Any Strange Habits? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Have any strange habits? Doesn't have to be something that would land you on an episode of My Strange Addiction, just something the rest of us might find interesting.

I can't think of anything too odd. I do get a little OCD about certain things (neat freak - labels have to face the same way, etc.) when I'm stressed but that's about it.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

At work I always get up at 7:30am to get my morning coffee. I also get up at 8:00am to get my breakfast. I can't eat my orange until I've cleaned my oatmeal bowl; that's a RULE. I also go to the bathroom while my oatmeal is cooking. I MUST.

And while my morning coffee is brewing, I look around the break room and re-stock what needs to be re-stocked. It's not my job to do that, but it gives me something to occupy my time while my coffee is brewing.

When I get one of those little bags of sugar-free Jelly Bellies, I always eat the cinnamon and licorice ones (together) first. Not because I like them, but because I HATE them.
#3 Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I have been asked in many record stores for advice because I have the habit of alphabetising the CDs that are out of place...

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#4 Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a few habits that other people seem to consider a bit strange, but none that are currently causing me any issues.

m8itcanw8.com
#5 Old 01-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I mumble to myself when I'm particularly stressed out.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#6 Old 01-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Banned

deleted

#7 Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Every once in a while I catch myself straightening store shelves. Not extensively, but if one thing is in the wrong place, but near where it is supposed to be, I'll just put it in the correct spot.

As somebody who works in retail: I love you!

I'm sure I have weird habits, but I can't think of any right now.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#8 Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I have many strange/weird/odd habits. I have anxiety, some ocd, and am somewhat agoraphobic so yeah lots of unusual habits/rituals/schedules/routines are a part of my daily life.
#9 Old 01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Kind of like rabbitluvr but with grocery stores, I straighten the food because I worked in a grocery store for 4 years.
I'm scared of the dark, as in I NEED to put a light on. My boyfriend laughes everytime I walk through his hallway because I click the light on even in the day because his house is very dark.
And when I put mascara and blush on I count a random number of swipes, and have to do the same number on the other eye/cheek.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#10 Old 01-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Impeach the gangster

My dog and I have a daily ritual, wherein I inspect inside her ears for monsters.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#11 Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm absolutely compulsive about my bra and underwear matching.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#12 Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't wear white socks. that's all i can think of for now
#13 Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Give peas a chance

I work from home and I can't start work unless the place is clean. I can have a pile of high paying work that is on my desk and needs attention, but I can't get started because the grout on the floor behind the toilet needs cleaning and is really bothering me.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#14 Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm just a little ocd about my numbers 3 and 9.
and just on this one thing: i have to have the volume on my tv always only on any #'s that ultimately equals either 3 or 9. (or 6, once the volume gets up there!)
e.g. 9 or 12 or 18 or 21 or 27 or 30 or 33 or 36 or 39 and so on and so forth...
funnily enough, i've never shared this with anyone IRL and never would because i've adjusted volumes with folks around and no one even notices!

carpe vegiem
#15 Old 01-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiSis View Post

i'm just a little ocd about my numbers 3 and 9.
and just on this one thing: i have to have the volume on my tv always only on any #'s that ultimately equals either 3 or 9. (or 6, once the volume gets up there!)
e.g. 9 or 12 or 18 or 21 or 27 or 30 or 33 or 36 or 39 and so on and so forth...
funnily enough, i've never shared this with anyone IRL and never would because i've adjusted volumes with folks around and no one even notices!

I have a set few numbers I am ok with too, though I don't know if it has any mathematical rule to it, but it has to be; 5, 9, 12, 15, 18...

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#16 Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post

I have a set few numbers I am ok with too, though I don't know if it has any mathematical rule to it, but it has to be; 5, 9, 12, 15, 18...

yay! i'm not the only one.
p.s. i love your turtle avatar.

carpe vegiem
#17 Old 01-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Have any strange habits? Doesn't have to be something that would land you on an episode of My Strange Addiction, just something the rest of us might find interesting.

I can't think of anything too odd. I do get a little OCD about certain things (neat freak - labels have to face the same way, etc.) when I'm stressed but that's about it.

I am that way about labels on everything facing the front and the same way...I have to have mine that way always and I have annoyed my family and friends about this for years and have re-arranged their jars and can cabinets so that they are all facing the same way...

I hate clutter....I want everything in its right place....I didnt used to be this way used to be massive slobby when I was teenager and left everything everywhere and a total mess but no more....

on shelves I want everything pushed back nothing hanging off.....I just dont like that at all....my books have to be perfectly pushed back....

my bed has to be made neatly everyday....or I just dont function right....I just dont like starting my day without a nice & neatly made bed.....I cant meditate or function right if I know my bed is a mess.

