Man Tattoos Leviticus 18:22 That Forbids Homosexuality On His Arm... (Funny story) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Man Tattoos Leviticus 18:22 That Forbids Homosexuality On His Arm, But Leviticus 19:28 Forbids Tattoos

Ha! This was the best laugh I've had all day. It always helps to actually read the book you're quoting

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

the link doesnt work for me

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 02-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Saw this the other day, gave me a big laugh, though also made me a little sad. I mean I know Christians that are against homosexuality, but I've never met someone so full of hatred for gay people that they'd define themselves by it and actually get a tattoo...

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#4 Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

nvm just worked

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#5 Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah because the Holiness codes were talking about committed long term relationships, and not trying to differentiate Israel from the surrounding nations by outlawing sacred prostitution and forbidding its conquering armies to sodomize the defeated soldiers.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#6 Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Again I will say...people are soooo smart.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#7 Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

yeah because the Holiness codes were talking about committed long term relationships, and not trying to differentiate Israel from the surrounding nations by outlawing sacred prostitution and forbidding its conquering armies to sodomize the defeated soldiers.

Something tells me that the guy really wasn't thinking about that.

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#8 Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

What exactly is your post getting at?

Quote:
#9 Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Apparently there are some seriously juicy deets in the Christian canonization that got left out...

Soldiers sodomizing other soldiers!?

www.animal-adoptions.org

#10 Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Apparently there are some seriously juicy deets in the Christian canonization that got left out...

Soldiers sodomizing other soldiers!?

I got linked to a site like that the other night...

#11 Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

I got linked to a site like that the other night...

Psst.....I was referring to The Bible, not Chat Roulette.

((haha, all the ads on the top are advertising 'Gay Military Singles!'))

www.animal-adoptions.org

#12 Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Homosexuality, in ancient times, was actually heterosexuals engaging in homosexual acts for the purposes of dishonoring, making men "passive", ie like a woman, using sexuality as a weapon against a defeated enemy. Sexuality, especially homosexuality, could not be distinguished from empire, the slave trade, and conquering armies coming into a region and dishonoring the men by making them into women, ie penetrating them in homosexual acts meant to humiliate and dishonor the opposing army. That is why in Timothy 1:10 the text mentions arsenakoi (men-bedder), the men who penetrate, malakoi (soft ones, the slaves being penetrated) and slave traders in a list of sinful people who need redemption. Slavery and homosexuality were wrapped up in the ancient world with rich people often using their young slaves to satisfy their urges. And, as today, when armies conquered a certain region they would engage in sodomizing the defeated armies in a delibrate attempt to strip the people of any last vestige of honor. And when you have no honor, you become a slave, property of your master, subject to all his desires. Within this context the people actually engaging in homosexual acts are heterosexuals using homosexual sex for the purposes of dominance, oppression, and dishonoring. Thus Paul says in Romans 1:26 that the Gentiles gave up what is natural for what is unnatural, and started sleeping with each other. If they were homosexuals, then it would not have been unnatural.

Thus it is clear that the men penetrating other men, which is referred to in this verse, are not two men in a committed, long term relationship with each other, but a relationship of exploitation where sexuality is being used violently to subjugate, to humiliate, to oppress a defeated enemy. And since this happened to the Jews a lot (they were always being defeated; by the Egyptians, Philistines, Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans), you can see why they were very interested in calling such exploitative homosexual activity an abomination.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#13 Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Homosexuality, in ancient times, was actually heterosexuals engaging in homosexual acts for the purposes of dishonoring, making men "passive", ie like a woman, using sexuality as a weapon against a defeated enemy. Sexuality, especially homosexuality, could not be distinguished from empire, the slave trade, and conquering armies coming into a region and dishonoring the men by making them into women, ie penetrating them in homosexual acts meant to humiliate and dishonor the opposing army. That is why in Timothy 1:10 the text mentions arsenakoi (men-bedder), the men who penetrate, malakoi (soft ones, the slaves being penetrated) and slave traders in a list of sinful people who need redemption. Slavery and homosexuality were wrapped up in the ancient world with rich people often using their young slaves to satisfy their urges. And, as today, when armies conquered a certain region they would engage in sodomizing the defeated armies in a delibrate attempt to strip the people of any last vestige of honor. And when you have no honor, you become a slave, property of your master, subject to all his desires. Within this context the people actually engaging in homosexual acts are heterosexuals using homosexual sex for the purposes of dominance, oppression, and dishonoring. Thus Paul says in Romans 1:26 that the Gentiles gave up what is natural for what is unnatural, and started sleeping with each other. If they were homosexuals, then it would not have been unnatural.

