MeetUps? Anyone ever been to any? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm talking about meetup.com

There's a vegetarian/vegan one in my city. I found them on meetup while searching the internet for cooking classes in my area.

Anyways, I've never done the "meetup.com" thing, and I really don't know what to do at/with one.

Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Thanks!

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Ira
Banned

i liked mine. i went to vegetarian and to some arts/culture meetups and they were all very fun. people were very friendly and it is nice to find the crowd of people who like the same things
#3 Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Beginner

I did a couple of vegan meetups, it was fun, I met very nice and friendly people, and it gives the opportunity to try different veg*an restaurants. I do enjoy it. As Ira said, it nice to be surrounded with like-minded people.

不死鳥
#4 Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

You show up and meet some people. Maybe you'll make some friends, and maybe you won't. But what have you got to lose? Go for it!

--Fromper
#5 Old 07-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to a VB meet-up in Boston. It was great! I promise if I ever go to another one, I will speak more than ten words! lol
#6 Old 07-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Well that was a miserable experience.

Tonight's meetup was at a local Indy-type community theater showing "Planeat."

The info on meetup.com said they'd "probably be the only ones there," and not to worry about finding them, that they're "good about spotting confused people, and generally ask everyone there if they're there for ColumbiaVeg." <--The name of the group.

I showed up a half hour early to try and find the group. Slowly, the theater became packed. It had sold out. Everyone was recognizing each other left and right... It was impossible to tell who might be recognizing each other from meetups or whatever. I listened in on other's conversations, but couldn't find the group. I didn't feel comfortable asking all of these strangers if they were there with meetup.com.

They also said on the site that they'd be going to a nearby bar called The Hunter Gatherer for hummus and snacks. Guess what! The theater manager invited the whole darned theater over there! I didn't go to the bar. I sat in the theater alone drinking my beer, and I figured that I'd wind up doing the same at the bar.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#7 Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened to you. I have made many friends through meetup groups. Some are better than others. I have never been to one that was at a venue like that where they would be hard to spot.

If you want to try meeting them again, maybe message the organizer of the event and tell them that you couldn't find them last time and that you would like to meet them at the door.

If you are looking to meet new people, try looking up meetups for your other interests. Like I said, I have made many friends and had some great times because of meetup.

Good luck

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#8 Old 07-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Ira
Banned

oh thats sucks. i would try it again though, just message the organizer and tell what happened they will try to meet you better next time

i really like meetups but when going first it nmay be hard to find them. i went to a play with a group last sunday and it was a miracle i saw the meetup button while walking around the crowd
#9 Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I can't imagine going to a meetup at a theater like that. The groups down here usually meet at restaurants where you can just ask at the door for the veg group, and the host will take you to their group of tables. They also did a picnic in the park a couple of times, where they rent a specific pavilion, so you know to just head to that pavilion. It strikes me as very weird to have a meetup group meet at a busy venue like that where it'll be hard to find them.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page