Evan Potts kills attacker - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

Why does anyone think this is manslaughter? Why doesn't everyone think that this is justifiable self-defense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

A link of some kind might have been a bit more informative than just putting some guy's name in the thread title.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#3 Old 05-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Banned

just google evan potts
#4 Old 05-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Ira
Banned

i don't really think that running someone over with a car is justifiable self defense.

the only think why i think he should not be charged is that apparently he didn't do it on purpose
#5 Old 05-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Banned

Why not? Sherrin followed Potts around for miles, boxed his car in, banged on his car, yelled vulgarities, demanded that Potts get out of the car while banging on it. When potts tried to drive away, sherin stood in front. Driving over him was the only way to get away. Furthermore, Sherrin weighed over 200 pounds, Potts weight 140. What was Potts going to do instead, let sherrin break the glass, drag him out, and beat him up?
#6 Old 05-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Ira
Banned

the only way to go would be to call the police and wait for them. killing someone for that is not the way.
#7 Old 05-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

Potts did call police. Waiting for them any longer could have cost him his life.
#8 Old 05-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Ira
Banned

i know that he called. thats why i think he shouldn't be charged, what was said there makes it look like it wasn't intentional.

i don't see how it would cost him his life if he stayed in the car until police came. i am not very much for people running angry people over with a car, shooting at trespassers etc.
#9 Old 05-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

i know that he called. thats why i think he shouldn't be charged, what was said there makes it look like it wasn't intentional.

i don't see how it would cost him his life if he stayed in the car until police came. i am not very much for people running angry people over with a car, shooting at trespassers etc.

I already explained how. The agressor who was banging on Pott's car, could easily have banged on the glass, broke it, and dragged Potts out and beat him up, perhaps killing him.
#10 Old 05-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

just google evan potts

If you're too lazy to provide a link in your own thread, I'm going to be too lazy to Google anything.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#11 Old 05-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I already explained how. The agressor who was banging on Pott's car, could easily have banged on the glass, broke it, and dragged Potts out and beat him up, perhaps killing him.

i'm 5'6 and when i stand in front of my car i can't even reach across the hood. how tall was this guy? are you saying that he could have broken the windshield and dragged potts out while standing in front of the car? because it's kind of difficult to run someone over if they're standing by the side of the car.
if course i don't know the story since there's no link so i'm just going by what's being said here
#12 Old 05-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i'm 5'6 and when i stand in front of my car i can't even reach across the hood. how tall was this guy? are you saying that he could have broken the windshield and dragged potts out while standing in front of the car? because it's kind of difficult to run someone over if they're standing by the side of the car.
if course i don't know the story since there's no link so i'm just going by what's being said here

He could have moved to the side of Pott's car, between pott's car and the other car or tree that was blocking pott's car in, and with one rap on the windshield, or side window, with a foot or gloved hand, broken through it. I've seen a road-raged guy do this. Or he could have stood on pott's hood and kicked in the windhield. Either way, then he could have reached in and broken Pott's nose with his fist. I've seen that also. Once the window is broken you can reach in and open the door, and drag the guy out. Once you've dragged the person out, it is easy to kill him, with fists, feet, or tools. If someone is banging on your car, and screaming vulgarities at you, I think it is safe to assume that if they could, they would bang on you.

Yes it is harder to hit someone with your car they are standing by the side of your car. The way to stop them from doing that, and hurting you, is to hit them with your car, before they slide over to the side.

What do you think would have happened if Sherin did this to a police officer instead of a civilian? What do you think the DA would have done if the police officer had shot and killed sherrin, or run sherrin over with their patrol car? What do you think the public would be doing? it seems to me that the public would be applauding the police for killing sherin and applauding the da for ruling that this was not undue use of force.
#13 Old 05-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

He could have moved to the side of Pott's car, between pott's car and the other car or tree that was blocking pott's car in, and with one rap on the windshield, or side window, with a foot or gloved hand, broken through it. I've seen a road-raged guy do this. Or he could have stood on pott's hood and kicked in the windhield. Either way, then he could have reached in and broken Pott's nose with his fist. I've seen that also. Once the window is broken you can reach in and open the door, and drag the guy out. Once you've dragged the person out, it is easy to kill him, with fists, feet, or tools. If someone is banging on your car, and screaming vulgarities at you, I think it is safe to assume that if they could, they would bang on you.

