The Barefooters of VB - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

The seat of the soul is in the sole.

Barefooters are people who refuse to believe that the feet we are born with are somehow defective, needing coddling and cushioning. We recognize that, on the contrary, shoes are bad for our locomotive health. The incidence of flat-footedness among the nations of the shod, and the absence of this structural defect in unshod nations, speaks for itself. Shoes are bad.

Why shoes are bad:

1. It causes flat-footedness in adolescents (and adults).

2. It reduces your ability to receive information when the load being placed on your feet is too great, thus leading to injury.

3. It drastically changes your walking gait, preventing the tendon and calf muscles from providing propulsion and thus forcing other muscles in the knees, thigh muscles, hips and trunk to take up the slack. This causes anatomical reinforcement in these areas which then is the cause pain in the legs, backs, and shoulders as these regions are being over-strained by being put to use in ways they were not meant to be used.

4. It silences one of the bodies most sensitive tactile organs, the sole, preventing one from enjoying the wet, waxy texture of a dewy lawn; the brittle, sharp crunch of autumn leaves, or sink in the thick, fecund, loamy humus of a recently tilled garden.

I have personally experienced #3. When winter came, I was forced to start wearing shoes again. My legs, knees, back and shoulder had to readjust. The first week was torture. I was constantly reminded of the unnaturalness of the shod life by running cramps in my thighs and hips. Its just not natural. Your thighs, hips, back and shoulders aren't meant to accomplish work meant for your calves and arches.

Be healthy. Go barefoot.

With Spring coming, I thought I would start this thread as a place where other barefooters can come to talk, discuss barefoot topics and post stories about the pleasures of barefoot hiking. You needn't be a committed barefooter, anyone who enjoys keeping the shoes off and letting their feet breathe, whether just in the house or during the occasional walk in the park, is welcome.

For those who are committed barefooters, do you go barefoot in businesses, such as grocery stores, public buildings, schools, etc? What kind of reaction do you get? What do you do during winter? If you do use shoes during winter, when do you usually start going barefoot again? How thick is your sole leather? How long have you been living life day to day habitually barefoot?

Looking forward to meeting other barefooters!

I will end this post with these beautiful words from Barbara Holland:
Quote:
Maybe the whole world secretly understands that free feet produce a different, more philosophical, relaxed, and unbusinesslike mindset. Without shoes, our ambitions would fade away, wolfish trade practices seem too much trouble, international frictions look foolish. Armies would curl up to take a nap. Nobody would get any serious work done and the world would go straight to hell.

Considered in this light, going barefoot is almost as much a vice as a pleasure. Subversive. Counterproductive, like smoking pot. Which isn't likely to stop us two out of five who revel in it.

Yes, Mother, some of the time our feet are cold. And yes, we do run the risk of stepping on bits of broken glass in the house and, outside, bees in the clover. As they say in the Pentagon, it's an acceptable risk. Highly acceptable.

http://www.barefooters.org/key-works/endangered.html

Some resources:

The Barefoot Bible: http://www.bhthom.org/hikertxt.htm
Society for Barefoot Living: http://www.barefooters.org/

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

The only reason I wear shoes in general (besides the fact that heels are adorable) is because it's illegal to go barefoot everywhere.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#3 Old 02-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

#4 Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Impeach the gangster

I'm typing this with my toes!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 02-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Attachment 14568

Lol.... is that an affirmation or a condemnation?

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#6 Old 02-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually have some martial arts shoes that are so thin soled that it's like being barefoot without the fear of cutting my foot on broken glass (high probabilty here!)
I do love the feeling of bare feet in warm grass though. So screw you Rotoshave, you've just exacerbated my recent cravings for camping

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#7 Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

So screw you Rotoshave, you've just exacerbated my recent cravings for camping

I'm sorry!

#8 Old 02-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I actually have some martial arts shoes that are so thin soled that it's like being barefoot without the fear of cutting my foot on broken glass (high probabilty here!)

because of your thread I gave in and ordered some earlier today : p

But yeah I WISH i could be barefoot all the time. I appreciate some big winter boots when its cold, but my feet need to be freee! I have tried walking barefoot outside before and didnt last long. its one thing going to the shop opposite my house or round the back, but walking on tarmac gravel etc can get sore quickly.

I hate when people say to me "you wear sandals so much, arent you scared your feet will get really wide?". Uuuuuh ever figured feet are MEANT to be that shape?

roll on summer so the sandals can come out
#9 Old 02-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Haha, they're really comfortable, enjoy them when they arrive. It feels like I'm wearing nothing, but then again I'm used to steel toecapped vegan 'Doc Martens,' so the weight difference is considerable!

Not big on sandals though, I find them uncomfortable to wear D:

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#10 Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Haha, they're really comfortable, enjoy them when they arrive. It feels like I'm wearing nothing, but then again I'm used to steel toecapped vegan 'Doc Martens,' so the weight difference is considerable!

