LGBTQ Initialism - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Which intialism do you use?
LGB 0 0%
LGBTQ 7 43.75%
GLBTG 0 0%
LBGTI 0 0%
SGL 0 0%
QUILTBAG 0 0%
FABGLITTER 0 0%
LGBT 8 50.00%
GLBT 1 6.25%
MSGI (minority sexual and gender identities) 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Which one do you use most often?

LGBTQ?
LGBT?
LGB (without the T for transgendered, as sexual orientation and gender are different issues)
GLBTQ?
LGBTI (I for intersex)
GLBTA (A for allies or asexual)
SGL (same gender loving)
QUILTBAG (U for undecided, I for intersex, A for asexual and allies
FABGLITTER (F for fetish, A for asexual/ poly-amorous/ allies, I for intersex, second T and then ER for Transsexual Engendered Revolution)
MSGI (minority sexual and gender identities)

Where L- lesbian, G- gay, B- bisexual, T- transgendered, Q- queer or questioning

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually tend to use LGB/LBG most often since I don't consider transsexualism to be a sexual orientation. To me it's something entirely different.
#3 Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I use LGBTQI.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#4 Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I voted for LGBTQ because that's the most recent one I can remember, but honestly I'm just a fag.

There's too much PC stuff for my old brain to keep track of anymore.
#5 Old 05-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

I use LGBTQI.

What *is* the Q and I?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 05-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I voted for LGBTQ because that's the most recent one I can remember, but honestly I'm just a fag.

There's too much PC stuff for my old brain to keep track of anymore.

You self identify as fag? That surprises me, considering how pejorative that word is.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#7 Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I only use fag amongst my gay friends, which I assume the people in this thread are. Kind of like the 'n' word among black people.
#8 Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I only use fag amongst my gay friends, which I assume the people in this thread are. Kind of like the 'n' word among black people.

Yes, there is definitely a lot to be said for taking back heterosexist, sexist, and racists slurs. It is a way to redefine the words and make the loose their pejorative meanings. Isn't that what happend with queer?

However, as I am an ally and not a homosexual person myself, I wouldn't use the term myself, even with my close gay and lesbian friends.

#9 Old 05-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

LGBT because I often forget what the other ones mean.
#10 Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Well it helps to understand that I was kicked out of my home at a young age and asked never to return. Having your 'sweet' old Catholic mother call you a faggot and wish you were never born, kinda makes a mark. Don't get me wrong I'm not looking for sympathy here... I've adopted the term as a means to give the old lady the finger and let her know that I'm perfectly okay with being a 'fag'. I honestly don't know why it helps... but it does. I do apologize if it upsets other LGBTQ folks.
#11 Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

LGB.

Excuse my ignorance here but wouldn't the Q come under that without needing its own initial?

All the rest are not strictly sexuality so...I don't know.
#12 Old 05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh reading it again I quite like MSGI.
#13 Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Overthinking it, since I don't quite belong to any of these groups it's not really a choice for me to make.
#14 Old 05-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Overthinking it, since I don't quite belong to any of these groups it's not really a choice for me to make.

I didn't think it was asking what you identify as, compared to what intialism you use to refer to people under that particular umbrella.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#15 Old 05-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I didn't think it was asking what you identify as, compared to what intialism you use to refer to people under that particular umbrella.

Yeah I get that. What I mean is I guess I just think of gay as one group, bi as another, transexual as another...I don't umbrella it because for me there's no need to.

I am in a toilet cubicle, just to explain why my posts are a bit scatty
#16 Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Yeah I get that. What I mean is I guess I just think of gay as one group, bi as another, transexual as another...I don't umbrella it because for me there's no need to.

I am in a toilet cubicle, just to explain why my posts are a bit scatty

I think part of the problem with 'umbrellas' is it keeps a minority group, on a minority level. The more we refer to them as separate, the more they are separated.

Quote:
#17 Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I think part of the problem with 'umbrellas' is it keeps a minority group, on a minority level. The more we refer to them as separate, the more they are separated.

This makes sense.
#18 Old 05-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

The problem I have with many of these euphemisms is that quite often it isn't even what the particular group wants, but is simply a means to try and pacify them. In my field (archaeology) I've worked with many 'Native Americans' and they all simply abhor the use of that phrase. That phrase was invented to make white people feel better about themselves. The vast majority of 'Native Americans' I have worked with were insulted by that term, and asked that I simply call them Indians. That's what they want, and I respect that. I've never met an Indian that liked the term 'Native American'.
#19 Old 05-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The problem I have with many of these euphemisms is that quite often it isn't even what the particular group wants, but is simply a means to try and pacify them. In my field (archaeology) I've worked with many 'Native Americans' and they all simply abhor the use of that phrase. That phrase was invented to make white people feel better about themselves. The vast majority of 'Native Americans' I have worked with were insulted by that term, and asked that I simply call them Indians. That's what they want, and I respect that. I've never met an Indian that liked the term 'Native American'.

Really? Who came up with the GLBT letter salad initially, by the way.

And you're right, I know some Indians and they prefer Indian or Amer-Indian. But not Native American. In fact most I know resist the terms America in the first place.

#20 Old 05-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Who came up with the GLBT letter salad initially, by the way.

I have no idea. I just know that it wasn't me.
#21 Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have no idea. I just know that it wasn't me.

lol. Wiki says it was a self-designation coined by the gay community in the 1990s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT.

#22 Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Those f-cking gay people!
#23 Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Xcvsgfhfghfhdbdhdhdhddgtrdxdx

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#24 Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

It doesn't really matter because when I take over the world everyone will be under my supreme influence.
#25 Old 05-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Which one do you use most often?
FABGLITTER (F for fetish, A for asexual/ poly-amorous/ allies, I for intersex, second T and then ER for Transsexual Engendered Revolution)

FabulousGlitter?

I use LGBTQ, with Q being Questioning.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#26 Old 05-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yup.

Oh, personally, I don't use any of those terms. I just say "gay". None of the gay people I know seem to mind.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#27 Old 05-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Yup.

Oh, personally, I don't use any of those terms. I just say "gay". None of the gay people I know seem to mind.

But then that leaves no word for "homosexual male".

Quote:

Those f-cking gay people!

Damn them!

#28 Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I always hear it as GLBT rather than as LGBT, but apparently LGBT is more than twice as popular according to googlefight. Everything around here is GLBT... GLBT Resource Center, GLBT Reading Group, etc.
#29 Old 05-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I also see/head GLBTQIAWTFBBQ and other variations being thrown around a lot. And I've also seen OSGM (Outside the Sex(uality)/Gender Mainstream) as well as OMGS (Outside of Mainstream Gender/Sexuality).

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#30 Old 05-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

GLBTQIAWTFBBQ

What's all that stand for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page