Yes it is harder to hit someone with your car they are standing by the side of your car. The way to stop them from doing that, and hurting you, is to hit them with your car, before they slide over to the side.

it takes time to get from the front of the car to the side, break the window, and drag someone out. plenty of time for potts to drive off when his path was clear. it's a different story when someone climbs on the hood, which i assume didn't happen here, and it would be a different story if the guy had pulled out a weapon.
#14 Old 05-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

it takes time to get from the front of the car to the side, break the window, and drag someone out. plenty of time for potts to drive off when his path was clear. it's a different story when someone climbs on the hood, which i assume didn't happen here, and it would be a different story if the guy had pulled out a weapon.

The path is never "clear" if the maniac is hanging onto your side mirror, your door handle, etc, as he moves from the front of your car to the side, which only takes a moment, while his face is looking at you through the windshield as he bends over the hood, from the side. If the maniac climbs onto the hood, from the front, or the side, it is too late drive away safely, without hurting oneself or bystanders, in the process, so it would be necessary to strike the assailant with the car before he hopped onto the hood.

If you've ever seen a road-raging person like this, they usually run around your car in circles pounding on it the whole time, grabbing the door handles and mirrors, and demanding that you get out. Getting away without harming them, is impossible.
#15 Old 05-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:

Why does anyone think this is manslaughter? Why doesn't everyone think that this is justifiable self-defense?

Because he used his car to kill, rather than to stop the attacker. Ask yourself, had Potts been carrying a loaded, fully licensed gun, would he have been justified in using it to kill the attacker? The answer is no. Wound him, maybe; but not kill him.

Quote:

Why not? Sherrin followed Potts around for miles, boxed his car in, banged on his car, yelled vulgarities, demanded that Potts get out of the car while banging on it. When potts tried to drive away, sherin stood in front.

None of this warrants a death sentence. Potts made himself judge, jury and executioner.

Quote:
Driving over him was the only way to get away.

Not true. He could have pushed him over and possibly disabled him. Or forced him out of the way, so he could drive off. Running completely over him was out of proportion to the circumstances and resulted in an unnecessary death.

Quote:
Furthermore, Sherrin weighed over 200 pounds, Potts weight 140. What was Potts going to do instead, let sherrin break the glass, drag him out, and beat him up?

Sherrin didn't exhibit deadly force against Potts; therefore, the law questions Potts' use of it against Sherrin.

What he did may have been unintentional, but it will be up to a court to decide. In the meantime, there is a very large question mark about his action.

To the OP: I agree, you should post more information about the subject- either a link or a summary in your own words....

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#16 Old 05-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

"Ask yourself, had Potts been carrying a loaded, fully licensed gun, would he have been justified in using it to kill the attacker?"

The answer is yes.

"He could have pushed him over and possibly disabled him. "

There is no way to push someone over, with your car, without risking causing fatal injuries. Your hood goes into their midsection, they loose balance, and the back of their head hits the road. This is what happened here. Once they are under your car, if they are still alive, you risk having your brake lines cut. It is necessary to make sure they don't do that, by continuing to drive forward before they have a chance.

"Sherrin didn't exhibit deadly force against Potts; therefore, the law questions Potts' use of it against Sherrin."

It isn't necessary have deadly force exhibited by a transgressor, in order to be justified in using deadly force against them. If you are at risk of being harmed by an agressor, and it seems difficult to get away, you are justified in using sufficient force to prevent being harmed. There was no way for Potts to get away, without risking killing Sherin. Nor does it seem he intended to kill sherin, only that there was no path that a car could get through, except through Sherin, and Sherin was killed in the process. It is hard to drive forward with someone standing in front of your car, without risking killing them. Sometimes they will fall so that their head is struck lethally, sometimes they will fall some other way, and survive.

And what if the maniac has a gun?

Personally, while I would try to avoid this, I think you are justified in going back and running your tires over their head to make sure you crack it open. That is the only way to make sure the insane enraged person doesn't shoot you, as you are driving away.
#17 Old 05-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:

"Ask yourself, had Potts been carrying a loaded, fully licensed gun, would he have been justified in using it to kill the attacker?"

The answer is yes.

Fortunately, civilization doesn't agree with your 19th-century philosophy.

