The Time of Your Life: Which Period in Time Do You Wish You Could Have Lived in? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Vegan Very Metal

Really interesting to have lived during the time of the dinosaurs. Trying to survive on the plant fare that was around, while still being constantly vigilant to avoid any large carnivorous beasties.

And you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Impeach the gangster

If I was born in 1828, I would have been young at the time of the Gold Rush. It's not the gold I'm after, but this was a time of extraordinary social change. I think it would have been interesting.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Ira
Banned

in the hippie times!

unless i can go to the future, then i would want to live there
#4 Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

in the hippie times!

me too!
or the twenties, mainly because i just like their style. but don't think i'd like to live through the thirties and the depression. so prob the sixties for sure.

☮~Ⓥ ÂListen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be. -Shel SilversteinⓋ~☮
#5 Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

in the hippie times!

unless i can go to the future, then i would want to live there

It really was over rated, much more impressive in the stories than in real life.
#6 Old 09-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Sometime between the 50's and the early 90's, a lot of interesting stuff happened then.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#7 Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

In order to live in another period of time, I'd have to completely erase the memory of the Internet from my brain. And then, I would choose the 60s so I could march with Martin Luther King. Also, attend Woodstock.
#8 Old 09-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

The mid to late 60s.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#9 Old 09-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

In order to live in another period of time, I'd have to completely erase the memory of the Internet from my brain. And then, I would choose the 60s so I could march with Martin Luther King. Also, attend Woodstock.

question, what is it that makes you think, had you been of age to march with Martin Luther King, that you would have felt the same then that you do now?
Im curious because it was a different time totally, feelings were different, outlook was different. You would have been raised in the 50s for the most part to march with him, ideas and words that are now repulsive, would have been common usage words.
Im not saying you would not have marched with him, but there is an equal chance you would not have. You might have agreed with him, but stayed out of the conversation in order to keep peace around others.
Unless you are black, then a whole different set of circumstances would have had to of been considered. Would you have been raised in an area that the "negro" was actually allowed to voice an opinion without fear of retribution, would you have been willing to be shot for your efforts? or its possible that you might have been hanging out with what would become the hippies smoking dope. Maybe you would have become one of the greats that went on to create the Motown Records name.

Its easy to say what you would have done, but to be honest its not that easy to be correct. lets pretend it was the mid 1800s, do you think you would have been an animal activist or would you have eaten meat? my bet is that you would have been a meat eater without a second thought.

Its fun to dream about it though.
#10 Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm pretty happy with "now". The civil rights movement and women's lib are pretty amazing things. I don't want to give that up.
#11 Old 09-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

question, what is it that makes you think, had you been of age to march with Martin Luther King, that you would have felt the same then that you do now?

If you haven't noticed, I support the rights of the oppressed and minorities. On October 8th, 2010, having never been to D.C., at around 5:30 pm, I left my last class for the day at Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville, TN, hopped into my automobile, and headed to our Nation's Capital. Why? For this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olysHUwf_YI

After the march, I hopped back into my car and headed home.

Hatred and bigotry are taught, and my parents, thankfully, never taught me any of that nonsense.
#12 Old 09-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

If you haven't noticed, I support the rights of the oppressed and minorities. On October 8th, 2010, having never been to D.C., at around 5:30 pm, I left my last class for the day at Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville, TN, hopped into my automobile, and headed to our Nation's Capital. Why? For this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olysHUwf_YI

After the march, I hopped back into my car and headed home.

Hatred and bigotry are taught, and my parents, thankfully, never taught me any of that nonsense.

you are not paying attention, I said you based what you would have done 50 years ago, on what your feelings are today.
You would have been raised in a different time, a different atmosphere, a different public opinion on those "uppity negros" there is just as good a chance you would have cheered MLKs death, as you would have marched with him.
Your opinions and your feelings now are a product of your life to this point. That life would have been much different being raised in the 50s.
I am not questioning your intent today, I have no doubt that you would stand side by side with the republican MLK.
I am only pointing out that your thoughts could have been much different back then.

by the way, sometimes hatred and bigotry are learned emotions. Not taught.
#13 Old 09-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

[...]

Okay.
#14 Old 09-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Since I'm female, I'm not sure I would be able to handle all the sexism in the past. It would make me absolutely miserable. I'm good in this time period.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#15 Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

Since I'm female, I'm not sure I would be able to handle all the sexism in the past. It would make me absolutely miserable. I'm good in this time period.

