storing gasoline - am i going survivalist? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
nomad888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quebec and Vermont
Posts: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

According to Revelation, the sun will become as dark as sackcloth, so I'm not sure how well solar lights will perform. I'd rely on torches made from rags soaked in tung oil.

Then before this disaster happens, we must find all sackcloths and color them bright yellow. Trust me, it will work.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

nomad888 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,013
I see the truth in it.
paperhanger is offline  
#33 Old 08-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Scorpius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pluto (the planet)
Posts: 6,741
*trying to picture what a sun-sized sackcloth would look like*

Oh Bible, you so funny!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"


www.animal-adoptions.org

Scorpius is offline  
#34 Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

According to Revelation, the sun will become as dark as sackcloth, so I'm not sure how well solar lights will perform. I'd rely on torches made from rags soaked in tung oil.

what's so wonderful about tung oil? are you gonna use a torches to light inside your house? and why are you worried about revelation? if you're talking revelation, and it happens, i've got a one way ticket to hell anyway. the least of my problems with be keeping electricity on.

and why would the bible be any more of a source for future events than greek mythology? revelations, like the rest of the bible, is a fairy tale.
papayamon is offline  
#35 Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

what's so wonderful about tung oil? are you gonna use a torches to light inside your house? and why are you worried about revelation? if you're talking revelation, and it happens, i've got a one way ticket to hell anyway. the least of my problems with be keeping electricity on.

and why would the bible be any more of a source for future events than greek mythology? revelations, like the rest of the bible, is a fairy tale.


Don't get me started on tung oil!

It's Revelation, not Revelations. So is Revelations a fairy tale and you just don't know the truth about Revelation?

BTW, I was just being funny. I thought you were joking, too.
paperhanger is offline  
#36 Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,056
ok. so i drop the s. it's not nonsenses, it's nonsense. .

and i'm really only talking about a natural/national security disaster. being able to buffer your energy needs has gotten to be fairly cheap. knowing you can tough it out for a few weeks without evacuating makes for a certain level of comfort.

as to what we do when the people have a revolution and overthrow the government or jesus returns or the aliens take over, my plan doesn't address it.
papayamon is offline  
#37 Old 08-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

ok. so i drop the s. it's not nonsenses, it's nonsense. .

and i'm really only talking about a natural/national security disaster. being able to buffer your energy needs has gotten to be fairly cheap. knowing you can tough it out for a few weeks without evacuating makes for a certain level of comfort.

as to what we do when the people have a revolution and overthrow the government or jesus returns or the aliens take over, my plan doesn't address it.

Ahh. Well when Rapture comes, don't come running to me for help.
paperhanger is offline  
#38 Old 08-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

Ahh. Well when Rapture comes, don't come running to me for help.

nah. i've already lined up people to have an all out wild sex and drug orgy when the rapture comes. coincidentally, they are all females. when i go to hell, i'm gonna go happy! .

and i think i'll go with propane, so we have plenty of electricity for this shindig!
papayamon is offline  
#39 Old 08-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,153
Prince and the Revolution
Marie is offline  
#40 Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
das_nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,130
Priorities first.

Water is the main one. Do you have a water source? A way of purifying water? Read up on this. A chemical treatment might destroy some infectious sources of disease, but not all.

Second, first aid. (Yes, I probably disagree with the official survival manual on this.) It doesn't have to be major. Remember, you're trying to protect against things that are most likely and that you can treat. This includes any prescription drugs you need. If you're in an area prone to disasters, I don't imagine a doctor having a huge problem with prescribing extra for an emergency.

Third, shelter. Warmth. Doesn't have to be complicated. But I'll have to admit, as a vegan, this can suck. Wool blankets have a clear advantage here, since they will stay warm while wet. A cheap tarp, etc, can keep you dry.

Fourth, food. I wouldn't use electricity to cook. I'd keep canned food I could eat cold if necessary, and if I wanted a stove, I'd go with either a cheap (heavy, most likely) butane stove, or (if you are being really cheap) a pepsi-can stove. Google it, if you don't know what it is. Easy to make, lightweight, runs off of rubbing alcohol. Warm food has important psychological benefits.

Then I'd worry about electricity. Also, a few paperback novels. Maybe games. It's boring, once the disaster strikes and everything else is taken care of.

As for being survivalist, it's a shame that survivalists seem to be the sort of wackos who get off by imagining how the world will end. It makes a lot of sense to me to have a few weeks worth of survival gear, especially if you're in an area where hurricanes or other predictable disasters may strike. Just remember, you're not trying to rebuild civilization, you're just dealing with a few weeks of possibly poor food delivery, no public water, no electricity, and no heat. It doesn't take much to prepare, mostly time, a little money.
das_nut is offline  
#41 Old 08-26-2011, 02:09 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Priorities first.

Water is the main one. Do you have a water source? A way of purifying water? Read up on this. A chemical treatment might destroy some infectious sources of disease, but not all.

Second, first aid. (Yes, I probably disagree with the official survival manual on this.) It doesn't have to be major. Remember, you're trying to protect against things that are most likely and that you can treat. This includes any prescription drugs you need. If you're in an area prone to disasters, I don't imagine a doctor having a huge problem with prescribing extra for an emergency.

Third, shelter. Warmth. Doesn't have to be complicated. But I'll have to admit, as a vegan, this can suck. Wool blankets have a clear advantage here, since they will stay warm while wet. A cheap tarp, etc, can keep you dry.

Fourth, food. I wouldn't use electricity to cook. I'd keep canned food I could eat cold if necessary, and if I wanted a stove, I'd go with either a cheap (heavy, most likely) butane stove, or (if you are being really cheap) a pepsi-can stove. Google it, if you don't know what it is. Easy to make, lightweight, runs off of rubbing alcohol. Warm food has important psychological benefits.

