Four Students Kicked Out of Nursing School After Posing for Pictures with a Placenta - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 01-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
JLRodgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,819
Considering different things I have found out about so-called medical "professionals"--it would seem that that type of behavior is not only common (at least in private), but it's no where near anything worth getting worked up over. I know a few doctors that should be brought up on rape charges, all because of "treatments" and "examinations" they performed on women in the ER (ranging from unneeded nude exams, to other much worse things)--sadly no one can say anything because they either overheard it, or they work there and know they'll be fired if they say anything (yep, the hospital allows, condones and all-but encourages it, at least at one time).
JLRodgers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 01-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Scorpius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pluto (the planet)
Posts: 6,741
Nursing students are so dumb.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"


www.animal-adoptions.org

Scorpius is offline  
#33 Old 01-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rotoshave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,744
Silly people posting things on facebook that they shouldn't. Especially now that facebook isn't just limited to colleges anymore.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Rotoshave is offline  
#34 Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Angelik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

That's right! That is one of the very first things they have to do, so these people knowingly violated the agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

Seriously. I honestly think these people deserved it. My husband and sister-in-law are in the health care field and I mentioned this to them. They both thought it was incredibly stupid and said the girls should have known better.

Yeah, you do have to sign agreements that you're not going to compromise anyone's privacy by taking pictures, talking about patients, etc. The fact that these idiots took pictures at a hospital of a placenta (that obviously belong to someone) and posted it on facebook is a clear violation. Identifying factors such as the town and hospital it was taken at could compromise someones privacy. I hope they learned their lesson.

At my old job you weren't even supposed to take pictures of anything or anyone in the facility or on grounds, it was a federal hospital. At my current job our administration routinely states that we are not to take pictures (even of ourselves) around the hospital logo.

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
Angelik is offline  
#35 Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Ira
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,385
whose privacy exactly was violated by those placenta pictures? can one figure out by looking at it to whom it belonged at first?
Ira is offline  
#36 Old 01-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Angelik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 482
People from that location possibly could. Even if not, they still violated their agreement by taking pictures and posting them.

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
Angelik is offline  
#37 Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,551
their stupid behaviour bought the schools reputation and the work they're doing into disrepute. i doubt i'd feel confident about giving my parents organs to medical science if i thought it likely that a pile of idiot students were gonna use them to pose with on facebook while i was attending their funeral. i doubt i'd send my kids to a school thats management condoned them taking smiling snapshots of themselves with bodyparts and putting them up on a social networking site for everyone and his uncle to peer at and make flippant comments about, either.

......plus the medical centres reputation probably suffered a blow alongside it- they may well lose referrals/patient confidence as a result of this- cos i bet local people don't want naked pictures of them on an operating table surrounded by students holding scalpels, or of their hemaroids getting banded with a cheesy smiled thumbs up- kid peeking into the frame, showing up on facebook. i bet that possibility will come into their minds, and it'll stick in their heads after they've seen a picture of a family friends kid posing with bodyparts on facebook or been told about it by a third party whose friends sons cousin goes to church with so and so from the picture.

the school may lose funding or struggle to get partner organisations to work with them in future if their students level of tact, respect and behaviour is called into question, which is a bit of a blow for them- that'd affect their standing in the medical community and their status as an institution, and those factors influence peoples career paths "what school did you go to? where are you working now? - oh! the prestigious school of facebook snapshottery? lolz!".

doing something like that makes them look immature and disrespectful. they asked for permission, didn't get it, and so did it anyway. that makes them a safety risk- what other stupid things are they gonna do without permission? "sir, sir! can we huff the nitrous after the patient has gone to recovery?"... "oh, you girls!" and then someone falls off a chair, gets a head injury (maybe someone takes a picture of that and puts it on facebook too?!) .... the school gets sued by their parents.... blah blah blah.

basically those kids behaviour was a liability. once those images are out of the photographers hands they're out of their control. they could end up labelled "hai! in kansas i can has plazenterburger?" on some crappy lolcat website, or made into an animated youtube clip with a hamsterdance backing track and a little sombrero and cigar on the placenta- that goes viral, or who knows what else. a lot of people could get very upset, withdraw funding, cancel medical appointments, clog up phonelines and crash website 'contact us' stuff with their concerns, or sue.... i'm not suprised they got the boot.
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#38 Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
I have a placenta in my freezer.... really.
danakscully64 is offline  
#39 Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular
 
fadeaway1289's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I have a placenta in my freezer.... really.

