Craftsters Unite! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-07-2004, 03:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't seen much craft action going on around vb, so I thought I would start some.

Frugal living seems as good a place as any, especially considering I get allot of my supplies from Op shops, secondhand joints, garage sales, markets, $2 junk barns and so on and so forth.

Unfortunately my scanner isn't all it is set up to be these days (working on fixing that in the next couple of weeks) so in the mean time I am just going to link some photos that I found online that are similar or where I got the idea from.

I'm hoping that there are some other crafsters about and we can share ideas, patterns, pics, designs, horror stories, tips and tutorials! Maybe we can even convince Michael to get us a sewingmachine emoticon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-07-2004, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

- Get your hands on some flat (flat on one side, oval on the other) clear glass marbles. You can usually find them in the fake flower/floral section of craft stores because they are the kind that you wack in a vase to keep your flowers all arranged. I have seen them in $2 shops, usually with the vases.

Make sure you get the clear ones and not the pearlished ones as they reflect the light in this weird way that makes it difficult to see the picture on your finished product - that has been my experience anyway.

- Dig out some intersting pictures. I have used comic books from the book exchange, old sewing magazines (which usually have some cool retro pictures), crafty mags, old postcards and photos and so on.

The only paper I have had problems with is newspaper and old comic book paper IF there is a dark picture on the opposite side- it bleeds through.

- Wash the marbles in soapy water, dry them and then pick out any that have cracks on huge bubbles inside them. On more then a few occasions I have stuck them to the funkiest picture that I am never going to find again only to realise that the marble has a big crack or chip in it, which could give it a unique look, but normally just stuffs it up.

- Lay out the comic page (or whatever your using), wack some craft glue (dries clear, not water (or animals) based) on to the back (not on the edges) on the marble and then press it onto the picture.

- Wait till the picture dries, grab some scissors and cut around the base of the marble. I have got an extra big hole punch and have tried punching out pictures first so I can forgo this step, but because the marbles are not completely round and differ in size, you end up having to tidy it up anyway. Besides, this step is not as tedious as it sounds.

- Turn the marble upside down and then add yourself another coat of glue to water-proof it. You could use some other sealant, but I have found that just another coat of the glue works fine.

And there you have it! Pretty simple and easy! I have used them on hair pins, connected to blank bracelet forms and as magnets.

They are so quick to make and for some strange reason I really love them so my partner and I decided to use them as little gifts to the guests at our wedding. Strange maybe, but no weirder then sugar coated almonds! :P We just glued on the heavy duty magnets and plan on somehow connecting about 6 to each name card, add some more colour to the tables anyway!
LL
LL
LL
#3 Old 02-07-2004, 10:44 AM

Cheeno, those are fabulous! I have been making magnets with polymer clay, but I think I'll have to try your technique. Thanks for sharing that!
#4 Old 02-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay for marbles! I make those all the time. People just think i'm odd hehe. I make tons of crafts (just ask anyone who reads my LJ) but alas I am not home so I can't share with you all my goodies yet. I do the pretty simple things though. Reconstruct clothing, make purses out of books, turn anything and everything into storage, make a crapload of jewelry, etc etc. I'll get pictures up soon.
#5 Old 02-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Love the bracelets cheeno, that looks like a great idea.
#6 Old 02-08-2004, 01:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm going to like this thread. Yeah, I'm going to like it a lot!

Cheeno, I love those bracelets! How do you attach the marbles to the chains? And, maybe more importantly, where do you get the chains?

I'm interested in altering some of my clothing...I've not lost any weight or anything, so it's not like that...moreso, I'd like to take some of my old, blah stuff that I never wear and make something with it that would be much funkier and unique. I have lots of old clothes that I don't wear, but I have no idea where to begin...Anyone know of any good sites for that? I don't own a sewing machine and I haven't sewn much to begin with, but I'm willing to learn, and I like to sew by hand. Of course, I could always find a sewing machine.

I'm also interested in adding studs to my clothing, but I don't know how to go about doing that either...I'm such a crafting virgin.
#7 Old 02-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Wish I was as crafty, but the only thing I really like to do is cross stitch.
#8 Old 02-08-2004, 01:26 AM

I LOVE THOSE BRACELETS!

Wow! They are so awesome! Haha!

I love sewing.. Altering things or making them from scratch! It's great fun! And the results are cool and unique! Hah!
#9 Old 02-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Gracie- With the polymer clay magnets, do they chip/break if they fall of the fridge? I've been thinking of making up some big chunky clay magnets but have been a bit concerned about that.

Tiggzie- Can't wait till you can start sharing your crafts! I'm not the best at reconstructing clothes, so I'm hoping you can give some cool tutorials!

