What was the best birthday gift you've ever received? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Inspired by the Christmas thread, I would like to know what was the best birthday gift(s) you guys ever got.

Mine would be my laptop, it's definitely the gift I have used most

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Any gift certificates for the local book stores is always good for me.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I had a great gift to post here. My b-day and Christmas gifts sort of blend together over the years because they are only 6 days apart. I do remember being really excited to get the barbie toy that was a bust of Barbie that you painted makeup on and could fix the hair. It was strange because you dipped the makeup brush in ice water and wiped it on her face (lips, cheeks, eyelids) and the color magically appeared. I wonder if my mom still has that thing....

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#4 Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockette79 View Post

I wish I had a great gift to post here. My b-day and Christmas gifts sort of blend together over the years because they are only 6 days apart. I do remember being really excited to get the barbie toy that was a bust of Barbie that you painted makeup on and could fix the hair. It was strange because you dipped the makeup brush in ice water and wiped it on her face (lips, cheeks, eyelids) and the color magically appeared. I wonder if my mom still has that thing....

I think I had something similar to that once before, it's somewhere in one of the boxes in my closet.

#5 Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

#6 Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Banned

A mirror with the words "Yes Trevor, you look TERRIFIC!" on it.

Despite all evidence that the mirror itself provided to the exact contrary I came to believe the words engraved upon it.
#7 Old 08-31-2011, 03:50 AM
Beginner

since I moved out when I was turning 16 all of my pressents have been money from my family. so whenever someone takes the time to kind of think about who I am and give me something it always means so much to me. I have a best friend who does this and a cute little sister and my birthday was two weeks ago my boyfriend got me dancing lessons so I'm gonna start doing Tango again which he knew I wanted. My best friend has sent something in the mail for me so I don't know what it is, last year I got a owl lunchbox, I love owls. just silly things that don't really cost much but says "I know who you are" means the world to me.
#8 Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockette79 View Post

Same as this. Christmas and Birthday are 7 days apart so I don't know what present's what really.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#9 Old 08-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croxus View Post

just silly things that don't really cost much but says "I know who you are" means the world to me.

I agree, I love those kinds of gifts

#10 Old 08-31-2011, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

just silly things that don't really cost much but says "I know who you are" means the world to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

I agree, I love those kinds of gifts

Me too. The best bday gift I ever got was this type of gift. It was from an ex friend named "Steve". I had only known him a couple months before my bday but we were always hanging out together. On my bday he gave me a card made with Fruity Pebbles (I was going through a Fruity Pebbles addiction at the time) and an old shoebox. The shoebox contained various little gifts. It was like a treasure chest filled with my favorite things. Things like my favorite gum, favorite candy, brand of cigarettes I smoked, gift cards to favorite stores, a mix cd of rare b sides from my favorite bands, and other random things. Every item meant something special to me and I was in awe and amazement that not only had he remembered all these little details about me after only knowing me within a short period of time, but that he took the time to gather up all this stuff just for me. No other gift has ever come close to meaning that much to me.
#11 Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I was about 8 years old. One of my parents gave me a small toolbox with basic tools. It was all just real stuff that worked. Nothing was pink or cutesy or flimsy.
#12 Old 09-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Vegan Very Metal

Maybe people's best birthday gift is actually being born. Or perhaps that's too deep and profound? Or maybe it's not true?
#13 Old 09-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

when my family and friends listened when I said I didnt need anything and to do something nice for someone else and they made donations of items and time to many worthy causes and I was sooooo hipp-ily shocked and tickled pink by that.

peace and all that jazz

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#14 Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

when my family and friends listened when I said I didnt need anything and to do something nice for someone else and they made donations of items and time to many worthy causes and I was sooooo hipp-ily shocked and tickled pink by that.

peace and all that jazz

That's great

#15 Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I love those kinds too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Me too. The best bday gift I ever got was this type of gift. It was from an ex friend named "Steve". I had only known him a couple months before my bday but we were always hanging out together. On my bday he gave me a card made with Fruity Pebbles (I was going through a Fruity Pebbles addiction at the time) and an old shoebox. The shoebox contained various little gifts. It was like a treasure chest filled with my favorite things. Things like my favorite gum, favorite candy, brand of cigarettes I smoked, gift cards to favorite stores, a mix cd of rare b sides from my favorite bands, and other random things. Every item meant something special to me and I was in awe and amazement that not only had he remembered all these little details about me after only knowing me within a short period of time, but that he took the time to gather up all this stuff just for me. No other gift has ever come close to meaning that much to me.

Why is he an "ex" friend? I love the thoughtfulness of that gift. I'd cry. I love it!

Okay, I'll first say that I NEVER had birthday presents or parties as a child NOT ONCE.