Oh god...please, please don't let me see that in the food porn section. You always have delicious looking food porn pics but I'm really hoping that the placenta doesn't make it's way in there
fadeaway1289 is offline  
#40 Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I have a placenta in my freezer.... really.

I just knew all those years of watching the X-Files would take their toll on you.
Digger is offline  
#41 Old 01-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Oh god...please, please don't let me see that in the food porn section. You always have delicious looking food porn pics but I'm really hoping that the placenta doesn't make it's way in there

No, it's going to be buried at some point, it's good for plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I just knew all those years of watching the X-Files would take their toll on you.

It's not mine, I opened the freezer when I came home from Florida, saw a red blob, knew exactly what it was
danakscully64 is offline  
#42 Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
fadeaway1289's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

No, it's going to be buried at some point, it's good for plants.



It's not mine, I opened the freezer when I came home from Florida, saw a red blob, knew exactly what it was

Can I ask why it's been frozen? I never really understood why people keep them.
fadeaway1289 is offline  
#43 Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Can I ask why it's been frozen? I never really understood why people keep them.

My sister wants to bury it, it's full of nutrients and will make a garden flourish. Here's a page on placenta fruit trees.
danakscully64 is offline  
#44 Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Angelik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneticallymodified View Post

their stupid behaviour bought the schools reputation and the work they're doing into disrepute. i doubt i'd feel confident about giving my parents organs to medical science if i thought it likely that a pile of idiot students were gonna use them to pose with on facebook while i was attending their funeral. i doubt i'd send my kids to a school thats management condoned them taking smiling snapshots of themselves with bodyparts and putting them up on a social networking site for everyone and his uncle to peer at and make flippant comments about, either.

......plus the medical centres reputation probably suffered a blow alongside it- they may well lose referrals/patient confidence as a result of this- cos i bet local people don't want naked pictures of them on an operating table surrounded by students holding scalpels, or of their hemaroids getting banded with a cheesy smiled thumbs up- kid peeking into the frame, showing up on facebook. i bet that possibility will come into their minds, and it'll stick in their heads after they've seen a picture of a family friends kid posing with bodyparts on facebook or been told about it by a third party whose friends sons cousin goes to church with so and so from the picture.

the school may lose funding or struggle to get partner organisations to work with them in future if their students level of tact, respect and behaviour is called into question, which is a bit of a blow for them- that'd affect their standing in the medical community and their status as an institution, and those factors influence peoples career paths "what school did you go to? where are you working now? - oh! the prestigious school of facebook snapshottery? lolz!".

doing something like that makes them look immature and disrespectful. they asked for permission, didn't get it, and so did it anyway. that makes them a safety risk- what other stupid things are they gonna do without permission? "sir, sir! can we huff the nitrous after the patient has gone to recovery?"... "oh, you girls!" and then someone falls off a chair, gets a head injury (maybe someone takes a picture of that and puts it on facebook too?!) .... the school gets sued by their parents.... blah blah blah.

basically those kids behaviour was a liability. once those images are out of the photographers hands they're out of their control. they could end up labelled "hai! in kansas i can has plazenterburger?" on some crappy lolcat website, or made into an animated youtube clip with a hamsterdance backing track and a little sombrero and cigar on the placenta- that goes viral, or who knows what else. a lot of people could get very upset, withdraw funding, cancel medical appointments, clog up phonelines and crash website 'contact us' stuff with their concerns, or sue.... i'm not suprised they got the boot.

Jen, you always have such a great way of putting things out there! All of this is QFT and you say it in a way that anyone can understand, and have a great laugh, I love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I have a placenta in my freezer.... really.

Hey, if you want to take a pic of yourself wearing it as a hat, and post it on FB, go right ahead. Your house, your property! Unless of course the owner says no. Please though, find a way to put it in a spoiler so I don't gag...

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
Angelik is offline  
#45 Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelik View Post

Hey, if you want to take a pic of yourself wearing it as a hat, and post it on FB, go right ahead.

But are placenta hats in fashion right now?
Digger is offline  
#46 Old 01-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
saxyphonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

But are placenta hats in fashion right now?

Placenta: it's the new tin foil!

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
saxyphonist is offline  
#47 Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Angelik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

But are placenta hats in fashion right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Placenta: it's the new tin foil!

That's right! If they're not popular now, we'll make them be. If people can wear dead animals on their bodies, we'll answer with placenta hats.

