When I wish upon a star - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

I have to believe it exists, on faith, because
due to light pollution, I can't actually see it.

I could drive for 45 minutes in any direction - still no stars.

I don't understand why there are so many street lights. I hate street lights. I tend to think that just like exposure to sunlight is required for good health, so is exposure to deep black nights. I certainly would feel better if I could look at the stars once in awhile, but it just isn't practical, unless I plan a special trip, at special expense.

How can I persuade my neighbors that they don't need so many street lights? I don't understand why they like them so much, so it makes it hard for me to figure out how to persuade them to be without them. I really don't get it. They all agree that we should conserve on fuel, and not use electricity for things that are unnecessary. But they actually call, write, and email, their local government representative, repeatedly, and ask for a street light in some spot that they think really needs one but doesn't have one. And again for another street light in another spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

How can I persuade my neighbors that they don't need so many street lights?

-create a robot looking just like a human and program it to become a successful politician who will get elected and implement legislation to ban street lights
-climb down your neighbors' chimneys at inappropriate times, pretending that it's Christmas, and do it so many times that they give up and agree to do anything to make you stop doing so
-create a religion where street lights are seen as manifestations of demons, and convince your whole neighborhood to subscribe to the religion via intense proselytizing

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#3 Old 05-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

"create a religion where street lights are seen as manifestations of demons, and convince your whole neighborhood to subscribe to the religion via intense proselytizing"

Yea, but how do I do that?
#4 Old 05-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

"create a religion where street lights are seen as manifestations of demons, and convince your whole neighborhood to subscribe to the religion via intense proselytizing"

Yea, but how do I do that?

Shouldn't be hard. Look at what Harold Camping did..or hell, look at how many people go to Church every Sunday.

Tam! RUGH!
#5 Old 05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Shouldn't be hard. Look at what Harold Camping did..or hell, look at how many people go to Church every Sunday.

I am just as puzzled as to why people follow Harold Camping, or why people go to church, unless they are bribed to go with food, music, whatever.
#6 Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Tell them street lights are a burden on tax payers and that everyone should pay their own way via headlights, flashlights, torches and reflectors.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#7 Old 05-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

Rhys suggestion makes sense, but that is probably why it wouldn't work, since having so many streetlights makes no sense, yet people still want more.
#8 Old 05-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

I think I should tell them that street lights attract aliens from outer space who abduct small children, and this explains why there are so many missing children who are never found, and by removing street lights, we make it harder for the aliens to find them.
#9 Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Impeach the gangster

Persuade the government to shut down all unnecessary 'official' lighting. Stop lighting up City Hall, the State Capitol, the Lincoln Memorial, etc. It sets an example of extravagance that people follow.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#10 Old 05-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

You'd think with motion detection lighting being so easy to have, they'd get rid of outdoor lights being left on all the time. It's like water heaters. Old style keeps hot water 24/7, new style just heats it up the moment you need it.
#11 Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

You'd think with motion detection lighting being so easy to have, they'd get rid of outdoor lights being left on all the time. It's like water heaters. Old style keeps hot water 24/7, new style just heats it up the moment you need it.

We have something like that on our street. I'm not sure if they're motion activated or on a timer.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#12 Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

Some of the high efficiency lamps take a minute or 2 to reach full brightness, so between the time a motion sensor detects an oncoming car and the time the lamp reaches full brightness, the car is gone already. Even simpler - it seems to me that if my headlights are properly adjusted, and of the proper brightness, streetlights do nothing to improve my visibility. In fact, they make it worse.

Also, there is one thing that I can think of that is worse than artificial light at night, obscuring the stars, and that is lights flashing on and off randomly from place to place, causing frequent adaptation of your pupil's to different light levels.
#13 Old 05-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

i hate light pollution. have you ever seen a map of it? the entire east coast is lit up. at least around here some street lights have solar panels attached to them
the best place i know around here to look at stars involves taking the highway into the everglades, turning off at an unmarked and unpaved service road, and driving 3 miles.
#14 Old 05-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i hate light pollution. have you ever seen a map of it? the entire east coast is lit up. at least around here some street lights have solar panels attached to them
the best place i know around here to look at stars involves taking the highway into the everglades, turning off at an unmarked and unpaved service road, and driving 3 miles.

yes, seen photos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page