Comments Needed for Veggie Article - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Hello,

I'm working on an article for the health website, TheDoctorWillSeeYouNow.com and am interested in comments from veggies and vegans. I was vegan for a long time, and have been veggie for a lot of my life.

I'm interested in hearing from people about their transition into either vegetarianism or veganism. What about it was difficult? Did you/do you find sustaining either diet hard? How do you feel physically after you made the change? Have you run into health problems/nutrient deficiencies due to it? Is health, animal ethics, or ecological reasons (or other) your main reason for doing it?

Please comment on any or all of the questions above. If you wish, you can send responses to [email protected] !

Thanks so much in advance,
Alice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-15-2011, 10:47 AM

I have always been a vegetarian so I don't know if I can give much insight for this.
When I went vegan I had to monitor my diet so much more. It was hard at first, but I found the easiest way to manage the new diet is cooking for myself whenever possible. Physically I feel fine. Never suffered any deficiencies from my lifestyle.
My mother raised me vegetarian but I stayed vegetarian and switched to vegan because of my love for animals and the environment.
#3 Old 09-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

why did you stop being vegan, and are you still vegetarian now?

I'll answer: What about it was difficult? Nothing at first while a vegetarian. Went vegetarian overnight after reading the The China Study, and got to the part where the statistics were just to obvious to ignore.

Did you/do you find sustaining either diet hard? No, not all. I really enjoy eating this way for the health benefits, and knowing it's also a compassionate way of eating

How do you feel physically after you made the change? Fantastic! Skin looked better, and weight kept coming off, definately had more energy.
Have you run into health problems/nutrient deficiencies due to it? Other than Vit D, but that's not diet related, I live in the Northeast. no other health problems at all!
Is health, animal ethics, or ecological reasons (or other) your main reason for doing it? health benefits first, animals second....it all falls into place when you do the right thing by changing your diet to a healthy vegan diet, and don't live on fatty or processed foods.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#4 Old 09-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

It was easy for me to be lacto vegetarian. I knew I had to vegan to live my beliefs. Giving up cheese and milk and egg ingrediants wasn't so easy. The disconnect of dairy is much more insidious than actual flesh.
It's been about 1 1/2 years of vegan, and while I've had slips along the way, it's getting much easier. I now try to not buy products I have to read. Cooking has become quite a hobby for me, and I enjoy it way more than I would have with meat-far more creative.
Within the first month of giving up meat, I felt better than I ever did! The heavy feeling in my lower abdomen was gone, I felt light. As time went on, my skin also cleared, had more energy, woke up mentally more alert, and just overall felt better.
In the beginning, vegan was hard on many levels. I was amazed by how much slaughterhouse waste is recycled in foods. As much as I wish there were more vegan foods, I'm also glad it brought me to eating more whole, fresh produce and fruits. Alternate proteins are so much cheaper than meats, I can afford to buy more organics.
I haven't had health problems. My asmtha is much more controlled, seasonal allergies are better. Cholestrol has gone down, iron went up. I supplament with D and B12 and recently got an algeal omega dha supplement.
To begin with, I went veg because I knew I was against the way we raise animals for food. The more I learned the more it supported the idea that we don't need any animal products, and I wasn't about to support that anymore. I believe a healthy vegan diet is the best all around choice.
I also want to include that a vegan diet is terribly misunderstood. I wish it could be more mainstreamed.

Why aren't vegan? Are you still vegetarian?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 09-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I made the switch to vegetarianism my sophomore year in high school. This November it will have been two years.
I didn't find my switch difficult. I decided to go pescetarian after watching videos of animal slaughter in my Animal Science class. Abstaining from red meat and chicken wasn't really difficult as after seeing those videos I was completely disgusted by meat. A few weeks later I made the switch to complete vegetarianism, as I found to idea of dining on a fish carcass almost as unappetizing as the idea of eating a cow or chicken.
I do want to go vegan eventually, but right now I live with my parents, and while they were tolerant of my switch to vegetarianism, they object strongly to veganism.
After making the switch as I learned more I decided that being vegetarian is better for the environment, better for your health, and better for world hunger (and better for the animals of course!). The more I learned, the more I was convinced that being vegetarian is the ethical choice. I say that I went vegetarian for the animals, but I stay vegetarian for so many more reasons!
Many people say they felt tons better after going vegetarian. I'm not going to lie, I didn't notice a huge difference.
My vegetarian diet has never really caused me any deficiencies. I take a multivitamin every day, and I make sure to get enough protein, vegetables, and whole grains.

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page