Do you change your style all in one go or slowly over time? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I normally wear clothes until they are falling apart on me then buy a heap at a time. Recently I bought 2 pairs of work pants and about 8 work shirts! Its awsome. I cant understand people that can buy one thing at a time it drives me crazy to have just one t-shirt or something and have nothing that goes with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I just shop constantly......its bad.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#3 Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I would prefer to buy everything at once. Unfortunately I am very picky and sometimes it takes me a long time to find what I am looking for.

So I might buy a whole bunch of tank tops and t-shirts all at once, but when it comes to things like pants, jackets or shoes, it takes me FOREVER to find something that fits me just right and looks good.

I'm in the middle of changing my style and I'm still not done after 6 months of it. But that's mostly because summer is almost over so now I need to start on the fall/winter clothing like sweaters and stuff.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#4 Old 08-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate to shop and hate spending money in general, so I try to take very good care of the clothes I already own. I'm still wearing quite a few clothes I got while in high school--12+ years ago. And I work out in T-shirts that are 15+ years old.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#5 Old 08-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Some days I wear a brown t shirt. Some days I wear a black one.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#6 Old 08-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

You are so dramatically adventurous with your style!
#7 Old 08-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So all at once then?
#8 Old 08-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

My New Year's resolution for this year was to dress more awesomely, so I upped my style considerably after that, but that just meant gradually making and purchasing awesomer clothes as I found them and making an effort to look as awesome as possible with what I have available. I tend to shop at thrift stores and yard sales, so it's not easy to buy in bulk...
#9 Old 08-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I tend to shop at thrift stores and yard sales, so it's not easy to buy in bulk...

Same here. Almost all my clothes are hand me downs or from the thrift store.
#10 Old 08-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Ira
Banned

i usually go for something specific and end up with other things as well

like yesterday i went to get a new dress for a my birthday party and ended up with 3 dresses, a belt, cool rocker pants and a bra. and i still want to go buy some shirts
#11 Old 08-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Same here. Almost all my clothes are hand me downs or from the thrift store.

Yeah, hand-me-downs too.

My mom calls it 'free garage sale' when you got to someone's house and they say, "Oh hey, this box is all stuff I'm getting rid of if you want any of it..." I get a lot of stuff that way. And the occasional ladies clothing exchange.
#12 Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate spending money as well and still regularly wear shirts from 5 years ago when i was in high school, and i don't have a style.
#13 Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Ankle Biter

I've gone from being a cool trendsetter to a suburban, Vera Bradley-toting menopause matron in a disappointingly short period of time.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#14 Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

I hate spending money as well and still regularly wear shirts from 5 years ago when i was in high school, and i don't have a style.

Same. I so need to get a new wardrobe but have no idea where to start.

I have 4 fancy black dresses though.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#15 Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Lol i just realized it totally sounds like i graduated like 5 years ago, but i was a sophomore, i only graduated last year, just to clear that up, the clothes i have are from my sophomore year though.
#16 Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

I pretty much just wear black, makes things easy

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#17 Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Gothic Devil worshiper!
#18 Old 08-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So all at once then?

I guess eventually it really is going to be all at once. At this point I really just haven't got around to it. Like 90% of my clothing, above mentioned ugly brown shirts included, is military issue. Other than that, a couple pairs of pants (literally, 2), some generic work shirts, a couple well worn Zhejiang University shirts, and then in complete contrast, a $1,000 fitted suit for interviews, special occasions, etc lol... I'm trying to normalize myself, but it's hard

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#19 Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I guess eventually it really is going to be all at once. At this point I really just haven't got around to it. Like 90% of my clothing, above mentioned ugly brown shirts included, is military issue. Other than that, a couple pairs of pants (literally, 2), some generic work shirts, a couple well worn Zhejiang University shirts, and then in complete contrast, a $1,000 fitted suit for interviews, special occasions, etc lol... I'm trying to normalize myself, but it's hard

In my world a 1,000$ suit is not normal.
#20 Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

In my world a 1,000$ suit is not normal.

I'm not into suits or expensive clothing at all, it's an investment thing. It's already paid for itself several times over because, well, people are judgmental and it makes for a good first impression. Other than that, when it comes to clothing and style I am completely indifferent.

#21 Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Ira
Banned

i wish i could only wear black. a long haired white cat ruined my dark personality
#22 Old 08-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

i wish i could only wear black. a long haired white cat ruined my dark personality

I am getting back to my Goth roots.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#23 Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Slowly. Sudden changes are for the "Screw the rules, I have money!" mindset.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#24 Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Not unless you have a dog that sheds like crazy! I have to carry a lintbrush around with me whenever I wear black.

Quote:

Yeah, hand-me-downs too.

My mom calls it 'free garage sale' when you got to someone's house and they say, "Oh hey, this box is all stuff I'm getting rid of if you want any of it..." I get a lot of stuff that way. And the occasional ladies clothing exchange.

"Free garage sales" are like Christmas to me. I get all excited because its just like unwrapping gifts.
#25 Old 08-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

i'm determined to hit 180 before i make a buy on a new wardrobe. i'll probably drop about $500 on basics and then i'll just add pieces slowly till i become a clothes horse . only approximately 10-12 ish lbs to lose .

my suits are tailored for my bodybuilding days, where i was a good 50 lbs more. this means new suits, but since i don't need suits for anything i can think of, i'll wait on those .
#26 Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Not unless you have a dog that sheds like crazy! I have to carry a lintbrush around with me whenever I wear black.

My kitty is black and white. Our lint roller gets a LOT of use

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#27 Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

I normally wear clothes until they are falling apart on me then buy a heap at a time. Recently I bought 2 pairs of work pants and about 8 work shirts! Its awsome. I cant understand people that can buy one thing at a time it drives me crazy to have just one t-shirt or something and have nothing that goes with it.

While I shop constantly (and locally), my *style* hasn't changed since I was probably 12, actually, I have and wear clothes I had when I was twelve.

My style doesn't change. >.< Is that a bad thing?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#28 Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

honestly...I am not sure I have a style.....LOL....I have a little bit of everything and tons of tie dye.....I still have clothes from way, way, back when I was in H.S. and they still fit and are still nice so I cant see chucking them....I have comfy hoodies that I have had for years and I LOVE to shop and am always buying new things but only when I have a sale and usually a coupon.........I love, love, love, love shoes and am the same w/ them.

Peace and all that jazz

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#29 Old 08-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm too random to be considered part of one style.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#30 Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what my style is. I've always been 'Alice with the weird clothes'. Like others, I mostly only shop at charity shops so I guess it's just pretty eclectic. Not even that interesting, I dont know why people think i dress so weird.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page