I know theres more....but cant recall them now...

peace, love and sarcasm

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#18 Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

My dog and I have a daily ritual, wherein I inspect inside her ears for monsters.

I don't think that's strange; seems like a wise precaution to me.

If I get seconds of something I'm eating, I use a clean plate or bowl and clean silverware. (Only at home though - I don't expect anyone else to do extra dishes for me.)

I have many other idiosyncrasies, but most people wouldn't notice them.
#19 Old 01-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I take great pleasure in emptying the lint tray from the dryer. I suppose it's not exactly a habit because I would still empty the lint tray if I didn't enjoy it but it is fairly strange.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#20 Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM
mlp
Banned

I lie to sniff dogs' feet. They smell wonderful, in a stinky sort of way.
#21 Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

I take great pleasure in emptying the lint tray from the dryer. I suppose it's not exactly a habit because I would still empty the lint tray if I didn't enjoy it but it is fairly strange.

I can appreciate this one. Just something... good about it.

#22 Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Ankle Biter

I have to have the kitchen sink completely clean before I go to bed, because if there's any wet, slimy food remnants in it in the morning, it makes me queasy.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#23 Old 01-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to keep things in particular places. I used to be really bad about losing things as a kid, and this is my copying mechanism, which has turned me a little bit OCD.

For instance, I always know where my keys are, because there are only 3 places they will EVER be - in the ignition of my car, on the front right corner of my dresser, or in my from left pants/shorts pocket. When I stay at a hotel, I always have to pick a spot when I first arrive to be my designated place to put down my keys, wallet, cell phone, etc when they aren't in my pockets. Usually that spot is the front corner of the hotel room's desk, either on the left or right side of the desk, depending on which is closer to the center of the room. And each item has particular pockets where I always carry them - keys in front left, cell in front right, and wallet in back right. Loose change always goes in the front left with the keys, but I usually empty my pockets of change as soon as possible - I have change bins on my desk at work and my dresser at home for accumulating coins.

Another example is that when I load my dishwasher, I always group the silverware together by type in the silverware holder. So all my forks are in one spot, the big spoons are together, the little spoons are together, etc.

And my apartment always looks tidy at first glance, even though I don't clean often enough, just because I always put things in their place. I don't have papers all over the place - they're all in one stack. The same with my desk at work, actually. The stack of papers closest to my computer at the office is my hot "to do" stack, then a little further away is a less hot "to do" stack, etc.

I really don't think I'm OCD, though. I do this stuff out of habit, to help my mind keep track of things, but if something's out of place, I don't really freak about it and rush to fix it.

--Fromper
#24 Old 01-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to fidget with something when I'm reading to read effectively. Usually this means I'm twirling a strand of my hair.

I make lists. All the time. I am most effective when I have made a good list.

I feel guilty if I drive to the grocery store. I usually walk, unless the weather is really, really terrible. Sometimes the fact that my default is to walk confuses people, and I am equally confused if somebody wants to drive someplace close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Me too! I'm so angry if it's clean when I put my stuff in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Another example is that when I load my dishwasher, I always group the silverware together by type in the silverware holder. So all my forks are in one spot, the big spoons are together, the little spoons are together, etc.

Brilliant idea!
#25 Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

After I load my dishwasher, I like to switch it on. Brilliant! Attachment 14341
LL

m8itcanw8.com
#26 Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

^Why didn't I think of that, Nishani? That will make life so much easier!
#27 Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

--Fromper

I always do the opposite, to keep like items from fitting snugly together, while being cleaned. I even put some upside down.
#28 Old 01-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I crack my fingers, knuckles, and toes. It really bothers people, but it doesn't hurt...it feels good! All my fingers are still intact!!

I'm an anxious person and tend to fiddle with rings, scarves or any jewelry I happen to be wearing at the time. I fidget a lot too.

School related: for some courses, I re-write/organize the notes I took during lecture in a separate, pristine notebook. I use a ruler to make bullet points or any kind of lines. Specific words of interest are color-coded as well.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#29 Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I have to have the kitchen sink completely clean before I go to bed, because if there's any wet, slimy food remnants in it in the morning, it makes me queasy.

I always have to have my kitchen sink completely clean no matter what. As soon as I'm done with a cooking utensil, bowl, plate, etc it gets washed asap. There is no "hanging out in the sink". And I have to do my own dishes. Nobody else is allowed to wash them. I blame this on my family because their idea of "washing" dishes is quickly running filthy dishes under the faucet for a few seconds. It's totally gross because most of the time there is still residue left over from food.
#30 Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I always do the opposite, to keep like items from fitting snugly together, while being cleaned. I even put some upside down.

I make sure to place them at weird angles from each other, so they don't "stack". That way, the dishwasher can still clean them thoroughly. And when I pull them out of the dishwasher, it's quicker to put stuff away in the silverware drawer, since they're already grouped by type.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page