So the June Cleaver thing wasnt working for you? You could not picture yourself in a nice dress with a pearl necklace on while scrubbing the toilets and fixing the dinner?
Cant say I blame you.
Consider this, if not for women back then that found it equally disturbing as you do today, you might be at the forefront of that fight right now.
Had you been of age back then, and felt the same way, your name might be in the history books for bringing about that change.

or, you would have accepted it because your mother and her mother before her accepted it.
#16 Old 09-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm perfectly happy with my life in this period of time. Out of sheer curiosity, I wouldn't mind existing in some random period in the distant future.

Maybe being a Mongolian raider would have been kind of interesting. I would have done all sorts of pillaging and ****, though I probably wouldn't have been vegetarian

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#17 Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

Im with Nomad888 on this. but I was thinking a Viking.
They traveled to far away lands and raped pillaged and burned.
1) My family orginated in Norway, still have relatives there
2) I love boating
3) I love free stuff
4) I love fires
5) I love,, well you get the point.
#18 Old 09-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

1) My family orginated in Norway, still have relatives there

Just FYI, if you have any interest in genealogy, parish records for Norway are online.

I have family from Norway as well. Although far more of my ancestors are Swedish.
#19 Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to live in the future and live like the Jetsons.
#20 Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

If you mean a "going back in time" sort of thing, then I'd pick the earliest days of Man. I guess I better not say what I would do while I'm there.

If it's a "being born in" thing, then I'll just stick to the lifetime I've had, coz I've been more lucky than most male ancestors of mine over the past 150 years or so, that I didn't have to fight or die in a war.
#21 Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Just FYI, if you have any interest in genealogy, parish records for Norway are online.

I have family from Norway as well. Although far more of my ancestors are Swedish.

That would be pretty cool.
I have met them, but they have come here, I have yet to get over there, although I still hold hope that it will come one day.
#22 Old 09-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

If you mean a "going back in time" sort of thing, then I'd pick the earliest days of Man. I guess I better not say what I would do while I'm there.

If it's a "being born in" thing, then I'll just stick to the lifetime I've had, coz I've been more lucky than most male ancestors of mine over the past 150 years or so, that I didn't have to fight or die in a war.

If we as citizens could convince our government to get out of the wars they are currently wasting money in, we might be able to insure that a few more generations hold the same level of luck as you.
#23 Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I was thinking about this one day when watching Little House and Waltons reruns on Hallmark channel. Yes, I do that from time to time, when there's no SVU marathon on USA. I think the 40s might have been cool, just because things seemed more laid back and slower paced then, yet they still had cars and electricity, which are necesseties in life as far as I'm concerned. But women and minorities were seen as second class citizens, so I'll still take today's hectic lifestyle. Plus our cars are faster.
#24 Old 09-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always maintained that the past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. There are plenty of historical eras in which I'd like to visit, but the social conditions of those eras would be enough to send me scurrying back to the present . I'd like to visit the American colonies during Revolutionary War times and help fight the British (no offense to those of you who are British), but I wouldn't want to worry about smallpox, for example, and women and slaves were not considered full citizens with all the rights that they deserved. You get the idea. Life was a lot harder in the past.

I'm all about the future. As good as life is now, I want it to get even better.

*this space not for sale*
#25 Old 09-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Ira
Banned

Quote:

you are not paying attention, I said you based what you would have done 50 years ago, on what your feelings are today.
You would have been raised in a different time, a different atmosphere, a different public opinion on those "uppity negros" there is just as good a chance you would have cheered MLKs death, as you would have marched with him.
Your opinions and your feelings now are a product of your life to this point. That life would have been much different being raised in the 50s.
I am not questioning your intent today, I have no doubt that you would stand side by side with the republican MLK.
I am only pointing out that your thoughts could have been much different back then.

by the way, sometimes hatred and bigotry are learned emotions. Not taught.

This is a great point. When I was reading the biography of MAlcolm X I was wondering what are the chances that I would be on the right side if I were born at that time in US
#26 Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Shouldn't one be asking yourself what you are on the wrong side of right now?
#27 Old 09-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Ira
Banned

oh i did and i am sure that i am on the right side of everything!
#28 Old 09-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

But wouldn't your historical doppleganger believe the same?
#29 Old 09-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Banned

Around 60CE so I could kick Roman arse with Boudica and hopefully not die then go live in what is now the North of Scotland or Ireland for the rest of my life..

Circa 500CE just to find out if some warlord called Arthur really did exist... (Although I'd want to be a man so I could go kill some Angles, Saxons and Jutes and stop them invading Britain )

Sometime between 3000-2000BCE when the bluestones were put in at Stonehenge because I want to know how the **** they got them from Pembrokeshire to Wiltshire! Also would be quite awesome to know why it was built...
#30 Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Banned

The first waves of the Black Death. It must have been a fascinating time for social change.

Hopefully I could take some antibiotics with me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page