Then I'd worry about electricity. Also, a few paperback novels. Maybe games. It's boring, once the disaster strikes and everything else is taken care of.

As for being survivalist, it's a shame that survivalists seem to be the sort of wackos who get off by imagining how the world will end. It makes a lot of sense to me to have a few weeks worth of survival gear, especially if you're in an area where hurricanes or other predictable disasters may strike. Just remember, you're not trying to rebuild civilization, you're just dealing with a few weeks of possibly poor food delivery, no public water, no electricity, and no heat. It doesn't take much to prepare, mostly time, a little money.

screw this. i just want to stay in my relatively comfortable house while electricity is restored. since i have a well, as long as i could run the pump i'd be ok for water. we're not talking hard core survivalist, because those guys are kooks . not naming names, but we're had a few of them posting on this site .
papayamon is offline  
#42 Old 08-26-2011, 06:40 AM
Impeach the gangster
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,052
Do you have a bomb shelter and radiation protocols? Very important in hurricane season.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Capstan is offline  
#43 Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Do you have a bomb shelter and radiation protocols? Very important in hurricane season.

i got something far more important: my tea party secret encoder ring.
papayamon is offline  
#44 Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

screw this. i just want to stay in my relatively comfortable house while electricity is restored. since i have a well, as long as i could run the pump i'd be ok for water. we're not talking hard core survivalist, because those guys are kooks . not naming names, but we're had a few of them posting on this site .

Actually, I think wells can become contaminated in a hurricane. All the rain water could wash nasty stuff into your well. I'm no expert though, so you may want to research that. Maybe try the National Hurricane Center web site. They have tons of good information there.

But the one big advantage of hurricanes is that we always know they're coming a few days before hand, so you have plenty of time to run out and buy bottled water. The rule of thumb is to keep a gallon per person per day, and just assume that you'll need at least a week's worth during and after a hurricane. I usually stock up on 5 or 6 gallons of bottled water at the start of hurricane season every year, just so I don't have to carry them all at once right before a storm. And right before a storm, I fill my bath tub, so I can use that water to flush the toilet if necessary.

--Fromper
Fromper is offline  
#45 Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Bright Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 642
Our family does pretty much the same things you do, Fromper. I'd also like to add that for flushing potties and watering plants and the like, we would also fill our kayaks (we lived right near the water). Not only did filling them weigh them down and prevent them from flying off, but the extra water let us keep our bottled stuff for drinking and cooking with.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

Bright Bird is offline  
#46 Old 08-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Actually, I think wells can become contaminated in a hurricane. All the rain water could wash nasty stuff into your well. I'm no expert though, so you may want to research that. Maybe try the National Hurricane Center web site. They have tons of good information there.

But the one big advantage of hurricanes is that we always know they're coming a few days before hand, so you have plenty of time to run out and buy bottled water. The rule of thumb is to keep a gallon per person per day, and just assume that you'll need at least a week's worth during and after a hurricane. I usually stock up on 5 or 6 gallons of bottled water at the start of hurricane season every year, just so I don't have to carry them all at once right before a storm. And right before a storm, I fill my bath tub, so I can use that water to flush the toilet if necessary.

--Fromper

somehow it's hard to imagine my well water getting so polluted so quickly. there's nothing in the area that could pose a serious threat. i'll still be putting the water through a softener and a reverse osmosis unit. if something happens, i'll run off a bunch of gallons for storage as soon as i see potential danger.

i really think i'll probably store 50 gallons in 5 gallon jugs. if something happens then i can last for quite a while by conserving water.
papayamon is offline  
#47 Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Impeach the gangster
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,052
Have you considered joining the army? They'll always take care of you.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Capstan is offline  
#48 Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 1,189
LMFAO ! (even though I'm drunk I think I'd find that funny when sober)
Empty_Shell is offline  
#49 Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Have you considered joining the army? They'll always take care of you.

Lol, my sweet nephew is in a marine barracks in NC 1/4 mile from the coast. No evacuations there, except the planes, which they ironically moved to Florida.
LedBoots is offline  
#50 Old 08-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular
 
das_nut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

screw this. i just want to stay in my relatively comfortable house while electricity is restored. since i have a well, as long as i could run the pump i'd be ok for water. we're not talking hard core survivalist, because those guys are kooks . not naming names, but we're had a few of them posting on this site .

I'm not talking about hard-core survivalist either.

But you mention your "comfortable" house. If your well isn't working, or there's no food, or a tree breaks a window and you have nothing to cover the window with, how comfortable will it be?
das_nut is offline  
#51 Old 08-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I'm not talking about hard-core survivalist either.

But you mention your "comfortable" house. If your well isn't working, or there's no food, or a tree breaks a window and you have nothing to cover the window with, how comfortable will it be?

das, if i couldn't handle repairs on my own without any outside help, i wouldn't be worth a damn as a man. if a tree breaks a window, i'm gonna saw it up and board over the window. if my well doesn't work, i'll have several days drinking water already stored (it's in the tanks). and i keep plenty of food in the house, enough for several days. yes, if a tornado ransacks my house, i'm screwed. if i get killed in a car wreck on the way to work, i'm screwed. you can only worry about so much.

with a generator and several tanks of propane, i'd be in good shape to weather an extended power outage. the missing ingredient is electricity. if i've got a 240 outlet and i can run any appliance or the well (even if it only runs one thing at a time), i can get by just fine. i need to move this from planning to actual. i got my eye on craigslist.
papayamon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off