Thus it is clear that the men penetrating other men, which is referred to in this verse, are not two men in a committed, long term relationship with each other, but a relationship of exploitation where sexuality is being used violently to subjugate, to humiliate, to oppress a defeated enemy. And since this happened to the Jews a lot (they were always being defeated; by the Egyptians, Philistines, Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans), you can see why they were very interested in calling such exploitative homosexual activity an abomination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3rhQc666Sg

Seriously, I learned something today. Thanks!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#14 Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned

deleted

#15 Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:
#16 Old 02-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

LMAO! I love the comment "Well that's going to be awkward when he finally comes out of the closet and has to explain it to his boyfriend".
#17 Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I didn't know that, but it absolutely makes sense. Thanks.
#18 Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

LMAO! I love the comment "Well that's going to be awkward when he finally comes out of the closet and has to explain it to his boyfriend".

I think a lot of gay men would understand, if not have been through, a hostile pre-acknowledging-the-closet period. If they're really close, it would be not a big problem.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#19 Old 02-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've read this same opinion many times by various Jewish scholars/intellectuals.

This guy is a friggin' moron. But at least he has branded himself as such.
#20 Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

Saw this the other day, gave me a big laugh, though also made me a little sad. I mean I know Christians that are against homosexuality, but I've never met someone so full of hatred for gay people that they'd define themselves by it and actually get a tattoo...

It seems so unchristian to me to define yourself by hate instead of love...

ÂNothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul. - Oscar Wilde
#21 Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Rotoshave, I have heard something like that before (I am a Reform Jew - for us, gay rights are A OK) but you wrote it out very well.
I have always thought it odd the way these so-called 'Christian' types will go to Leviticus for the gay stuff (and you may also notice there is nothing about lesbians in there) but when it comes to other 'Old Testament' stuff, like, here, getting a tattoo, or eating pork or cheeseburgers, they're quite happy to ignore that.
#22 Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkwingDuckie View Post

It seems so unchristian to me to define yourself by hate instead of love...

Yet so many people, not just Christians, do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablaqueen View Post

Thanks Rotoshave, I have heard something like that before (I am a Reform Jew - for us, gay rights are A OK) but you wrote it out very well.
I have always thought it odd the way these so-called 'Christian' types will go to Leviticus for the gay stuff (and you may also notice there is nothing about lesbians in there) but when it comes to other 'Old Testament' stuff, like, here, getting a tattoo, or eating pork or cheeseburgers, they're quite happy to ignore that.

Yeah, I always thought that was weird too. But even Jewish people don't usually follow all 613 commandments.
#23 Old 02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post

Yeah, I always thought that was weird too. But even Jewish people don't usually follow all 613 commandments.

This guy tried: http://www.amazon.com/Year-Living-Bi.../dp/0743291484. Didn't really work out for them. And then, if your a Christian, Jesus comes along and interprets the law in an even stricter way. I haven't met one Christian that ever sold everything they own to give it to the poor. We all pick and choose what is important to us. Some people just seem to be a lot more inconsistent than others.

#24 Old 02-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Beginner

I don't see "I'm a gay-hating christian" when I look at his tattoo, all I see "DOUCHE BAG"

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
#25 Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This guy tried: http://www.amazon.com/Year-Living-Bi.../dp/0743291484. Didn't really work out for them. And then, if your a Christian, Jesus comes along and interprets the law in an even stricter way. I haven't met one Christian that ever sold everything they own to give it to the poor. We all pick and choose what is important to us. Some people just seem to be a lot more inconsistent than others.

No need to get defensive...wasn't even talking to or about you.
#26 Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post

No need to get defensive...wasn't even talking to or about you.

How was I being defensive? I'm just saying we'd be hypocrites if we say we follow everything our particular religion teaches us. That's impossible. We pick and choose, like this tattoo guy. I was actually agreeing with you.

#27 Old 02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMommaCow View Post

I don't see "I'm a gay-hating christian" when I look at his tattoo, all I see "DOUCHE BAG"

All I see is a ****ton of crappy tattoos.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#28 Old 02-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

I think a lot of gay men would understand, if not have been through, a hostile pre-acknowledging-the-closet period. If they're really close, it would be not a big problem.

Well that's good, because the more I think about it the more gay and full of self hatred he seems. I don't think a straight guy who is confident about his sexuality would need to get that tattooed on his arm you know?

I used to know one homophobe (he wasn't my friend, I just knew him ) who would say gay people were disgusting and it made him sick to think of a man doing that with another man, I'd fight with him about it for ages. About a year after that I heard he was experimenting with bisexuality and threesomes with men on a trip to Germany. You know what they say about those who protest too much...

Quote:

How was I being defensive? I'm just saying we'd be hypocrites if we say we follow everything our particular religion teaches us. That's impossible. We pick and choose, like this tattoo guy. I was actually agreeing with you.

That's what it sounded like to me. That's an amusing book by the way.

#29 Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hmm...I've never heard homosexuality explained this way. This is interesting...very insightful.
#30 Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That's what it sounded like to me. That's an amusing book by the way.

I thought so!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page