Went to a "Alternative" Craft Fair Today. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Alternative. Yeah right. I left there just upset. I don't think there was one jewelry seller who wasn't selling feather jewelry. And I'm not talking Blue Jay feathers found in the yard. This feather craze deeply saddens me.

I was out shopping and noticed it driving by and stopped. I won't ever again. All these cool looking people selling feathers, leather. One young woman had a booth with clothes and other items made out of vintage reconstructed clothes. I can do those things my self. But hers seemed to be the only interesting booth. And she wasn't selling anything with feathers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Ohhh, I know how you feel

Occasionally I will go into what looks like a cute little natural clothing shop, and in my mind, natural clothing is organic cotton, hemp, bamboo, etc... but once I'm inside I discover that (in the minds of the people who own the shop), natural clothing is leather, fur, suede, silk, etc...

How disappointing! I would have been excited, just like you, to go to an 'alternative' craft fair. I would have expected to see tables full of vegan goodies and baked goods and whatnot. I have also noticed that the "cool looking" people (as you mentioned) are rarely vegan, haha. Most vegans I know look totally average, and when I go into festivals or shops or events where there are lots of neat-looking, cool dressed 20/30-somethings, they almost always (in my experience) eat meat/wear leather, etc.
#3 Old 12-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry your experience was a letdown.

I really don't understand the feather fad. Why do people want to look like their heads got attacked by a flock of angry birds?
#4 Old 12-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks fadeaway, I don't get this feather fad either. So upsetting. I think 'where are those poor birds and how did they suffer.'

paisleyjane, isn't it funny how our minds work now? I'm the same way. Natural to me is organic cotton and other plant based fibers. Oh and there was also a booth filled with felted wool items. I find better stuff at our local PAWS thrift shop.

And thanks for saying you find a lot of vegans average looking. I was thinking as I walked away from that place 'and here is plain me. Vegan. I too see people buying meat and wearing leather and they dress so much more "hip" than me.
#5 Old 12-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

Aww. That's disappointing!
#6 Old 12-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Banned

deleted
#7 Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

When I was a kid, I would find feathers in the yard and my mom would always tell me to put them back outside and wash my hands because they probably had mites or something. Maybe they didn't, but I heard it so many times that I've got it stuck in my head that bird feathers (not ones attached to, say, a pet parrot) are infested with parasites. Why would I want to wear mite-infested feathers on my clothes or in my hair? Gross.

I heard the same thing when I was a kid too! Scared me enough from ever wanting to pick up random bird feathers.
#8 Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

That's a bummer =/

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#9 Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned

deleted
#10 Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

I know. I've been avoiding feathers long before I knew anything about the cruelty involved with the poultry industry. Just because of my mom repeating the thing about mites when I was younger. Somehow I've never had qualms about touching a living parakeet or parrot.

Thats like the 'hair thing' though, hair is fine when it's on someones head, but the second it's off, people act like it's gross.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#11 Old 12-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

deleted
#12 Old 12-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

I know, it's totally illogical!

I actually came back to add that it was the same as hair, but you beat me to it! I'm less grossed out by a loose hair than I am about feathers. It all goes back to having the line about feathers being "dirty" drilled into my head when I was a kid.

My dad always taught me that birds/rodents are inherently dirty, it's still drilled into me, and I hate hair unless it's mine, or my animals. >.<

Quote:
#13 Old 12-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I would buy it if it naturally fell off a bird, but of course I know that is not what generally happens : ( .
#14 Old 12-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

I would buy it if it naturally fell off a bird, but of course I know that is not what generally happens : ( .

No, I could tell those feathers were very exotic looking. Some were long with stripes. I don't know, maybe they are dyed too. But they certainly were not naturally shed, found in the yard or woods feathers.
#15 Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Sorry your experience was a letdown.

I really don't understand the feather fad. Why do people want to look like their heads got attacked by a flock of angry birds?

exactly.... a friend of mine had a b-day party where it was a hair feather party and all the gals got their do done....I passed on the party.

Peaceful Greetings

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#16 Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

It bothers me when people don't realize feathers are from birds. It seems more common when the feathers are dyed and processed, like on those horrible feather boas dyed bright pink or something. And I say I don't feel comfortable with feathers because I'm a vegan and people look at me like I just spoke whale because they had not previously associated feathers with animals. Where do they think feathers come from?

Anyhoo. Feather jewelry, boo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page