Would you use this toilet? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Would you use this toilet?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Maybe 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-24-2004, 07:34 PM

LONDON - Visitors to Britain will find a new stop on Londons site-seeing route this spring: a usable public toilet enclosed in one-way mirrored glass situated on a sidewalk near the River Thames. The contemporary art exhibit, which allows the user to see out while passers-by cannot peep in, toys with the concepts of privacy and voyeurism.

I think thered be a twinge of not believing that people outside couldnt see you, said Jeff Boloten, as he peered into the glass cube to see the metal prison toilet and its transparent walls.

The exhibit, entitled "Dont Miss A Sec," is on display at a construction site across the road from Tate Britain, the national gallery of British art from 1500 to the present.

As museum-goers inquisitively press their noses to the reflective glass, and construction workers mill about, it isn't difficult to see why people would feel uneasy about using the glass outhouse.

Playing with the idea of the most private bodily function and having to sit on a street corner is just bizarre, said Boloten, who works at the Tate Britain.

The construction site makes it interesting because portable toilets are at construction sites all the time, but, the Tate Britains a respected institution; the juxtaposition makes it more unique, he said.

Far from testing the viewers levels of embarrassment versus exhibitionism, the artist, Italian-born Monica Bonvicini, conceived of the idea while watching people at art openings. Amid the gossip and pageantry, nobody wanted to leave the room for fear of missing a key entrance or comment. The "Dont Miss A Sec" exhibit -- which was unveiled in December -- reflects peoples reluctance to leave the spectacle, and allows the art-goer to remain in the action, even while on the toilet.

While some viewers meditate on the exhibits psychological and cultural implications others revert to telling potty jokes.

British dailies and art commentaries have also had fun with the subject: Loo with a view and Bathroom humor in London have been among the headlines.

The use of the sterile prison toilet and sink unit stems from the fact that the site once housed the Millbank Penitentiary, where prisoners were held before being transported to Australia in the 1800s.

The prison's architect Jeremy Bentham had hoped to create a Panoptican, or all-seeing, surveillance system for the penitentiary.

His design envisioned a cylindrical central tower, from where a guard could see all the prisoners in their cells, which radiated out from the tower, without being seen himself.

Bentham believed that the knowledge that they were being watched would prevent prisoners from being disobedient, and that they would come to internalize the watchful eye and be able to act as their own guards if they were eventually released.

Although Benthams Panoptican was never realized, 21st century surveillance systems, like closed circuit television (CCTV), have taken on a similar role.

"Dont Miss a Sec" turns the tables by taking the all-seeing power away from the camera and giving it to the person on the toilet, while letting them remain invisible to the world.

But peoples' fears of being seen with their pants down still hold strong.

In 2000, a pair of self-proclaimed performance artists caused an uproar when they relieved themselves on artist Marcel Duchamp's 1917 sculpture of a urinal, on display at London's Tate Modern gallery.

But, even with full permission to defecate on Bonvicini's work of art, Britons and tourists alike tend to shy away from the challenge.

Considering that four-man outdoor urinals are a frequent site in the U.K. capital, some may question the need for nerves. And in some cultures using the toilet is not considered a private matter at all. In fact, it was common for ancient Greek aristocrats to discuss political and business affairs while attending to their own "personal business" in communal bathrooms.

Whatever one's take on toilet etiquette, visitors "Don't Miss A Sec" while viewing, or using, this exhibit.

You can see a photo of the toilet here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4326340/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

no--no way no how no chance!! i get stagefright too much if i can hear someone talking--people being able to see me? uh-uh
#3 Old 02-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Banned

That's just brilliant! BRILLIANT!! I'd use it for sure.
#4 Old 02-24-2004, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Sure, why not?
#5 Old 02-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes I would.

An interesting idea. I like the way in which some modern art uses interaction as a central part of itself.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#6 Old 02-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd do it.
#7 Old 02-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder how many people will have sex in it.
#8 Old 02-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Beginner

Hmm, I might have to pay this installation a visit if I'm in the area.
#9 Old 02-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

That would sound fun except that I abhor public toilets. It isn't a germ thing either. I am just weird.
#10 Old 02-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd be too shy.
#11 Old 02-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Heck yeah.
#12 Old 02-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Meo
Veggie Regular

*shrugs* I'd use it!
#13 Old 02-24-2004, 08:44 PM

nonono...
#14 Old 02-24-2004, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I would put money on more people using it for that purpose than actually having a wee

m8itcanw8.com
#15 Old 02-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

If I really had to go...
#16 Old 02-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

What if the glass isn't sound proof?
#17 Old 02-24-2004, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

I would put money on more people using it for that purpose than actually having a wee

I bet you're right!
#18 Old 02-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

i said maybe cause it'd depend on how bad i had to go and how far to a 'normal' bathroom. and also how clean it was.

i hate using an outhouse in a public campground cause you can hear people walking by and you just know they can hear you too. but i guess if there weren't a bunch of people standing around it i'd use it provided that it was clean

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#19 Old 02-24-2004, 11:38 PM
Banned

can someone spare some change for me to buy a ticket to london?

heck yeah i would use it!!
#20 Old 02-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I would love, love, love to use it! (Providing it was clean of course.)
#21 Old 02-25-2004, 12:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Sure. I think this would be a GREAT way to overcome any pee-shyness you might have.
#22 Old 02-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought everyone pisses on each other here at VB anyway!
#23 Old 02-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe. It would all depend on how badly I had to go at the time and how clean it was.
#24 Old 02-25-2004, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd use it because I would know that others can't see me. I mean if they could, the first thing they would do is to make eyecontact. I think you can tell very precisely when someone sees you, and when they can't and are just looking in a mirror.
#25 Old 02-25-2004, 02:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd use the loo!
#26 Old 02-25-2004, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

hm...that's a nice thought.

If I had to go, I'd use it.

I think it's even better than stopping near the road with your front to a tree and your back to the road.
#27 Old 02-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I would have sex in it before I'd use the bathroom in it.
#28 Old 02-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd use it even if the glass & mirrors went the other way!!!
#29 Old 02-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

I'd probably be one of them. I have a reputation amongst my friends for getting up to no good in toilets whilst I'm all alone, and I'd love to do it in this one. I can't be bothere dgoing to London, but if the toilet wants to come to Blackpool, then yes, that would be great, and you could expect me to use it for a multitude of purposes.
#30 Old 02-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

When hell freezes over and I skate on it! I have enough "performance anxiety" in a regular public restroom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page