Dean Koontz, the author (sort of related to veg*nism) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been reading Dean Koontz a long time. I love crazy sci-fi, weirdo stuff. Anyway, he has a lot of common themes in his books, all stuff he's obviously fond of, or fascinated with.....child prodigies, special needs kids, dogs and other animals (but mostly dogs), ect. He REALLY likes dogs. Every book has a pic of him in the back and his dog is in it with him. He sometimes dedicates the book to his dog, or writes a little message about his appreciation for his dog. More recently I've noticed another theme...he tends to knock veg*nism. Not in a ranting kind of way, more subtle than that. But usually a character has an issue with it. In the book I'm reading now, a guy shot a vegetarian dead right when he got done explaining that he expected to live a long time because he hadn't eaten any animal fat in 40 years. Normally this wouldn't bug me. It's actually quite ironic and humorous, if you are into that kind of humor.

What bugs me is that the main character is a huge dog lover and devotes her life and all of her money to rescuing golden retrievers. The conditions the dogs are kept in in the breeding farms is explained in great detail, and also the work that has to be done to get the animal back to an adoptable state. He obviously cares VERY much about this issue and it's showing through in his main character.

So why does he knock veg*nism....the farm animals are kept in conditions just as bad, if not worse.

Oh and I was hoping the main character loved animals enough to not eat meat, or I was at least hoping the food she ate wasn't mentioned at all, but sure enough, he describes the burger she gets from a fast food joint. WTF? It's starting to get irritating. I feel like emailing the guy and telling him he's a huge hypocrite. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

It's called cognitive dissonance. It's something I make a point to bring up in discussion whenever there's outrage over a dog or cat being beaten or set on fire. I usually remind people "Yeah it's horrible when a person mistreats an animal, and most of us pay people to do that every day." If they try to accuse me of pushing a vegan agenda I gently remind them they brought the subject up in the first place.

Tam! RUGH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page