Not big on sandals though, I find them uncomfortable to wear D:

What are they made of? are they light shoes?

I'm thinking about getting a pair of these for winter:

#11 Old 02-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

What are they made of? are they light shoes?

The martial arts shoes are made from canvas and soft rubber. Very lightweight.

I've heard really good things about those foot shoes!

#12 Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Walking barefoot is fine and all, until you walk into the wrong pile of dirt and get hookworm.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#13 Old 02-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Ira
Banned

i am barefoot at home. walking barefoot outside right now would freeze my toes off and make me sick
#14 Old 02-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I have foot problems and I don't like my feet to be dirty so I wear house shoes or flip flops at home. I used to go barefoot a lot but rarely do these days and I have a lot less foot, leg, and back pain because of it. YMMV.
#15 Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Banned

deleted

#16 Old 02-21-2011, 04:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't do it. I need something on my feet at all times. I like my feet covered. I wear socks/slippers or socks/shoes around the house and always shoes when I'm outside. I don't even like taking off my shoes at other people's houses. Sometimes I'll wear flip flops around the house during the summer but only on rare occasions. I could never walk around in public places without shoes or even outside. I wouldn't want my feet to get dirty or to step in something nasty or harmful.
#17 Old 02-21-2011, 05:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Walking barefoot is fine and all, until you walk into the wrong pile of dirt and get hookworm.

Maybe if you live in Florida or southern Cali; but here those worms can't survive the winter freeze.

#18 Old 02-21-2011, 06:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm always barefoot (but not pregnant) at home, but outside my house, there are things like extreme heat on the concrete pavements and dirt on the ground to consider before I go skipping around with naked tooties.

m8itcanw8.com
#19 Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

hhhmmmm. i wear flops all the time (florida) but i don't think i'd walk around barefoot outside our house. i don't like dirty feet or stepping in other peoples spit, etc.

Atame.
#20 Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Or step on that broken glass hidden in the grass. Tetanus shot anyone?
#21 Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't like cut up feet. But I do prefer to be barefoot in nicer weather. When I was a kid I'd always play cops and robbers and stuff barefoot, I found running barefoot gave me more traction, and being in nice suburbs made it less dangerous. Funny thing is I hate flip flops, I like sneakers and boots, or nothing. I think being barefoot is awesome but there's so many situations when you need footwear for protection. I am a sock lover though.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#22 Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnip View Post

Or step on that broken glass hidden in the grass. Tetanus shot anyone?

Been there, done that! Also stepped on a tack in high grass. Ouch. I have enough tetanus immunity to last me a few more centuries.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#23 Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Ha ha me too, wandering around barefoot in the dark at a festival - bad idea. Broken bottle to the foot - not fun.
#24 Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Honestly in all my barefoot outings I've never had a problem with glass, or metal. Thorns get me sometimes. But when I get glass in my foot I am indoors.

#25 Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Count me in as another one who lives in an area with ridiculously cold winters, and who doesn't care to step on sharp pointy things. I had a truly evil bush in my yard and once stepped on one of its thorns which had broken off when I was in my bare feet; I still go barefoot in my house and (usually) in my yard though.

I also have ugly toes.

I might want to try those martial arts shoes or those foot gloves, though.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#26 Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm also deathly allergic to wasps and have stepped on them before (and been stung) when walking barefoot through grass. So there's another reason I don't go barefoot.
#27 Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Banned

deleted
#28 Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

Funny thing is I hate flip flops, I like sneakers and boots, or nothing. . I am a sock lover though.

I hate flip flops and sandals also. I hate that stupid "thong" thing on flip flops. It's so painful and annoying to have something between my toes. I love my socks and sneakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I also have ugly toes.

IMO, all toes are ugly! There's no such thing as pretty toes or feet. All feet are funky, freaky and icky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post

I'm also deathly allergic to wasps and have stepped on them before (and been stung) when walking barefoot through grass. So there's another reason I don't go barefoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

The summer I walked around barefoot, I did step on a bee while walking through some grass. That was when I found out that I am not allergic to bee stings, but I was very concerned for awhile. That is not an experience I want to repeat.

^This has happened to me also when I was a kid. I also stepped on a snake barefoot before when I was younger. My mom should've made me wear shoes
#29 Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I have also trodden on snails and slugs before. Oh and dog poo.

I think the lesson here is don't go barefoot in the dark.
#30 Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM

You're very unlikely to get hookworm if you're in the US.

I love being barefoot, I run barefoot pretty often, but I don't like being going shoeless in the grass where I can't see what I'm stepping on!

Oh, for the winter, I wear Feelmax Neisa. Not the prettiest looking shoe, but they sure are comfortable! Pretty much like wearing a thick sock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page