Facebook Cartoon Character Campaign Brings Child Abuse To An End - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Banned

For those who aren't aware, there is a current meme challenging people to change their facebook profile picture to a cartoon character in order to "raise awareness for child abuse". People have been questioning the efficacy of this move over, you know, actually donating to a child abuse charity or doing something productive to end child abuse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

A win for the slacktivists!

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#3 Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Interferes with my Pokémon Profile Picture Month.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#4 Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I really like the cartoon character theme. It's made me happy to reminisce about my childhood and Ive had some fun seeing what other people's favourite cartoons were. I also donated to the NSPCC and encouraged my Facebook friends to do the same.

Some people will pick holes in anything, I guess.

Here are the links if you want to get people donating:
http://www.justgiving.com/fbcartoon
https://www.nspcc.org.uk/donate/dona..._wdh71776.html
Its a lot more productive than just ridiculing what other people are doing and spoiling their fun.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#5 Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Ack yea I know it's symbolic but really it does nothing, mostly unfortunately, it's just people who normally don't care trying to show they care.
It's like the celebrities not tweeting to ned child abuse, yes such a sacrifice and good thing your doing

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#6 Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

Ack yea I know it's symbolic but really it does nothing, mostly unfortunately, it's just people who normally don't care trying to show they care.
It's like the celebrities not tweeting to ned child abuse, yes such a sacrifice and good thing your doing

Exactly. I feel it is making light of a serious issue.

#7 Old 12-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Banned

Just don't get me started on this.

You know, when I was a child, it would have made so much difference if I'd know that people had been putting cartoon characters as their profile picture on a social network site. I mean, it's obviously done so much!
#8 Old 12-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I kind of went postal on some people on FB about this. I'm a social worker working in foster care prevention. I'm overworked, underpaid, and treated like dirt. When people ask me about what I do and I tell them they make faces or say things like "that sounds awful." Yea, it is, and how about a "thanks for having the balls to do a vital job that I don't have the balls to do." Nah, I'll just change my FB picture.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

Its a lot more productive than just ridiculing what other people are doing and spoiling their fun.

Yeah. Because child abuse is just so much fun.

#10 Old 12-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I kind of went postal on some people on FB about this. I'm a social worker working in foster care prevention. I'm overworked, underpaid, and treated like dirt. When people ask me about what I do and I tell them they make faces or say things like "that sounds awful." Yea, it is, and how about a "thanks for having the balls to do a vital job that I don't have the balls to do." Nah, I'll just change my FB picture.

well i want to say thank you. so thank you for doing what you do, i know i couldnt cope doing it.

I just got into a massive arguement on another forum about this. To me, it feels like a way for people to feel all warm and fuzzy inside for helping a good cause, when theyre not helping at all. I just feel more aware about who likes what cartoon! lots of people on the other forum didn't even realise that it was for child abuse until i mentioned it, and some on my facebook changed their picture and then asked why everyone was doing it!

How about people only being "allowed" to change their pic if they have done something to help children (ie donated, volunteered)? then they can post a link to a donations page on their status too. you know?
#11 Old 12-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned

I don't think it was even started to "raise awareness for child abuse". Someone sat there and thought "I wonder how many people I can get to do this" and invented some BS reason to guilt them into it. If they really wanted to do something good they would come up with something more productive. It's the same as the stupid bra-colour and where-I-keep-my-purse memes, they weren't started for breast cancer awareness.
#12 Old 12-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I don't think it was even started to "raise awareness for child abuse". Someone sat there and thought "I wonder how many people I can get to do this" and invented some BS reason to guilt them into it. If they really wanted to do something good they would come up with something more productive. It's the same as the stupid bra-colour and where-I-keep-my-purse memes, they weren't started for breast cancer awareness.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/facebo...e-picture-week
#13 Old 12-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

Personally, I really like the cartoon character theme. It's made me happy to reminisce about my childhood and Ive had some fun seeing what other people's favourite cartoons were. I also donated to the NSPCC and encouraged my Facebook friends to do the same.
Some people will pick holes in anything, I guess.
Here are the links if you want to get people donating:
http://www.justgiving.com/fbcartoon
https://www.nspcc.org.uk/donate/dona..._wdh71776.html

That is a very positive way of looking at it. I am not on FB but I have heard about this. Some people I know have donated to the NSPCC because of it so I suppose it could be a good thing in a way?
#14 Old 12-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I just read a thing on facebook saying how it was started by pedophiles to trap children. dont even ask me how that works because i have no idea. loads of people commented saying "omg thats sick im taking the pic down!!!". some people believe ANYTHING.