Quote:
"He could have pushed him over and possibly disabled him. "

There is no way to push someone over, with your car, without risking causing fatal injuries. Your hood goes into their midsection, they loose balance, and the back of their head hits the road. This is what happened here. Once they are under your car, if they are still alive, you risk having your brake lines cut. It is necessary to make sure they don't do that, by continuing to drive forward before they have a chance.

Are you aware of, "reverse?"

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#18 Old 05-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

Have you ever seen a road-raging person like this. They are insane. It seems they actually are intentionally trying to make it so there is no way to get away from them without killing them.
#19 Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

"Are you aware of, "reverse?""

He was boxed in. There was no way to get away from the maniac, who could still be alive, by going backwards. Also, once you have knocked someone down with your car and he is now fully or partially under your car, it would not be it be any less likely to cause the assailant any further injury by going backwards, than by continuing forward. So suggesting going in reverse makes no sense.
#20 Old 05-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The path is never "clear" if the maniac is hanging onto your side mirror, your door handle, etc, as he moves from the front of your car to the side, which only takes a moment, while his face is looking at you through the windshield as he bends over the hood, from the side. If the maniac climbs onto the hood, from the front, or the side, it is too late drive away safely, without hurting oneself or bystanders, in the process, so it would be necessary to strike the assailant with the car before he hopped onto the hood.

If you've ever seen a road-raging person like this, they usually run around your car in circles pounding on it the whole time, grabbing the door handles and mirrors, and demanding that you get out. Getting away without harming them, is impossible.

again, he can't get to you while he's in front of the car so there's no reason to run him over (unless he's armed). or was he hit while at the side of the car and leaning over the hood?
and if he's running around the car you can drive away while he's behind you. cars accelerate faster than humans can run around. also, i assume from the description that the guy didn't run in front of the moving car. people are also not likely to be able to hang on to a door handle or mirror if you start driving off

Quote:

"Are you aware of, "reverse?""

He was boxed in. There was no way to get away from the maniac, who could still be alive, by going backwards.

how was he boxed in? what was on each side of him?
#21 Old 05-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Banned

"cars accelerate faster than humans can run around."

Actually, that is not true. A human can accellerate from 0 mph to a few mph, faster than a car can. If you decide to drive forward, while someone is standing alongside your car, they could get in front of your car, before your car moves ahead any appreciable distance, and be struck by the front of your car.

"how was he boxed in? what was on each side of him?"

I don't know. The news articles reported that the witnesses said that the assailant has been chasing the victim for several miles, and that the victim has been successfully escaping being boxed in for several miles, but that the assailant had finally managed to box the victim in.

"it would be a different story if the guy had pulled out a weapon."

If you are being chased by a lunatic for several miles, by a lunatics in a car, and he eventually manages to box you in, he has been using his car to threaten you, and if you then use your car to harm him, this isn't the case where you use a "deadly weapon" on a the lunatic who has not "displayed a deadly weapon." His car is no less of a deadly a weapon than your car. In this case, the lunatic had a Porche, a faster and more maneuverable car. The victim managed to overcome him, with a Nissan Altima.
#22 Old 05-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

It's hard to say until you hear all the facts, but I might acquit the guy on self defense. Road rage people can be lethal, and if he chased the guy for miles and boxed him in, I can see why he'd do anything to get away.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#23 Old 05-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I would have ran his arse over too. If someone is that crazed, I'm not waiting to see *if* they have a weapon or *if* they are going to break my window.
#24 Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

If you're too lazy to provide a link in your own thread, I'm going to be too lazy to Google anything.

I agree, I just wanted to middle-mouse-button click a link, too lazy to Google it
#25 Old 05-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Why not? Sherrin followed Potts around for miles, boxed his car in, banged on his car, yelled vulgarities, demanded that Potts get out of the car while banging on it. When potts tried to drive away, sherin stood in front. Driving over him was the only way to get away. Furthermore, Sherrin weighed over 200 pounds, Potts weight 140. What was Potts going to do instead, let sherrin break the glass, drag him out, and beat him up?

I don't agree with what he did at all.

If someone's worth running over, they're worth backing over and running over again just to be sure they're really, really dead.

Only running over someone once is a dick move.

Tam! RUGH!
#26 Old 05-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I am going to guess some of you have never been threatened by some lunatic.
#27 Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

hindsight is 20/20. it's so easy to decide what is the right/wrong thing to do when it wasn't our asses that were scared sh*tless in that car.

edited to add: scare me and then stand in front of my car and i will run your stupid a** over.

Atame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page