I recently made a couple of little coin purses out of comic book pages lined inside and out with clear pvc, the pvc was pretty tacky to work with untill I got the right grade needle.

Bethanie- thanks!

shethatisnau- I just used *allot* of weldbond glue to connect the marbles to the bracelet form. You can find the blank forms (in Australia they are called blank bracelet forms for gluing/soldering, not sure about what they are called everywhere else? Basically it is a loop link bracelet with a flat disk every other link for gluing what ever your heart desires onto it, you choose the length and then you buy the clasps to attach at the ends), at speciality craftstores. Unfortuntely the one and only good craftstore around here didn't have them last time I was there, so I got stuck with a regular bracelet form, although the links lay flush so with allot of glue I was able to stick the marbles on pretty darn well.

I don't know any DIY clothes altering sites so I can't help you there! You can get sewing machines on the cheapie but IMO it does well to spend a little extra if you eventually want to use heavier materials like pvc, bright pink fur and even some heavier denim. I am not the best with the ole' sewing machine and learnt that lesson the hard way!

I have never added studs to anything. I would think you could find some, I'd imagine there might be some out there that just stud in and then stick some sort of clasp on the back bar (and if there isn't, someone should invent one!)

Muzicfan- Do you design your own cross stitch?

Danny- Show us some of your creations!

I'm glad you liked the marbles My partner was saying the other day we should have tried to get our hands on strong freebie magnets that come in the mail and chopped up those to make the bubble magnets! That would have been thrifty!

I have good feelings about this thread! I will add another project later, and can't wait to check out some of your guys!
#10 Old 02-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

In art I get to learn to make bracelets like that! Those are so nifty cheeno! My friend Lauren has a similar bracelet, and one of the beads has a little frog on the side... it looks like it's humping the marble I think I'll like this thread

My craftiness... I can make hemp/macrame bracelets... those are fun I can also knit, sew, embroider, paint, draw... I love all things artsy
#11 Old 02-08-2004, 10:33 AM

Cheeno--I've just started making the ploymer clay magnets, and I haven't dropped any yet, but I know that polymer clay can sometimes get brittle, especially if it's overbaked. And some brands are stronger that others, too. There's lots of good info at www.polymerclaycentral.com

Hi Cissy! I haven't seen you around in a while. Glad to see you here!
#12 Old 02-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

i have this pair of flared brown cords that i really like but they shrunk up in the wash and are too short. i can't bring myself to throw them out and thought it'd be funky if i sew a different kind of fabric on the hem. it'd be about 2 inches of length i'd need to add. anyone have any ideas for what might look cool? it has to be something fairly thick. one of my thoughts is faux fur leopard print

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#13 Old 02-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a good idea LadyFaile... I don't really have any fabric suggestions though... my friend did that with a pair of jeanss she really liked, but were too short. Leopard print would be neat... or some faux furry fabric.

I should do something like that with some of my jeans... I have two or three pairs that are way short.
#14 Old 02-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I make sock monkeys! I think in the end it costs about $5 in supplies including the socks to make a sock monkey, but I'm not so sure because I always have a stockpile of stuff I need around. I use the official red heel socks, but you can use any socks that go high up the calf I'd guess... I've also made sock elephants and rabbits... I dress them up and take pictures of them doing things.

I made one for Muzicfan for Christmas, and I've made tons of others for other people in their likeness whenever possible. I have the first one I ever made 10 yrs ago, so he's kinda lumpy and lopsided, but his name is Benny, and he's a good monkey. I've attached a few pictures. In the one with a bunch of Monkeys, Benny is the one in the I <heart> NY Tshirt. The bunny is a sock bunny I made. Then the one above the subway map is Daphne, the monkey I made Muzicfan.

I also collage/paint little boxes, and make cards and such out of stuff I cut from magazines. I'm a lousy crocheter, but have managed several hats and scarfs.
LL
LL
LL

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#15 Old 02-08-2004, 08:37 PM

These are my clay pot tree ornament people; currently named Bob the Reindeer. My webcam sucks, but you get the general idea.

I'm thinking of selling them on ebay. Maybe a set of 5 different clay pots - 1 reindeer, 1 snowman, 1 skiing moose, 1 tree, 1 snowman candle holder.

They cost me just over $2 CDN to make, so was thinking of selling for $3.50 each? I don't know how to price these sorts of things.

$3.50 CDN is about $2.65US.
LL
LL
#16 Old 02-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

R_C - Those are so adorable! I love the bunny!

