Your Black Friday / Cyber Monday Deals - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Administrator

I didn't see a thread like this already. Anyone want to brag about their Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals?

I picked up Mad Men seasons 1-3 on Bluray for $9.99 each w/ free shipping from Amazon. Applied a $16 credit I had from their affiliate program and ended up paying $13 for all three shipped.

I've never seen it but I keep hearing how good it is and I've really been wanting to watch it.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

eh, I went to the mall and didn't find anything I liked. Was going to buy a Banana Republic sweater for like 12 dollars, but the line was so long I just said "fudge it" and left. I ended up hitting up the thrift stores instead and bought:

a BR sweater
an Evan-Picone sweater
1 BR shirt
1 Gap shirt
a scarf
a pair of gloves
two pairs of socks
two pictures (one a really beautiful colored line drawing in old commercial art style that has a woman leaning on a sign that says "Clinique Cheron" surrounded by cats and dogs rubbing up on her)

and some other stuff all for less than $50
got to love thrift stores
#3 Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Black Friday? What's that?

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#4 Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. All the stores have incredible deals (or so they say, Ross tends to lie), and the reason stores call it Black Friday is because it's the busiest shopping day of the year, and it puts them back in the black.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#5 Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

are thou mad??
#6 Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

are thou mad??

Other countries exist outside of the US.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not that uncommon.. I didn't know what Black Friday was until I started working retail (about 19).

#8 Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

only on the tv tho
#9 Old 11-30-2010, 03:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

eh, I went to the mall and didn't find anything I liked. Was going to buy a Banana Republic sweater for like 12 dollars, but the line was so long I just said "fudge it" and left. I ended up hitting up the thrift stores instead and bought:

a BR sweater
an Evan-Picone sweater
1 BR shirt
1 Gap shirt
a scarf
a pair of gloves
two pairs of socks
two pictures (one a really beautiful colored line drawing in old commercial art style that has a woman leaning on a sign that says "Clinique Cheron" surrounded by cats and dogs rubbing up on her)

and some other stuff all for less than $50
got to love thrift stores

Thrift stores are the best! You got some great deals.
I refused to go anywhere on Black Friday. I had to get gas on Thanksgiving and saw people already camped out in front of the stores!
#10 Old 11-30-2010, 04:17 AM
Veggie Regular

We shopped at Target before Black Friday, my husband found the ad online and we purchased everything that wasn't doorbusters like The Big Bang Theory season 3 for 12 dollars, a bunch of toys that were half price for our young neices and nephews (Disney princess Barbies collection $39.99, talking princess kitchen $39.99, remote control mud slinger truck $17, Toy Story figures $17(?), learning table for my brothers infant son, a Dirt Devil vacuum, then we brought the receipt back and they price adjusted after we were done at Walmart the morning of Black Friday. When all was said and done, the girl told us we saved $197 at Target and my husband got to gloat when she told him he was smart. On our rounds walking around after that was taken care of, we found House season 5 for my mom for $12.99, Christmas vacation blu ray for the the same price and Date Night blu ray, I believe was the same?

At Walmart, we got to wait inside. We were there from shortly after 8 pm til little after 5 am. They had most of the Black Friday stuff in the middle of the aisles around the store shrink wrapped with signs saying "This item is not for sale until 12/5 am Friday morning thank you for your cooperation" (5 am was mostly electronic stuff that was wrapped in black shrink wrap and the big stuff like laptops/tvs had lines in different departments with balloons labeled with letters), but people were still tearing the stuff out, putting it in their carts and walking around the store with it. Some people were made to put it back, some people were slick enough to get away with it. I was standing next to the blu rays they had for 5-10 dollars and slowly the crowds surrounded me. My husband was positioned at the video games, we could see each other but when all hell broke loose at midnight when people started fist fighting over bikes, I lost him and since I had the shopping cart, I couldn't really move with as much ease as he could so he was sort of the fetcher. We ended up getting a bunch of Blu Rays, some PS3 games like Undead Redemption, Madden 11, and College Football 11, I think they were 35 dollars? I got a Shark floor steamer for 36 dollars, a fire/water proof safe for my husband that we are going to bolt to the closet floor $20, huge Egyptian Cotton towels $3.77, his uncle was positioned first in line for my new HP laptop $297, Iron Giant DVD for the nephew/neice for $2, toaster for $3 (can't remember the last time we had a toaster), and a large black picture frame that holds 10-11 4x6 pictures for $7.

Our last stop before we stuffed our faces and passed out after being out for 12 hours, we went to the mall and got a treadmill at Sports Authority for $297 and because it was Black Friday the 2 year warranty was only $39.99.

We agreed to go in with a similar plan and do it the same next year. We don't usually care for Walmart, but we liked that we didn't have to freeze outside all night and guys, shopping at other stores before hand and presenting the receipt the morning of Black Friday at customer service when they do price adjust is the way to go just check several times to be sure they do.
#11 Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I looked on amazon.com to see if they had anything on sale I wanted. Actually, some things I'd been considering getting for myself recently seem to have gone UP in price for the holidays. I'll probably wait until January to see if they go back down. As for my holiday shopping, I tend to be uncreative and just send gift cards.

