Drunk driver on suspended license kills cyclist and laughs about it. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYXBwITsQ1k

She's done a horrible thing, and doesn't seem to understand the severity of the situation. She already had a DUI from 11 months before that, did not have a valid license, and was driving drunk again when she killed this person.

Here's the man she killed:

Quote:
Martin Luther King Jr. Day the day before Arrington was sentenced had been one of the most important days of the year for LEcuyer. Every year on the holiday he attended memorial events and handed out copies of a pamphlet that he created and paid to have printed.

The Personal Mission Statement that LEcuyer distributed included inspirational messages and a couple of blank pages where he encouraged people to write down your dreams. He hoped everyone would have several ideas they wanted to bring to fruition during their life.

LEcuyer had many such dreams. He lived a spartan lifestyle, riding his bicycle everywhere so hed have more money available to help others. Just a week or so before his death, LEcuyer who had only $600 to his name spent $150 for a grocery gift card to give to a family on Thanksgiving.

He rode in competitive bicycle races, including El Tour de Tucson, to raise money for charities. He took part in a Tucson-Phoenix bike ride and, when it was canceled, continued it on his own, recruiting friends to ride and solicit pledges.

- Full story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

She, "John", and whoever it was that relayed the message to her, are disgustingly vile people. I despise people who drive under the influence, and anyone who encourages it. Like the author of the article, I also doubt she's going to start her own organization when she get's out. Sick.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 12-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't even find words about this woman. I feel sick listening to that conversation.
#4 Old 12-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Ira
Banned

Honestly, i don't think the conversation says anything about her having remorse or not. yes, she laughed at the sick jokes of her friend but i would assume in this situation everyone would want to laugh to for a second forget what situation one is in. her tone of voice doesn't sound happy at all. it doesn't even seem like a genuine laqugh, but more as response laugh as in her trying to do it

but of course what she did was horrible, especially since it was a second offense
#5 Old 12-18-2011, 11:34 AM

That is just so sad! I am a cyclist and I would hate to see that happen. What was she thinking with no license and was drunk? I hope that she has to pay for it. And I dont say that mich but Ihoep she gets a life sentence
#6 Old 12-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Driving drunk is horrible, but I don't think laughing at a bad joke should have any effect on her sentence. People laugh for all sorts of reasons. I agree that she doesn't sound happy and I wouldn't be surprised if she also cried during that same phone call. She looks pretty devastated in the picture. What a tragedy!
#7 Old 12-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

"..you either build or destroy. Where you comin' from?"

Tam! RUGH!
#8 Old 12-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Laughing at someone's jokes in bad taste weren't the bad part for me, I think that's probably just a reaction, but at the end he says "I know that's terrible." to which she responds "No it's not". That's not reaction, that's her actually thinking it's ok. I'm not sure about this being used against her though, she may just be completely crazy from killing someone. I wouldn't be very sane.
#9 Old 12-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Driving drunk is horrible, but I don't think laughing at a bad joke should have any effect on her sentence. People laugh for all sorts of reasons. I agree that she doesn't sound happy and I wouldn't be surprised if she also cried during that same phone call. She looks pretty devastated in the picture. What a tragedy!

I agree to a certain extent, and I don't know what it's like to be in that situation, but I can't imagine finding anything funny if I did something as awful as what she's done, especially a joke like that. The person who made the joke is just despicable.
#10 Old 12-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Driving drunk is horrible, but I don't think laughing at a bad joke should have any effect on her sentence. People laugh for all sorts of reasons.

I agree. She sounds like a terrible person and she probably laughed for the wrong reasons, but I think penalties should basically be the same for everyone. They should based on the crime, not based on personal dislike of the criminals.

I don't think it makes sense to give heavier sentences to people who don't show the right kinds of emotions when expected. Inappropriate emotional responses are not crimes that should be penalized.
#11 Old 12-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Laughing at someone's jokes in bad taste weren't the bad part for me, I think that's probably just a reaction, but at the end he says "I know that's terrible." to which she responds "No it's not". That's not reaction, that's her actually thinking it's ok. I'm not sure about this being used against her though, she may just be completely crazy from killing someone. I wouldn't be very sane.