Krista - I'm not good with pricing, but those are cute

I'm getting so many fun ideas from this thread....
#17 Old 02-08-2004, 09:05 PM

My bf's kids went nuts when they say the reindeer. I showed them my other patterns and they quickly pointed out all the ones with "kid appeal".

Children can be helpful
#18 Old 02-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I craft! I do collage (could be considered a craft), make earrings, decorate cigar boxes, sew a little, quilt a little, have made a couple of crazy quilt squares with embroidery, do tie-dye, and some other crafty stuff.

I have a little trouble finishing projects sometimes. I have a couple of lap quilt tops that I haven't actually quilted yet. My crazy quilt squares were going to be a whole quilt, but I decided it was too much work, so when/if I finish the embroidery they will become pillows.

I tried to learn to knit, but got frustrated. I want to learn to crochet, and just got a hook so I can get started (when I get a chance.)

I just found out about finger-knitting this evening, which looks easy-peasy, and I'm going to try it. I found out about it from the punk knitters community on livejournal.

Two finger-knitting links:

http://www.kidscanmakeit.com/AC0023.htm

http://www.camp-a-roo.com/gift.shtml (scroll down on the page)
#19 Old 02-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I make sock monkeys! I think in the end it costs about $5 in supplies including the socks to make a sock monkey, but I'm not so sure because I always have a stockpile of stuff I need around. I use the official red heel socks, but you can use any socks that go high up the calf I'd guess... I've also made sock elephants and rabbits... I dress them up and take pictures of them doing things.

I made one for Muzicfan for Christmas, and I've made tons of others for other people in their likeness whenever possible. I have the first one I ever made 10 yrs ago, so he's kinda lumpy and lopsided, but his name is Benny, and he's a good monkey. I've attached a few pictures. In the one with a bunch of Monkeys, Benny is the one in the I <heart> NY Tshirt. The bunny is a sock bunny I made. Then the one above the subway map is Daphne, the monkey I made Muzicfan.

I also collage/paint little boxes, and make cards and such out of stuff I cut from magazines. I'm a lousy crocheter, but have managed several hats and scarfs.

If I send you some $$ could you make a sock monkey for me.. I think daphne could use a friend, and I think it is SOOOOO... cute.
#20 Old 02-09-2004, 12:21 AM

For clothing alterations a good site is the Lj-Community "T_shirt_surgery"

http://www.livejournal.com/community/t_shirt_surgery/

And oh my stars has a few good tips!

http://www.ohmystars.net/page/diytips.html

And.. My digital camera softwares gone all weird, saying it's not installed, and I don't know where I put the disk So yeah, this is all I have a photo of! It's just my school folder I got for $2NZ.. which would be like $1US..

And then I drew the squares on card, painted the inside, covered it in duraseal.. Etc etc.. and now it's COOL AS! Haha!

I LOVE THOSE SOCK MONKEYS! They are just like the Paul Frank ones!!!!!!

My Dad has socks like that, so later I might try making one! Hah! Or some other sock animal!
LL
#21 Old 02-09-2004, 01:06 AM

CRAFTXCOREXXEI3. yeah whatever. but seriously freshman year art class I made this pattern design for moms that says I LOVE YOU. its gnarly. other than that I suck at life.
#22 Old 02-09-2004, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKass View Post

For clothing alterations a good site is the Lj-Community "T_shirt_surgery"

http://www.livejournal.com/community/t_shirt_surgery/

And oh my stars has a few good tips!

http://www.ohmystars.net/page/diytips.html

And.. My digital camera softwares gone all weird, saying it's not installed, and I don't know where I put the disk So yeah, this is all I have a photo of! It's just my school folder I got for $2NZ.. which would be like $1US..

And then I drew the squares on card, painted the inside, covered it in duraseal.. Etc etc.. and now it's COOL AS! Haha!

I LOVE THOSE SOCK MONKEYS! They are just like the Paul Frank ones!!!!!!

My Dad has socks like that, so later I might try making one! Hah! Or some other sock animal!

Cool folder Danny.....
#23 Old 02-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Crafties! I love this thread!

Gracie- thanks for the link I will check it out!

LadyFaile- major fan of the furry fur! I used to make the best furry flair legwarmers for raving in, but one big problem is that the fur gets dirty/cruddy/retains a hell of a lot of water if walking in wet grass, and it never really seems the same after a few goes on the spin cycle, which is ok if you don't want to keep them longer then a couple of wears. Or maybe I just should not have been so lazy and just hand washed them!

I've seen some popart prints on heavyish fabric (actually it may have been thick curtain material?) at a few fabric stores. I think that would go smashingly with brown cord!