--Fromper
#12 Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought a few things on-line (energy bars and candles that were marked way down) on Cyber Monday. I refuse to go out on Black Friday though.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#13 Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

eh, the only place I went on black friday was to buy some dog food, and each box was 10 cents cheapers. Can't complain. lol

You call me sweet like I'm some kinda of cheese....vegan cheese 0.0
#14 Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought nothing on Black Friday. On Cyber Monday I bought a bread maker on Amazon.com that was about 60% off, and 2 $100 gift cards from Sprouts that were $89.99 apiece. Basically that's like 10% off my whole shopping trip at Sprouts. I go there all the time so spending $200 in gift cards there won't be a problem, believe me!
#15 Old 11-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

I bought a few things on-line (energy bars and candles that were marked way down) on Cyber Monday. I refuse to go out on Black Friday though.

Yeah, I refuse to go shopping on Black Friday, too. In fact, I try to avoid any retail stores besides the supermarket from Black Friday through Christmas, if I can help it.

--Fromper
#16 Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

People in other countries don't have access to google?
#17 Old 11-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:

Expanding on what others told, you I think you may want to know why it's called Black Friday. When a store is losing money, it's called being "in the red", red being the color of a negative amount. Stores have these sales to push a ton of merchandise for one day and thus puts them back in the black.
#18 Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

And here I thought it was called Black Friday to commemorate the shoppers who have been trampled to death in the stampedes.

--Fromper
#19 Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

deleted

#20 Old 11-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

And here I thought it was called Black Friday to commemorate the shoppers who have been trampled to death in the stampedes.

--Fromper

Why would we want to honor idiots?
#21 Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post

Why would we want to honor idiots?

Way to keep it classy.
#22 Old 11-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

Way to keep it classy.

If you camp out in front of Wal-Mart so you can be there when it opens at 4am to be one of the 5 people to get a TV at a reduced price, sorry but in my opinion you are a FLAMING idiot.

YMMV.
#23 Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If you camp out in front of Wal-Mart so you can be there when it opens at 4am to be one of the 5 people to get a TV at a reduced price, sorry but in my opinion you are a FLAMING idiot.

YMMV.

Then color me idiot, cause I love black friday.

That being said, I didn't actually go out for black friday, as I already know what I am going to get for gifts, and they weren't marked down. My bf did get an amp for his guitar, though. The music store had a deal where they would match any price online, and he found the one he wanted cheap cheap cheap, so he printed it off and took it in. All in all, he was gone for maybe an hour, so I'm guessing the crowds/traffic, weren't too bad.

On cyber monday I ordered $108 worth of cosmetics for $29.99, including 99 cent shipping. Pretty good deal, I'd say. I also ordered some stuff from urban decays sale, but I think that sale is still up, so not strictly a cyber monday deal.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#24 Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbleforlola View Post

Then color me idiot, cause I love black friday.

I love sleep.

Quote:
That being said, I didn't actually go out for black friday, as I already know what I am going to get for gifts, and they weren't marked down. My bf did get an amp for his guitar, though. The music store had a deal where they would match any price online, and he found the one he wanted cheap cheap cheap, so he printed it off and took it in. All in all, he was gone for maybe an hour, so I'm guessing the crowds/traffic, weren't too bad.

On cyber monday I ordered $108 worth of cosmetics for $29.99, including 99 cent shipping. Pretty good deal, I'd say. I also ordered some stuff from urban decays sale, but I think that sale is still up, so not strictly a cyber monday deal.

That's not bad at all. I've been an idiot myself and have done the BF thing which is why I've skipped it the last couple of years.

I did snag a bread maker and 10% off Sprouts gift cards yesterday though.
#25 Old 11-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

YMMV.

Ohhhhh, okay. For a moment I thought you were implying people who have died in accidents somehow deserved being refered to as idiots and didn't deserve to be honored/respected after they'd died doing something you disagree with, but have admitted to having done yourself
#26 Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It's the day I avoid all stores because I hate, hate, hate crowds of people.
#27 Old 11-30-2010, 04:43 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

--Fromper

Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

It's the day I avoid all stores because I hate, hate, hate crowds of people.

Me too. I have never shopped on Black Friday, and don't intend too. I find the whole concept of those special one day only sales so manipulative that I boycott them.
#28 Old 11-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

Ohhhhh, okay. For a moment I thought you were implying people who have died in accidents somehow deserved being refered to as idiots and didn't deserve to be honored/respected after they'd died doing something you disagree with, but have admitted to having done yourself

Feel better for that?

I hope so.
#29 Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never heard of Cyber Monday before. Is it new this year or am I just oblivious?
#30 Old 11-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's this year, I've never heard of either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page