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
Angelik is offline  
#48 Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
danakscully64 is offline  
#49 Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Beanitarian
 
imagineaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

My sister wants to bury it, it's full of nutrients and will make a garden flourish. Here's a page on placenta fruit trees.

O.M.G. (Stop reading here if you gross out easily. Or even not so easily.)
Quote:
How to Plant a Placenta Fruit Tree

...Bury it Deep: There's a reason a placenta nourishes your baby, and can feed a fruit tree—and that's because it is chock full of vital nutrients. Animals like nutrients too, so make sure you bury the thing deep. You might even want to put some mesh or other barrier above ground to prevent digging, though I haven't seen any untoward activity yet.

So could a vegan eat fruit from a placenta-fed fruit tree? :P

Beanitarian.
imagineaa is offline  
#50 Old 01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 15,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

O.M.G. (Stop reading here if you gross out easily. Or even not so easily.)


So could a vegan eat fruit from a placenta-fed fruit tree? :P

If the placenta was given willingly, I don't think it's any different than using feces/manure as fertilizer.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Skylark is offline  
#51 Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Nishani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,577
I'm glad they got kicked out. With their attitude they wouldn't have lasted in the profession anyway.

m8itcanw8.com
Nishani is offline  
#52 Old 01-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
"there should be a standard expectation that body parts (not attached to your own body or a, um, close friend's body) are not play things."

A placenta, is however, once the baby is born, not really clearly defined as belonging to the category body part, verses bodily waste. It is programmed to die, and be expelled, once the attached baby is born. Thus making it waste. However if it is ripped out early, while the baby is still alive, then it would be a body part - although even then it is not clear whose body part is is, not clear whether it would be a body part of the mother, or a body part of the baby.

Is a snake skin, a snake's body part? If still on the snake, yes. If shed by the snake (as they are every so often, as the snake grows), then no. Is a baby tooth a body part. If still in the baby, yes. If naturally shed by the baby - perhaps not - there is no clear definition.
soilman is offline  
#53 Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Ira
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

I'm glad they got kicked out. With their attitude they wouldn't have lasted in the profession anyway.

lol, really? how come? do doctors have no humor and all insert a stick up their ass?
Ira is offline  
#54 Old 01-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
roneet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 469
Getting kicked out of school for this does seem too harsh to me. It's not like they kicked the placenta around or something. The placenta is going into the trash anyways (I assume so).
roneet is offline  
#55 Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Crap, I keep forgetting to take my placenta picture!
danakscully64 is offline  
#56 Old 01-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Crap, I keep forgetting to take my placenta picture!

Now that's something you don't hear everyday.
Digger is offline  
#57 Old 01-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Nishani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

lol, really? how come? do doctors have no humor and all insert a stick up their ass?

How come they won't last? Because I work in the medical profession and I've seen plenty of people drop out of training or get into trouble for doing unprofessional things just like this. This is serious stuff in nursing, you HAVE to develop a sense of responsibity for your actions because you WILL be held legally accountable for them. Students who post pics of placentas or anything similar on fakebook during their training are showing the early signs that they will probably have trouble upholding the patient confidentiality principle during their career and because of that they will be considered unsuitable candidates to be issued a license to practice nursing.

And BTW, maintaining a professional attitude towards your work (at least when you are in the public domain) doesn't mean that you generally have a stick up your arse either. If anyone thinks that it does, I'd have to question their level of maturity.

m8itcanw8.com
Nishani is offline  
#58 Old 01-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Now that's something you don't hear everyday.

danakscully64 is offline  
#59 Old 01-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

How come they won't last? Because I work in the medical profession and I've seen plenty of people drop out of training or get into trouble for doing unprofessional things just like this. This is serious stuff in nursing, you HAVE to develop a sense of responsibity for your actions because you WILL be held legally accountable for them. Students who post pics of placentas or anything similar on fakebook during their training are showing the early signs that they will probably have trouble upholding the patient confidentiality principle during their career and because of that they will be considered unsuitable candidates to be issued a license to practice nursing.

And BTW, maintaining a professional attitude towards your work (at least when you are in the public domain) doesn't mean that you generally have a stick up your arse either. If anyone thinks that it does, I'd have to question their level of maturity.



If you want to work in health care, growth the **** up first. Confidentiality and respect for people and/or their body parts matter.
Wolfie is offline  
#60 Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AddieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post



If you want to work in health care, growth the **** up first. Confidentiality and respect for people and/or their body parts matter.

+10000000
AddieB is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off