Watch TV while cleaning 5 50.00%
Listen to music while cleaning 16 100.00%
Enlist family to help 4 40.00%
Other 11 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you find it easier to clean when nobody is home? How do you make cleaning into something fun and not into a chore?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

I think about it really hard and wish it done

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I put listen to music because I do.
I prefer to clean when im in alone as I feel I can get on better,but my boyfriend works from home so hes not out alot, I guess you have to compremise alittle
#4 Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

When there's something else I need to do (like reports for work), but keep finding reasons to put it off. I will suddenly find that I need to clean before I can finish my other work. Things get deep cleaned very well during those times.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#5 Old 09-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I suppose I should share what I do.

-I prefer to clean when my fiance isn't home, I find it easier than trying to work around him.
-I like to dance around when I'm not putting laundry away. I put on a fun musical (usually Glee, Across the Universe, or Chicago) and just dance.
-When putting away laundry, I like having the TV on.

Still working liking the vacuuming thing, but I think I'll get there eventually.

#6 Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

It's easier for me to clean when someone's around. I procrastinate more when I'm alone. Listening to music, watching TV and having my boyfriend there to help all work for me too.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#7 Old 09-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

i luv cleaning.

the more regular you clean the less work you have to do. i am actually kinda lazy but you would never guess bc my house is spotless. i keep up a regular routine of cleaning every friday and deep cleaning every other wednesday. this way nothing gets too dirty and i don't have to work very hard to maintain a clean house

music is good or listening to interesting podcasts to keep entertained.

i thought this thread was gonna be about cleaning tips like i luv using vinegar to clean. it works for so many things, i just learned a new way to use vinegar to eliminate static cling, just add a 1/2 cup to the fabric softener dispenser in the washing machine. so easy.
#8 Old 09-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, feel free to add cleaning tips.

#9 Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

I enlist my dad to help me tackle it, one room at a time while listening to music! :P

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#10 Old 09-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a hard time cleaning when people are around. I always feel like I should be spending time with them, so I wait until I'm alone to clean and especially enjoy cleaning at night. I like to think of myself as a house-elf, sneaking around when people aren't looking and and leaving clean rooms behind me. It gives me a really great feeling for someone to walk into a room and see it picture perfect.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#11 Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Aww, I love that you look at it that way!

#12 Old 09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I do it one room at a time. I usually clean the kitchen counters after I eat my breakfast in the morning and clean the bathroom before having a bath.

I usually have to hoover downstairs everyday as I have six cats.
#13 Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Well... a bit of everything! I obviously (?) clean the surfaces, dishes, cooker top, sink, sweep the floor and tidy up every day as they need doing.

My boyfriend and I split the rest. He does the bins, recycling, hoovers, washes the floors and launders our clothes each week. He often listens to music.

I do the day to day stuff (including all washing up and drying), and then wash bed linin and towels on specific days, I dust and do a more thorough tidy round at the same time he does most of his weekly chores - that way at least once a week everything looks spic and span! I usually do that one room at a time too, and I go around it in order so nothing gets missed. I then do a proper clean of the kitchen (fridge, counter tops, oven inside and out, microwave, etc) and bathroom once a week, whenever I can cram it in, usually either when my boyfriends at work or asleep, listening to music. I iron when I watch TV in the evenings.

There isn't really lots of people getting in the way since it's just the two of us, but I don't do it all in one big go, it's pretty much spread out over the week so that most days one of us is doing something.While I have the space to moan, I have 12ft ceilings and dusting them is a nightmare and involves lots of climbing on furniture and the longest duster EVER! Other than that though I enjoy cleaning, luvyourmother is right, the more you do it the less there is to do.
#14 Old 09-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to clean everything myself. Boyshape does offer (and does bins/hoovering and washing up occasionaly) but I like to know cleaning (proper cleaning) is done the way I like it
#15 Old 09-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Boyfriend and I just clean together and listen to music.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#16 Old 09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

I've always like to clean, or fix things, when I'm alone. I like when my sons wait for me to be gone to do their part too!
I've never been one to stick to one room-way too easily distracted

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#17 Old 09-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Noone else in + loud music = dance while cleaning! Makes it so much better
#18 Old 09-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband is sort of a neat freak so I really don't have to do much more than my own laundry and loading/unloading the dishwasher. My 18 year old daughter lives with us so she takes care of anything we don't feel like doing.
#19 Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Nice! I'm finally getting to where I feel like I can take a break.

