Hindus want compensation for restaurant's mistake - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I know some would want the Hindus fully compensated and the restaurant punished, but isn't this going too far?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/0...sas/?hpt=hp_c2

Quote:
The Hindu customers said the restaurant served them meat samosas, harming them emotionally and spirituality. A state appellate court ruled Wednesday that they can sue for the cost of travel to India to purify their souls.

Quote:
What the 16 Hindus want is compensation for a trip to the Hindu holy town of Haridwar, India, where the Ganges begins its downward flow to the ocean. There, they want to take dips in the river and, by Hindu belief, cleanse their souls of sin.

Were they completely sinless before? Do they run to India every time they make a mistake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think it's going to far.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#3 Old 07-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

One of the comments on the article:

Quote:
Mani (Hindu)
\t\t\t \t\t\tHiduism forgive if you eat meat without you knowing that you are eating meat. Therfore there is no sin to purify, but these people have to purify their sin for sueing someone who had no intension of making harm to their soul. It was a simple mistake. Do not abuse the system.

Pretty much the same advice you see in the VB threads about "slip ups" all the time. I don't know enough about the Hindu religion to know if accidental consumption is specifically covered, but if a Hindu is saying it, I'm inclined to believe him/her.

I do think that raising a big stink with the restaurant is appropriate, but suing may be going a little too far.

--Fromper
#4 Old 07-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

If they were so worried about it, then they shouldn't have been in a country where the diet of the vast majority of the population is meat based. We deal with things like this regularly. We deal with it by complaining a little and moving on. If a restaurant accidentally serves you meat you didn't order, the worst you should be able to do is... choose not to return to that restaurant

This also sets a dangerous standard that, as with many other legal standards, would be worse for the little guys. I doubt some little Indian restaurant can afford to pay compensation like this without going out of business.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#5 Old 07-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Some veg friends of mine had this happen to them at a local Indian restaurant. The weird thing is, the restaurant's owners are vegetarians.

To be honest, is forcing the restaurant to pay compensation going to undo what happened? It might be more productive to just get an apology and have them promise to take extra care in future.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#6 Old 07-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned

Cha Ching! Free vacation!
#7 Old 07-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never seen such a huge list of comments, there are 34 pages!

As for the restaurant, I dont think that it should be sued, people make mistakes. It should do something like apologise and offer a free meal or something. But then I would not want to go back to a place where that happened.
#8 Old 07-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, it's going too far. Everyone wants compensation for imagined wrongs done to them. Give me a break.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#9 Old 07-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

If they were so worried about it, then they shouldn't have been in a country where the diet of the vast majority of the population is meat based.

Wouldn't that describe everyone on this forum?
#10 Old 07-23-2011, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

#11 Old 07-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I don't believe so, because we understand this fact and have learned to live with it while trying to change it in our own way. If we accidentally do make a mistake, we don't act like we're going to hell or something unless we travel halfway across the world to get purified in a location based on a holy river that is, incidentally, one of the most polluted, toxic rivers in the world. They can believe what they want, but a restaurant shouldn't have to float the bill for those beliefs because of a simple mistake. The difference is that we see it as what it is, a problem that is bound to happen from time to time in such a society, and make adjustments to reduce the chances of it happening again.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#12 Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

It is going too far, although if it was me who was served the meat samosa, I would be pissed off!

That said, some of the writers of the comments on the 1st page of the website need to pull their head out of their ass. For one, there's a lot of evidence that shows that Jesus and early Christians were vegetarians.
#13 Old 07-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

They can believe what they want, but a restaurant shouldn't have to float the bill for those beliefs because of a simple mistake. The difference is that we see it as what it is, a problem that is bound to happen from time to time in such a society, and make adjustments to reduce the chances of it happening again.

I don't think they will reduce the chances of it happening again. rather they will not make the promise that anything is vegetarian and put themselves up for another lawsuit. just say everything may contain meat, pork, cow, fingers of undocumented workers.

* this post may contain meat, pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#14 Old 07-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I tend to think they are going a little far, although I don't know enough about Hinduism to be sure what is required. I know I didn't sue for a trip to Israel after Pret a Manger accidentally gave me a ham croissant.
#15 Old 07-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

* this post may contain meat, pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers.

#16 Old 07-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Cha Ching! Free vacation!

I had cheese contamination from the pizza I got at Subway. I need to cleanse my soul in the holy waters of Maui NOW!!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#17 Old 07-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Just another person /people taking advantage of their religious beliefs to cause waves/get attention/cash in.

Reminds me of that Muslim without proper swimming attire in the public swimming pool incident.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#18 Old 07-23-2011, 02:43 PM

I think they have every right to some form of compensation but asking to be sent to India is too much.

~Tabby~ I am a very new vegetarian (20 June 2011) and am still learning a lot. I'm probably quite naive in my views.
#19 Old 07-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbyx View Post

I think they have every right to some form of compensation but asking to be sent to India is too much.

The Ganges is a nasty ass river too. Sacred or not, it still harbors some pretty horrible water-bourne diseases that ravage India.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page