My sentiments exactly. She didn't even wait for him to finish his sentence until she said "No it's not".

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#12 Old 12-19-2011, 03:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I agree. She sounds like a terrible person and she probably laughed for the wrong reasons, but I think penalties should basically be the same for everyone. They should based on the crime, not based on personal dislike of the criminals.

I don't think it makes sense to give heavier sentences to people who don't show the right kinds of emotions when expected. Inappropriate emotional responses are not crimes that should be penalized.

I agree. And it reminds me of the AETA and Environmental "terrorism" enhanced penalties in which someone is literally punished for their thoughts. So if you burn an SUV because you're a vandal you get one sentence, and if you burn it because you hate the environmental impact you get a much harsher one. Just punish for the crime.

That said, I hope she and her friend leave the planet soon. Complete wastes of water and food.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

i think there is more that goes into sentencing someone than simply punishing the crime without looking at circumstances. isn't part of the reason we lock away some people to keep the general public safe from them and to serve as a deterrent for future crimes (for that criminal and others)? she already has a dui from only 11 months before so you can't say she wasn't really aware of the consequences. if i drove drunk, got caught, and got off without going to jail (i assume she only lost her license) there's no way i'd be drinking anything and driving, after 11 months no less. that already shows that she doesn't exactly care about the consequences of driving drunk and you add her laughing about killing someone. i'd think if she got only a little jail time or even probation she'd be driving drunk again.
i find it disgusting that she was laughing but i wouldn't punish her more harshly because it's disgusting. i'd punish her more because to me it indicates, along with the other dui, that she will continue to be a danger to others if allowed to be free.

i don't know if that makes sense. i'm having a hard time getting my thoughts down in writing right now
#14 Old 12-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i think there is more that goes into sentencing someone than simply punishing the crime without looking at circumstances. isn't part of the reason we lock away some people to keep the general public safe from them and to serve as a deterrent for future crimes (for that criminal and others)? she already has a dui from only 11 months before so you can't say she wasn't really aware of the consequences. if i drove drunk, got caught, and got off without going to jail (i assume she only lost her license) there's no way i'd be drinking anything and driving, after 11 months no less. that already shows that she doesn't exactly care about the consequences of driving drunk and you add her laughing about killing someone. i'd think if she got only a little jail time or even probation she'd be driving drunk again.
i find it disgusting that she was laughing but i wouldn't punish her more harshly because it's disgusting. i'd punish her more because to me it indicates, along with the other dui, that she will continue to be a danger to others if allowed to be free.

i don't know if that makes sense. i'm having a hard time getting my thoughts down in writing right now

I completely understand that and I agree. It does show that she's a danger, because she doesn't understand and just simply doesn't care at all about the consequences.
#15 Old 12-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Prior DUI's suggests she's probably an alcoholic so I wouldn't expect her to be reacting well-adjusted or anything.

m8itcanw8.com
#16 Old 12-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

terrible terrible terrible and she deserves all the punishment coming her way.

laughing at inappropriate times tho? I do that too. I laugh when I feel awkward sometimes; it doesn't necessarily mean I'm having fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#17 Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

My sentiments exactly. She didn't even wait for him to finish his sentence until she said "No it's not".

I thought that she was trying to make the joke teller feel better, by saying, "No, it's not." (Terrible).
#18 Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

terrible terrible terrible and she deserves all the punishment coming her way.

laughing at inappropriate times tho? I do that too. I laugh when I feel awkward sometimes; it doesn't necessarily mean I'm having fun.

Yeah, the title seems a bit misguiding. I thought she would be laughing and saying mean things about what she did, but laughing at some "joke" someone else says doesn't surprise me, because it could just be an awkward reaction.

But then she said, really slow-like, like she meant it, "No, it's not." and that's what made me realize she had no remorse.
#19 Old 12-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Ira
Banned

Quote:

I thought that she was trying to make the joke teller feel better, by saying, "No, it's not." (Terrible).

yeah, thats how i saw it too. to me that was a reaction sentence as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page