#20 Old 09-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I live in a flat-share and when all 4 rooms are occupied we roster our cleaning so each week someone is in charge of one thing between bins/vacuuming/kitchen/bathroom. It's only two of us now since two flatmates just moved out and I have found myself doing all the cleaning when things aren't up to my standards because my messy male flatmate just does not care. I do attempt to make him at least considerate so he usually manages to wipe kitchen surfaces after use at least, but we are still not quite there. I think I might have to teach him what a cloth is.
#21 Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I really miss the days when we could afford a professional cleaner. It was wonderful. The thing I really hate is cleaning the cat's bowls. I must do it about 50 times a day because I keep giving them more food because I can't remember which one I have fed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I obviously (?) clean the surfaces, dishes, cooker top, sink, sweep the floor and tidy up every day as they need doing.

What does the question mark mean?
#22 Old 09-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Probably questioning if doing those things daily is actually obvious to most people. I must say in my experience of flatting so far it is not obvious. Most of my flatmates so far have not grasped the concept of wiping up after cooking or doing dishes the same day you use them.
#23 Old 09-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Bird View Post

I have a hard time cleaning when people are around. I always feel like I should be spending time with them,.

I get that way too plus I just get annoyed if I'm trying to clean and have people around getting in the way. I am very anal and ocd about cleaning my kitchen. I wash my dishes/silverware immediately after I use them and I clean and wipe down counters /stove/oven after every use. There are never dirty dishes in my sink or anywhere else in the kitchen. No matter how long it takes or how hungry I am I can't sit down and eat after I cook until everything is spotless and put back in it's original place.

I always have the tv on in the background when I'm cleaning and vacuuming. During the summer when it's super hot I clean in shorts and a sports bra. Vacuuming in the heat is a workout! I tend to vacuum frequently because my dog sheds like crazy. I can make a whole other dog out of the fur I take out of the vacuum after cleaning. It's insane.
#24 Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

When we can afford it we hire a housekeeper. Lately that's not an option.

I'm trying to do Fly Lady right now. In the past when I lived alone it was no problem. I would just clean because I liked my house to be clean. I kept regular routines about when to do what and it all just stayed nice and tidy.

But now I find it really difficult. I have a hard time keeping up with all the housework when I'd much rather do other things. Cleaning up after hubby, baby, four cats, and two dogs is really hard. There's no end to it. Some part of the house is always dirty. It's a constant frustration, really.

My first job was as a motel maid so I learned some tricks to clean quickly and honestly I don't mind working up a sweat while cleaning. I prefer to do it when no one is home or when babes is sleeping. But I don't get much actual satisfaction from it. I just have an ongoing angst whenever things are dirty (which is most of the time).
#25 Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Very carefully.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#26 Old 09-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like to clean....love the way it looks and smells......do a little bit everyday....I just tackle it people there or not and take it one room at a time and I usually have a radio or tv on for background noise.....I dont usually ask for help....I like things done a certain way and usually just do it....but if help is offered I usually accept.....

have a hippie day

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#27 Old 09-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post

Probably questioning if doing those things daily is actually obvious to most people. I must say in my experience of flatting so far it is not obvious. Most of my flatmates so far have not grasped the concept of wiping up after cooking or doing dishes the same day you use them.

Yeah exactly. I think of it was obvious, but when I read it back I thought, maybe it isn't to everyone? It's just how my mum does things, so it's how I do them, I never really asked anybody else.
#28 Old 09-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Alone, with music and dancing around in my underwear.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#29 Old 09-13-2011, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Cleaning up after hubby, baby, four cats, and two dogs is really hard. There's no end to it. Some part of the house is always dirty. It's a constant frustration, really.

I know! It's so boring and it never ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Yeah exactly. I think of it was obvious, but when I read it back I thought, maybe it isn't to everyone? It's just how my mum does things, so it's how I do them, I never really asked anybody else.

Sorry I thought you were making an intelligent philosophical point with the question mark. I didn't understand what you meant. I lived with five girls at uni and they were pretty good at keeping up with cleaning but I would hate to live with people that didn't clean properly.
#30 Old 09-13-2011, 03:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sorry I thought you were making an intelligent philosophical point with the question mark.

Haha you overestimate me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page