Going into the Air Force.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 PM

So I'm planning on going into the air force after I finish college, but I haven't gotten a chance to ask my recruiter if they offer vegan or even vegetarian meals on their bases.

Do any of you guys know if they do or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadske View Post

So I'm planning on going into the air force after I finish college, but I haven't gotten a chance to ask my recruiter if they offer vegan or even vegetarian meals on their bases.

Do any of you guys know if they do or not?

They did not at the time I was in the service, Meat was a big thing. I think that Vegetarians are in the military on a DADT basis right now
#3 Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Well that's a bummer
How are you supposed to choose between serving your country or sacrificing some of your beliefs.
Eh I'll figure it out somehow lol
#4 Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

They did not at the time I was in the service, Meat was a big thing. I think that Vegetarians are in the military on a DADT basis right now

*snort*

It's fully possible (and easy!) to be vegetarian in the military. Vegan would be a little bit harder, but still doable. If you live in the barracks, see the chaplain and tell him that you have moral/religious reasons for abstaining from meat, and ask for a memorandum to receive separate rations. This means that instead of being on a meal plan for the on post dining facilities, you will be given money to buy your own groceries (but you would have to pay per meal if you decided to eat at the dining facility).

The commissaries on all the posts I've been to carry a wide variety of Amy's meals and morning star farms, etc.

Good luck.

ETA: All my coworkers knew I was vegetarian, I got some good-natured ribbing, but over all, it's wasn't A Big Thing.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#5 Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely talk to someone about that.
#6 Old 09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I got plenty to say on this after work, give me a few hours

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#7 Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok first, realize that your recruiter is going to make it sound like they go out of their way to provide you with veg*n meals. The recruiters won't necessarily lie, but they will stretch the hell out of the truth.

That said, if you're looking to join the military as a veg*n, you are choosing the right service. Unless you plan on going special forces or something and spending your Air Force career making every effort to be deployed and running around in the boonies, you will likely spend most of it on large bases with exceptional facilities to match. Every Air Force dining facility I've been to (they get mad if I call it a galley or a chow hall) has as much variety as your local Country Buffet, and like Kibbleforla said, if that dining facility is unable to meet your dietary needs they will put you on commuted rations, which basically means instead of eating for free where they want you to, you are given a monthly allowance and you're on your own for food.

This would not be realistic for other services (especially Army or Marines) where half your career is spent either deployed or training out in the middle of nowhere, playing with guns, blowing things up, etc., and it is for that same reason that the macho factor is not as prevalent in the Air Force, meaning you probably won't get harassed half as much about being vegetarian as I do. In the event that you do find yourself out on the field and away from civilization, every box of MRE's contains a couple vegetarian options (though I've never seen a vegan one before). In such situations, everyone else will be thrilled to have a vegetarian in the group because it means if they happen to get the crappy vegetarian one (in their eyes), they can just trade with you.

The hardest part is probably going to be boot camp, and maybe even your initial training. After that, you'll probably have the military equivalent of a 9 to 5 office job except you'll be wearing cammies instad of khakis.

Also, I would highly suggest staying in top shape. When most people fail a fitness test, it is blamed on laziness. If you fail a fitness test, it will be blamed on your diet. If you steam roll every fitness test they send your way, however, there isn't much they can say except to acknowledge that you must be doing something right.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#8 Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

On a side note, not sure if you've already decided what job you want to do, but when walking into the recruiter's office having a degree equates to leverage. Your recruiter has a quota, and his or her preference is going to be to put you in whatever happens to be the most undermanned position that you qualify for, and not necessarily where you belong or where you want to be. If your ASVAB scores are high enough, don't settle for anything less than exactly what you want. An enlistment bonus and a free rank or two upon completion of boot camp are almost always available to those joining with college degrees.

#9 Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Also, I would highly suggest staying in top shape. When most people fail a fitness test, it is blamed on laziness. If you fail a fitness test, it will be blamed on your diet. If you steam roll every fitness test they send your way, however, there isn't much they can say except to acknowledge that you must be doing something right.

Unless it's been changed, the Air Force fitness test is a joke. According to Air Force people stationed in South Korea in the late 90s/early 00s, you ride a stationary bike for a few minutes.
#10 Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

When I worked for the Post Office last December, there was a guy who wanted to join the Marines after college, and he said to pass the fitness test, you had to do 3 push-ups. I'm not sure about the rest, though. Just in case, I'd take a lot of physical education while in college--weightlifting, things like that. Good luck, and I hope you make it.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#11 Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Not sure about the details of the Air Force's test, though I've heard it involves a heart rate monitor :/ The Marines have pullups instead of pushups, and you have to do 3 for the minimum passing score. That may have been what your coworker was referring to. Still not exactly difficult, though some people do have difficulty with pullups. I have been in both the Navy and the Army, and for both of those we have pushups, situps, and a run (Navy had the option of a swim instead, facilities permitting).

#12 Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:

Not sure about the details of the Air Force's test, though I've heard it involves a heart rate monitor :/ The Marines have pullups instead of pushups, and you have to do 3 for the minimum passing score. That may have been what your coworker was referring to. Still not exactly difficult, though some people do have difficulty with pullups. I have been in both the Navy and the Army, and for both of those we have pushups, situps, and a run (Navy had the option of a swim instead, facilities permitting).

As far as the entrance exam, from what I understand the Air Force requires the highest score, followed by Navy, Marines then Army.
When I went in the Navy we had the run, pushups, and swimming. Im pretty sure that included everyone. I was EOD so what the tortured me with was just a bit beyond that. I had to dive, got kicked out of a perfectly good airplane, endured survival trainings, and generally had to push till there was no pushing left.
#13 Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'd think the Navy would encourage swimming, considering they're mostly based in the water.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#14 Old 09-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I'd think the Navy would encourage swimming, considering they're mostly based in the water.

I was actually amazed at how few people could swim, let alone swim well. Very few people could pass the swim version of the PT test.

As for the ASVAB test, yes overall the air force has higher scholastic requirements. But every service has individual jobs with different requirements. I was crypto in the Navy (before going traitor and joining the Army ), which required a very high score overall and extremely high marks in math and electronics.

#15 Old 09-24-2011, 05:57 AM

The Air Force no longer utilizes the stationary bike with heart rate monitor test. We now have to complete a 1.5 mile run, push ups, and sit ups. I would agree with Nomad888 Basic training will be by far the hardest part of maintaining your diet. The past 6 months I have been in various locations and had either the dining facility or MREs as options for food. When I am at the base I'm assigned I buy my own food and am not required to partake in the dining facility. If you enlist, you will most likely be provided free food to eat at the dining facility and though the food provided will be boring after a while you will have fruits/veggies/beans/rice and such available to eat. You don't have to eat their but, they will not necessarily provide you with the allowance to get your own food.
If you get commissioned you won't be provided food at the dining facility and wil have to provide for yourself, minus Basic and deployments and such.
In my experiences as a veg, the worse I get is some ribbing, but its all good since I do it right back to them.
In case you were curious I am currently active duty Air Force enlisted, and I am 6 months from ten years in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page