was possibly another stroke?
#3 Old 12-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Not sure whether this is good or bad. Supposedly his son is a bit of a dunce. Also ironic that in a nation full of starving people their leader dies of excess.
#4 Old 12-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

This would be a good time for the North Korean people to rise up.
#5 Old 12-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing for that poor country.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 12-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned

Who is this and is he a bad guy or a good guy?
#7 Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

He's a dead guy.
#8 Old 12-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

deleted
#9 Old 12-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

He was the leader behind North Korea, often thought to be one of the worst dictators of the present day.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#10 Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

If you haven't ever read this section of his wiki it's worth reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-il#Personality

i hear in my mind all of these voices
i hear in my mind all of these words
i hear in my mind all of this music
#11 Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't see how this is a bad thing. Its hard for North Korea to get worse.
#12 Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

He's like the Scrooge McDuck of North Korea. He takes up all the moneys and nobody else gets any. Oh, and he launches rockets at Japan.
#13 Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Banned

deleted

#14 Old 12-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I can't see how this is a bad thing. Its hard for North Korea to get worse.

They could go to war with South Korea.

http://ar.vegnews.org
(My animal rights FAQ)
#15 Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

They could go to war with South Korea.

They are at war with South Korea. Still.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#16 Old 12-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep. And they periodically do stuff like attack random South Korean people or kidnap them.
#17 Old 12-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

They are at war with South Korea. Still.

They could launch full-scale military attacks on South Korea. And they still likely have nuclear weapons.

Tam! RUGH!
#18 Old 12-19-2011, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

The regime in power is not dumb enough to launch a full scale attack on South Korea. They would be obliterated and would, subsequently, lose control and they know that. When they do attack, they do so to intentionally provoke a counter attack, which produces just enough dead North Korean soldiers for them to use the "tragedy" as propaganda to convince the increasingly impoverished and starving working class that South Korea is a threat and that the regime of Kim Jong Il (and now King Jong Un) is still needed. You know, the old using fear to maintain control trick.

The problem is that Kim Jung Un, though just at nutty as his dad, is not half as smart. I'm sure he was given a "how to keep people oppressed" manual by his dad, and that will work for a while. But when something unexpected happens, he will not know how to deal with it. The regime will eventually collapse, no doubt about it. But given it's current condition compared with other countries who have been in similar conditions throughout history, unless something goes down quick as the result of an upcoming power struggle, and Kim Jong Un does indeed assume control, I'd give it another 10 to 20 years or so before North Korea is "ripe" for a revolution. Then again, sometimes unexpected things happen.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#19 Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 AM

I don't think any of the "mourners" that I've seen on TV are going to win an Oscar.

#20 Old 12-19-2011, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow this was shocking news and not sure if its good or bad.
#21 Old 12-19-2011, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

They're not even certain what his age was. I think it'll remain a Dictatorship and a Communist country, so I don't think much will change after this.
#22 Old 12-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I don't think any of the "mourners" that I've seen on TV are going to win an Oscar.

what do you mean?
#23 Old 12-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

what do you mean?

They'd might as well have guns held to their heads.

Tam! RUGH!
#24 Old 12-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

A moment of silence for Kim Jong Il The Originator Of All Sunshine And The Bringer Of All Nice And Comfy Things And His Supreme Magnificence In All Its Overwhelming Glory Radiating Downwards.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#25 Old 12-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

As hard to believe as it may be, there are actually people within North Korea that will genuinely mourn his death. His country is something of a cult, and there are certain privileged communities, such as those in the capital city, who see him in the way that many see God.

Check out the National Geographic documentary where they go in with a doctor who has been given permission to do a bunch of eye surgeries and teach the North Korean doctors how to use various donated equipment. It's almost creepy at the end. The Nepali doctor uses donated American medical equipment, and the people are thanking Kim Jong Il for restoring sight in the same way that a religious person might thank God for watching over them after a major surgery.

Seems to be on youtube for now in segments. I think it's also on Netflix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_268_pBvPs

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#26 Old 12-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Ex-*****

On the news earlier tonight they mentioned that in addition to the obvious fact that the regime wants to stay in power and continue the insane cult-like repression of the people, the neighbouring countries don't really want the regime to fall either as they don't want to have to take care of the millions of refugees this could generate.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#27 Old 12-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

As hard to believe as it may be, there are actually people within North Korea that will genuinely mourn his death. His country is something of a cult, and there are certain privileged communities, such as those in the capital city, who see him in the way that many see God.

Check out the National Geographic documentary where they go in with a doctor who has been given permission to do a bunch of eye surgeries and teach the North Korean doctors how to use various donated equipment. It's almost creepy at the end. The Nepali doctor uses donated American medical equipment, and the people are thanking Kim Jong Il for restoring sight in the same way that a religious person might thank God for watching over them after a major surgery.

Seems to be on youtube for now in segments. I think it's also on Netflix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_268_pBvPs

A gun to the head is a gun to the head, even if it's invisible and you falsely believe you love it. Indoctrination is ugly.

Tam! RUGH!
#28 Old 12-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was studying at Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, I actually had some North Korean classmates. At first I assumed they were South Korean, as more than half the students were South Korean, followed by Japanese with a white guy like myself here and there not exactly blending in. But... after numerous attempts to communicate with them I came to the assumption that either my limited Korean language proficiency was much, much worse than I thought, or they just didn't like me for some unknown reason. The South Korean students informed me that they were from the North and were not allowed to chat with any of the other foreign students, ESPECIALLY those from either the U.S. or South Korea, outside of what was absolutely necessary for class. They also always went to class in pairs, with one assigned to basically spy on the other and report him (there were no North Korean girls) if he did anything he wasn't supposed to do. They were also not allowed to leave campus. They were, of course, their own rules, not China's. The rest of us got along marvelously and had a wonderful time while the North Korean students, who basically hid in their dorms the whole time, had a hell of a time trying to pick up Chinese considering the only time they had the opportunity to speak it was in class with the teacher.

#29 Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

A gun to the head is a gun to the head, even if it's invisible and you falsely believe you love it. Indoctrination is ugly.

how long have you been married?

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page