"Maggie goes on a diet" kids book... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-1...-26388352.html

It is good to teach children healthy habits but to the point that children like 5 think the are fat no.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Disgusting and awful.
#3 Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Disgusting and awful.

Agree.

I do think that kids need to be shown a healthy way of eating and exercise but to say that they will have no friends if they are over weight is bad.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#4 Old 08-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Ira
Banned

I disagree.

It is not like that book tells the kid something new about the fact that they will be made fun of when fat. They are already made fun of. And this is nothing new for this generation either. I remmeber my school that age kids were made fun of for their weight as well. So there is no need to put them into bubble if they already are facing the reality.

The book seems like a good way to show the kids that they can change it. and i don't see it causing eating disorders since it tells to do healthy things: eat healthy food and exercise.

Maybe if more kids would get this book instead of being told how "outside doesn't matter" and " being fat is good" there would be less problem with overweight kids (now this is increasing as far as i know, probably because people nowdays really love to shelter kids from reality) and eating disorders in young kids because they would not be conflicted with people saying that they should do nothing about their weight and at the same time made fun of
#5 Old 08-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Has someone with childhood weight issues, I can relate to the girl in the book, I think this should be a book for those children that think its ok to bully people like her , maybe this book will be a teaching lesson.
#6 Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

she doesn't go on a "diet", she starts living a healthier life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

children like 5

Quote:
about a 14-year-old girl's

nope.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#7 Old 08-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I highly doubt this particular book is going to trigger eating disorders in young girls, especially if (according to the video) 6 years olds are already making note of their own body and show dissatisfaction with it.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#8 Old 08-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I was overweight when I was 10, I'm 14 now and I've lost a lot of weight since then, and it doesn't get you anymore friends.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#9 Old 08-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

I was overweight when I was 10, I'm 14 now and I've lost a lot of weight since then, and it doesn't get you anymore friends.

Same here.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#10 Old 08-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

neither did it for her.

soccer did that.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#11 Old 08-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

That book looks insane, also the author looks pretty unhealthy himself.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#12 Old 08-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

These parents should put more effort into ensuring their kid is eating healthy and exercising, etc., instead of being outraged by this book. This book didn't make their kid fat.
#13 Old 08-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

What a stupid book.
#14 Old 08-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That book looks insane, also the author looks pretty unhealthy himself.

Yes! That's the first thing I thought of when I started watching the clip. Overweight pedo-looking dude in a Hawaiian shirt writing children's books, WTF.

First Madonna, now this.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#15 Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Yes! That's the first thing I thought of when I started watching the clip. Overweight pedo-looking dude in a Hawaiian shirt writing children's books, WTF.

First Madonna, now this.

For serious. I thought he looked like a creeper too.

Also, I think the thing that bothers me about this book so much is that it basically teaches kids that when they are being bullied they should cave in to peer pressure and do whatever others want them to. It just tells overweight kids they aren't good enough but they would be if they lost weight, which is the message they get all day anyway.

Encouraging healthy eating and exercise is good, but the way it's being done is ridiculous to me.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#16 Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

neither did it for her.

soccer did that.

That's what I noticed. I guess that's why people made fun of me, I wasn't much into sports. :shrug:

I don't know how I feel about the book. It's incorrect to make it seem like because you are thin you can be a star or be popular, but it it's no bad thing to eat right, exercise enough and be physically fit. Might help those endorphin levels too and build confidence, and confidence goes a long way to getting you friends.

Someone could be teased because they are overweight, or underweight, or have bad hair, or because they're too quiet, too loud, too smart, too stupid, poor, rich...
#17 Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

That's what I noticed. I guess that's why people made fun of me, I wasn't much into sports. :shrug:

I don't know how I feel about the book. It's incorrect to make it seem like because you are thin you can be a star or be popular, but it it's no bad thing to eat right, exercise enough and be physically fit. Might help those endorphin levels too and build confidence, and confidence goes a long way to getting you friends.

Someone could be teased because they are overweight, or underweight, or have bad hair, or because they're too quiet, too loud, too smart, too stupid, poor, rich...

So I guess I'm saying the message, while obvious, is good; be healthy. The book not so much.
#18 Old 08-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I think maybe the bullying part should have been left out. Bullying is such a hot topic now.......lets not touch that.

I'm sure there are MANY children at 14 years old who are legitimately overweight, and I don't think telling them to move a little more and eat better isn't a bad thing, as long as its done under a doctor's supervision.
Diets and exercise can easily be taken waaay out of hand if the young person is left to their own means, and may spiral into future unhealthy patterns.

Meh, that's that happened with me at least. And joining the cross-country team in high school didn't bring me hoards of new friends.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#19 Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Also, I think the thing that bothers me about this book so much is that it basically teaches kids that when they are being bullied they should cave in to peer pressure and do whatever others want them to. It just tells overweight kids they aren't good enough but they would be if they lost weight, which is the message they get all day anyway.

Encouraging healthy eating and exercise is good, but the way it's being done is ridiculous to me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the author seemed creepy.
#20 Old 08-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm just so glad I'm a grown-up.
#21 Old 08-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm just so glad I'm a grown-up.

We get to read Skinny ***** instead. SOOOOO much better.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#22 Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That'sssss a very nice kids' book you've got there...

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#23 Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I have nothing useful to contribute. I just thought it was amusing that when I clicked on the video link, the first thing it did was advertise a fast food sandwich to me. Not very good selective advertising

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#24 Old 08-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

That'sssss a very nice kids' book you've got there...

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#25 Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-1...-26388352.html

It is good to teach children healthy habits but to the point that children like 5 think the are fat no.

I dunno, I'm kind of divided. Maybe a fat kid will tell it's parent's to put the Ho-Ho down next time they go to the store. Then again, promoting potential eating disorders is never a good thing.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#26 Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it was just done poorly, first of all the name, ya you want it to be a little catchy, but that's not a diet and diets are not good. And like others said showing that if she gives in and changes herself just to fit in and then becomes popular thanks to losing weight doesn't seem right to me. But at the same time, the teasing and not liking yourself is reality. There's a main idea in every book, and this one comes out as, if your fat, lose weight and all your problems will be solved, and that is the same thought that many people with eating disorders have, "if i get skinny i will be happy" that's the main problem for me.
#27 Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

soccer did that.

Fat girls can play soccer, too.
#28 Old 08-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Or too beautiful even!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

Fat girls can play soccer, too.

I want to learn to play Volleyball. Even started a thread, which NO ONE replied to. Help me, I'm faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page