So, besides presents like those mentioned that are really small, special things, one thing that comes to mind is last year's present...a 5 day Tantric retreat where I was with over 40 friends and made many new ones, including one who has gifted me with the same retreat this year! So, I'm really excited about my birthday this year and it hasn't even happened yet! I'll enjoy the present on 11/11/11.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#16 Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I got a saxophone as a birthday gift in the eighth grade, allowing me to switch away from the much less nice school one I was playing at the time. I've since upgraded again but I think it remains the best gift I've ever gotten.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#17 Old 09-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I love those kinds too!

Why is he an "ex" friend? I love the thoughtfulness of that gift. I'd cry. I love it!

Okay, I'll first say that I NEVER had birthday presents or parties as a child NOT ONCE.

So, besides presents like those mentioned that are really small, special things, one thing that comes to mind is last year's present...a 5 day Tantric retreat where I was with over 40 friends and made many new ones, including one who has gifted me with the same retreat this year! So, I'm really excited about my birthday this year and it hasn't even happened yet! I'll enjoy the present on 11/11/11.

So, when's your birthday. I'll show you how we did it when I was a wee sprat.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#18 Old 09-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

So, when's your birthday. I'll show you how we did it when I was a wee sprat.

10/23! I'd love to hear about it! I would love a party.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#19 Old 09-04-2011, 02:58 AM
Banned

'nuff said

#20 Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Banned

Last year, my sister started painting and the one I liked best of all was called Rastelli (the name of a famous juggler). She gave me this painting for my birthday/Christmas present this year. This is a photo I took of it for her website:

It looks better in person than it does in the picture.
#21 Old 09-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, I love art!

#22 Old 09-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

The best birthday gift would be my 17th Birthday because that year my parents got me a very nice Chicago bulls jacket, it reversed to two different designs and its was cool. I still got that by the way. I have others but I am needing to think.
#23 Old 09-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

My most valuable presents have been a camera (since upgraded) when I turned 15 and laptop (still using) when I turned 16 from my parents. These were great because they are things I use all the time but would struggle to afford for myself.
I just had my 19th birthday and got some lovely gifts from friends. They are all things I'd buy myself if I could justify the money on the things I don't actually need, which is exactly what presents should be. My boyfriend got me some amazing vanilla raspberry tea. One friend got me a cake tin and some mini baking tins in the shape of a butterfly, a heart and a star. Another friend got me a hoodie which I am wearing now. I know I still have one present to go because another friend was ill and didn't make it to my party.
#24 Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post

My most valuable presents have been a camera (since upgraded) when I turned 15 and laptop (still using) when I turned 16 from my parents. These were great because they are things I use all the time but would struggle to afford for myself.
I just had my 19th birthday and got some lovely gifts from friends. They are all things I'd buy myself if I could justify the money on the things I don't actually need, which is exactly what presents should be. My boyfriend got me some amazing vanilla raspberry tea. One friend got me a cake tin and some mini baking tins in the shape of a butterfly, a heart and a star. Another friend got me a hoodie which I am wearing now. I know I still have one present to go because another friend was ill and didn't make it to my party.

Happy belated birthday! I'm glad you got all the stuff you wanted. The tea sounds so good!
#25 Old 09-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

'nuff said

word. I still have my nintendo and games under the bed at my parent's house.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#26 Old 09-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

A star named after me.
#27 Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

that the sun came out and the storms and flooding stopped this year a few days before my B-day.\\

Peace

#28 Old 09-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

The best birthday gift would be my 17th Birthday because that year my parents got me a very nice Chicago bulls jacket, it reversed to two different designs and its was cool. I still got that by the way. I have others but I am needing to think.

sounds awesome.....when I was younger I got a sweet CUBS jacket for my 10th B-day.....YOMG I loved it and wore it anywhere and everywhere and wore it out....LOL.....I still have mine too....

Peace

#29 Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

from family
1) gift cards to Barnes and Noble
2) a fruit bouqet from my sister (with strawberries!)
3) tea
4) gift card to Sundance Catalog
5) purple hoodies/sweatshirts to add to my collection
6) jewelry

From myself: my Tiffany "diamond by the yard" necklace - when I was a little girl, I would drool over my mom's Tiffany catalog and I swore when I "grew up" I would have something from Tiffany's. I decided to treat myself for my 35th birthday and I wear my necklace every day.
#30 Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

For my 40th birthday my husband got me 40 things that were meaningful to me from spider beanie babies to the box set of Degrassi Junior High (I loved that show!) to tracking down a long lost friend to getting people who knew me when i was growing up and in school and in college to write what they remembered about me and why they were influcenced by me. it was lovely with lots of personal touches.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page