R_C and Krista- They look great! Sock monkey!! I don't know about prices either Krista, I'm sure they would sell at markets, v cute! BTW, I really liked the hanky tissue bag idea from another thread!!

borealis- I love collage!, although I usually get a bit carried away and they end up really heavy, too heavy to hang! My gran taught me how to crochet/knit a few years ago, and I have been meaning to re-learn because I want to make a few vintage type cardigans. I need to find some patterns for that too.

Alec- Tell us more about your design, was it embroidery?

Heading to those links now Danny!
#24 Old 02-09-2004, 10:10 AM

cheeno, I'm planning on making a trillion of them and a) trying to sell a few on ebay b) trying to sell a few on my website and c) trying to sell most of them at a farmer's market near where my bf lives.

I don't think I can part with my hankys b/c I really like them!

Here is a photo of the train I am working on. It's about 6-8" long and am making it a part of a table setting - with pot houses, pot trees, and pot animals.
LL
#25 Old 02-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzicfan View Post

If I send you some $$ could you make a sock monkey for me.. I think daphne could use a friend, and I think it is SOOOOO... cute.

I could make another for you for nuttin. Or if you want you could send me something random in exchange.

Do you want another monkey or some other animal? Does it need to be dressed in any specific way? I can't guarantee a time frame on it, but it'll get done in the not too terribly distant future.

DannyKass -- I've been making sock monkeys for about 10 yrs now -- MUCH longer than Paul Frank!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#26 Old 02-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I could make another for you for nuttin. Or if you want you could send me something random in exchange.

Do you want another monkey or some other animal? Does it need to be dressed in any specific way? I can't guarantee a time frame on it, but it'll get done in the not too terribly distant future.

DannyKass -- I've been making sock monkeys for about 10 yrs now -- MUCH longer than Paul Frank!!

Awwww thanks hun.. that is sweet. I would like a sock bunny.. anytime before easter, that way he can enjoy that holiday with us. Dressed anyway you see appropriate.

Thanks again
#27 Old 02-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah maybe a funky print would be cool. i'm thinking i could reattach the original hem to the bottom of the added fabric, might be kinda funky

i also need to figure out how to let out the waist a wee bit. it's a tad tight around the waist so it makes them ride up but otherwise they fit everywhere. another thought i had was adding a strip of the same fabric down the outside of each leg and creating a wider flare at the bottom. in any case i have to wait til i can afford to buy the fabric but i think they could be really cool in the end. if so i have like 3 or 4 other pairs of pants i could do the same to.

i also want to try altering some shirts that i never wear.

one other thing i plan to do: we needed curtains but decided they were too expensive to buy premade, but i also didn't have money to buy a ton of fabric or the time to really do much with it. so i bought the cheapest flat bedsheets i could find in all black, and just sewed a loop one one end to fit the curtainrod in. they work extremely well, especially for glare on the tv when we watch movies or whatever in the daytime. the house we're in now also came with curtains, offwhite sheers. the sheers over the black looks awesome. when we move next month i want to get some similar sheer fabric and tie-backs. but i also want to add a stripe of the sheer horizontally across the black about 3/4 of the way down. i think it'll add length to the window and to the room and just look sorta neat.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#28 Old 02-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

One thing that seems to have fallen out of vouge these days is makign your own tools. For some purposes, this isn't a sensable proposition (making knitting needles isn't going to save you anything, for example). On the other hand, it is often possible to turn a really cheap piece of hardware into something that would cost you a lot.

For example, pliers with fine noses on them can be expensive. So, buy some really cheap pliers, a couple of sheets of abrasive paper, and shape your own nose on them. (pliers, one pound, abrasives, about 1.50. End result would cost about 20 pounds to buy).

Local 'everything for a pound' store had some cheap and nasy hammers and vices - for 6 pounds, I got a set of 4 hammers and two vices. Regrind the jaws on the vices, and shape the hammer heads, and that's a set of tools that would cost something insane like 100 pounds to buy.

Worst case scenario, you loose very little.
#29 Old 02-11-2004, 11:39 PM

Only a man would think of making tools

Syntax, i was just looking at your avatar and realized that, with a hair cut and a shave, you'd have a prep boy face. Man, you got good features under that hair! Why are you hiding it? Let that chin see the world!
#30 Old 02-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Only a man would think of making tools

Syntax, i was just looking at your avatar and realized that, with a hair cut and a shave, you'd have a prep boy face. Man, you got good features under that hair! Why are you hiding it? Let that chin see the world!

I think he's cute with the beard... and men should always have long hair.

I like the tool idea. A couple of guys I used to know set up a foundry and forged some of their own tools... I loved the idea, but never made time to go out there and play blacksmith, myself. I should have. (Whenever I was there, I was too busy practicing with the throwing knives)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page