Funny though, I have both Americans, Brits and people from other countries on my facebook. On the English ones it specifically says "This Is a campaign to stop violence against children " and mentions the NSPCC. NSPCC doesnt exist in the USA does it? So that shows that the "cause" has been twisted. I think theres a version just saying its for "child abuse awareness", which is a bit less annoying. but specifically saying that its to stop violence is bizarre!

Stuff like this just annoys me. Ive a feeling that this wont be the last campaign. they'll keep coming. cant facebook stick to stopping X factor get to number one?
#15 Old 12-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Banned

deleted

#16 Old 12-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea half my friends just changed their pic without the reason, my boyfriend had no idea it was a "good cause" just thought it was a trend.
I'm tempted to make a sarcastic status but don't wanna' ruin anyones "fun"
I wouldn't be surprised if my parents or someone else tell me I'm heartless because I don't have a cartoon picture

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#17 Old 12-05-2010, 01:05 PM
mlp
Banned

Yeah, people like to get warm fuzzies, and the easier and more meaningless it is, the more people jump on the bandwagon.
#18 Old 12-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate to admit it but I love that sarcastic comment in the original article. "We did it guys! Child abuse is over!"

Tam! RUGH!
#19 Old 12-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Exactly. I feel it is making light of a serious issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I just want to say thank you for your hard work. You are actually helping other kids, unlike those who think that changing a FB picture is going to do anything.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#20 Old 12-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I would have never known about the existence of Pedo-Bear if this eye-opening meme had never taken place.

Just like I never would have known the colour/type/style of bra that all my female FB 'friends' were wearing at the time during the great Breast Cancer Awareness Meme.

I'm still waiting for jock strap colors for Prostate Cancer Awareness week/month/couple of days.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#21 Old 12-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

How about "Take a picture of your poo for bowel cancer awareness" day?
#22 Old 12-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Oh! That would be very eye-opening and raise a great amount of awareness as well!!!!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#23 Old 12-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

I would have never known about the existence of Pedo-Bear if this eye-opening meme had never taken place.

Just like I never would have known the colour/type/style of bra that all my female FB 'friends' were wearing at the time during the great Breast Cancer Awareness Meme.

I'm still waiting for jock strap colors for Prostate Cancer Awareness week/month/couple of days.

Quote:

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#24 Old 12-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I just read a thing on facebook saying how it was started by pedophiles to trap children. dont even ask me how that works because i have no idea. loads of people commented saying "omg thats sick im taking the pic down!!!". some people believe ANYTHING.

Funny though, I have both Americans, Brits and people from other countries on my facebook. On the English ones it specifically says "This Is a campaign to stop violence against children " and mentions the NSPCC. NSPCC doesnt exist in the USA does it? So that shows that the "cause" has been twisted. I think theres a version just saying its for "child abuse awareness", which is a bit less annoying. but specifically saying that its to stop violence is bizarre!

Stuff like this just annoys me. Ive a feeling that this wont be the last campaign. they'll keep coming. cant facebook stick to stopping X factor get to number one?

Yeah I saw this as a couple of statuses:

"Did you know that the group asking everyone tochange their profile picture to a cartoon character is actually a groupof pedo's. They are doing it because kids will accept their friend request faster if they see a cartoon picture. It has nothing to do with supporting child violence, it was on T.V and its on tonight's news...."

*sigh*
#25 Old 12-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

Yeah, people like to get warm fuzzies, and the easier and more meaningless it is, the more people jump on the bandwagon.

yeah, it's like my friend Ted says, "nobody wants to dirty their hands throwing bombs anymore."
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6285474262541476793#

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#26 Old 12-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Nevermind
#27 Old 12-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Nevermind

as a consciousness raising excercise it's as real as you think it is.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#28 Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

my fb profile image is of my ideal fascism. have i ended capitalism?

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#29 Old 12-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Ira
Banned

My European friends were changing their profile pics for cartoons last month. they just did it to "bring back childhood memories"
now that it hit our child crazy continent it is about "child abuse".
Hey, guess what, makes me want to punch an annoying brat even more!
#30 Old 12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I may actually do that.

Personally I thought the cartoon thing was stupid and pointless and I refused to participate. I was an abused child myself so I'm well aware of the issue and its lingering effects.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page