New Sayings - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

After going vegan, I find that I don't like to use common phrases involving meat, so I came up with some on my own. Does anyone else do this? And please, if you like them feel free to use them.

Thanksgiving is called "Turkey Day," so I call it "Squash Day."
Quitting something suddenly is called "Quitting Cold Turkey," so I call it "Quitting Cold Tofu."
A bodybuilder is called a "Meat-Head," so a vegan bodybuilder should be called a "Bean-Head."

And I just say "Holy Carp" instead of "Holy Crap," which makes me smile, lol

Look How EASY it is to be Vegan: http://dailyveganeats.tumblr.com (Tumblr blog); http://twitter.com/dailyveganeats (by-the-meal Tweets!)
Why Vegans Shouldn't Worry About (and how to add in more)...
Protein: http://tinyurl.com/2uquvh7, Iron: http://tinyurl.com/3anud79, Calcium:...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

As someone that loves linguistic 'purity' gotta say I love this. I was trying to describe something the other day and 'meaty' was the only word that came to mind, so if anyone has an alternative, because I was trying to use it in a positive sense, and it didn't sit right with me.

I also try not to use gendered/speciesist insults (*****) or genital-related insults because I think they demean sex (although I will use genital swear words to describe genitals, just not as demeaning words, reclamation!). Admittedly my swearing vocabularly is a little limited by normal standards, but the scatalogical language generally conveys frustration or anger well enough :P

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#3 Old 01-29-2011, 09:39 PM

Holy carp makes me smile, too. I can't say that I have thought of any alternatives, but I'd like to start using the ones you have mentioned.

I suppose an alternative to "meaty" could be "grainy" or "beany"

~*eyebright*~

"Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty." ~ Albert Einstein
#4 Old 01-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebright View Post

Holy carp makes me smile, too. I can't say that I have thought of any alternatives, but I'd like to start using the ones you have mentioned.

I suppose an alternative to "meaty" could be "grainy" or "beany"

Considering it was a fart I was rather proud of... soy-y would have been the most accurate...

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#5 Old 01-29-2011, 10:23 PM

lol, that works too.

*fart sound* Hmmm, beany.

~*eyebright*~

"Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty." ~ Albert Einstein
#6 Old 01-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

As someone that loves linguistic 'purity' gotta say I love this. I was trying to describe something the other day and 'meaty' was the only word that came to mind, so if anyone has an alternative, because I was trying to use it in a positive sense, and it didn't sit right with me.

I like "husky," "toothy," or "dense." If you're looking for a veggie-related work, try "crimini-y." That's just fun to say, too.

Quote:
Admittedly my swearing vocabularly is a little limited by normal standards, but the scatalogical language generally conveys frustration or anger well enough :P

I actually swear profusely but am trying to limit it because people seem put off by it.

Look How EASY it is to be Vegan: http://dailyveganeats.tumblr.com (Tumblr blog); http://twitter.com/dailyveganeats (by-the-meal Tweets!)
Why Vegans Shouldn't Worry About (and how to add in more)...
Protein: http://tinyurl.com/2uquvh7, Iron: http://tinyurl.com/3anud79, Calcium:...
#7 Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What were you trying to say? Describing the quality of flavor? How it makes you feel? The texture? Unctuous? Hearty? Earthy? Savory and rich? Substantial? Filling? Toothsome?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#8 Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan_foodie View Post

I actually swear profusely but am trying to limit it because people seem put off by it.

****'em.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks
#9 Old 01-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Considering it was a fart I was rather proud of... soy-y would have been the most accurate...

You mean 'sorry', right?

I'd just go with 'ripe' or 'foul' in such an instance.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#10 Old 01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

You mean 'sorry', right?

I'd just go with 'ripe' or 'foul' in such an instance.

I dunno, it certainly wasn't foul. Ripe, or well-aged...

#11 Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually say "there's more than one way to peel a carrot" instead of skin a cat and I say I'm quitting things "Cold Tofurky"

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#12 Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 AM

I like well-aged. Very appropriate.

~*eyebright*~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page