Euthanasia ?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-14-2010, 07:57 AM

When an animal is too sick, we put it to sleep and call that HUMANE. When a human is too sick and REQUESTS to be put to sleep, we call that INHUMANE. Can someone please make me understand this? I am very confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Banned

We feel morally responsible for ending an animal's suffering because we know that animal cannot make the choice for themselves, and doesn't have the cognition to think "if I die now, my suffering will end, so I want to die". With humans, the other person in their normal state is capable of making an informed decision. When they are in a vegetative state we know that before the coma, they were capable of deciding, and they might have wanted to live for the chance of regaining consciousness. Therefore we often feel that it is our responsibility to end an animal's suffering, but it is not our decision to end another person's.
#3 Old 11-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I think people should be able to request euthanasia as part of an advance directive. That's just me though.
#4 Old 11-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Many people believe that if you commit suicide, you go to hell. God takes you, when he's ready, and you must endure the suffering until then.

Others worry that some sick people would feel pressured to request death, because they feel they're a burden. (So they don't want the option for anyone).

Doctors quietly euthanize people every day, though, by giving a little too much morphine. Thank goodness. It would be nice if it were legal, the norm, and we could have death planners, like we have wedding planners.
#5 Old 11-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I think euthanasia should be allowed by law. I used to have contact with hospice patients through my job and I think people should be given the right and dignity to decide if they want to end their life.
#6 Old 11-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

What I always say is that we should be more restrictive with non-human euthanasia and more permissive with human euthanasia. And not because I would have some kind of an anti-human agenda but because the scale of quality of life vs. life as such is in imbalance in both cases.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 11-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

People should be able to control the direction of their own life. If they don't want to live, I respect that. Yes, absolutely yes, if they want to die an easy and comfortable death, they should have that right. The worst thing possible is when people take their own life and it ends up very painful or extensive. No one ever asked to be born. The least we can do is make it easy to get them out of a bad situation if that's what they want.
#8 Old 11-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post

I think people should be able to request euthanasia as part of an advance directive. That's just me though.

Can't someone do that if they have a living will made up in advance for if/when that becomes necessary?

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#9 Old 11-14-2010, 10:16 PM

In the US, it is legal in WA and OR.

I know that in WA, however, the patient has to be able to administer the medication on their own. It's assisted suicide.
#10 Old 11-14-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam2cool View Post

When an animal is too sick, we put it to sleep and call that HUMANE. When a human is too sick and REQUESTS to be put to sleep, we call that INHUMANE. Can someone please make me understand this? I am very confused.

Most animals are euthanized when they are neither terminally ill nor suffering. Human motives most often involve the increased expense and work that can accompany the chronic conditions aging animals develop. Cats that miss the litter box. Dogs that snap at owners when surprised. Expensive medical treatments. Failing hearing and eyesight. They're slower and less responsive to us .
#11 Old 11-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Can't someone do that if they have a living will made up in advance for if/when that becomes necessary?

Can someone request to be euthanized? No.
#12 Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

As an agnostic, the idea of oblivion/annihilation for an innocent sentient being scares me, but so does protracted extreme distress with no prospect of relief or recovery. Instead of expanding euthanasia to include humans as well as animals, I want good hospice-type options available for animals as well as humans:

http://www.pethospice.org/

I don't know how to address the issue of someone who explicitly requests death. On the one hand, it is their life. On the other hand, it would be awful if someone requested their own demise because they did not want to be a burden to someone else. Frankly, I'm also afraid that to affirm someone else's right to a "dignified death" might be misinterpreted to mean it is what I myself would want.

But yeah- what Skeezix posted above. I doubt the practice of euthanasia would be so rampantly applied to animals if animals were valued more.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#13 Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You can get palliative care which is basically Morphine and a bunch of other drugs which will send you off to your death in a painless haze if you have a condition that justifies it, but unfortunately, at this point in time, you can't request euthanasia. I really wish you could, because as a nurse, there's been plenty of times when a patient has looked into my eyes and said in desperation "nurse, please kill me" and I can't legally do anything to help them.

m8itcanw8.com
#14 Old 11-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Can someone request to be euthanized? No.

They can request to have life support removed, which achieves the same goal.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#15 Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:

This. ^

The law already permits patients or their surrogates to withhold or withdraw unwanted medical treatment even if that increases the likelihood that the patient will die. No one needs to be hooked up to machines against their will.
#16 Old 11-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

In general I think people should be able to choose whether to live or die.

However, this right could be abused by others, and would have to be strictly controlled and documented.

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#17 Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And what do you do with patients who don't require mechanical devices to keep them alive but who are suffering severely? You can't euthanize them.
#18 Old 11-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Banned

Yeah, and there are illnesses where even if you refuse all medication you will take a long and painful time to die.
#19 Old 11-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And what do you do with patients who don't require mechanical devices to keep them alive but who are suffering severely? You can't euthanize them.

I believe someone else on this thread posted that some patients with terminal illnesses (I'm thinking cancer, etc. here) have the power to overdose themselves on pain medications/opioids as a means to an end. The nurses/doctors/visitors can't stick those morphine patches on, but the patient can if they wish to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Yeah, and there are illnesses where even if you refuse all medication you will take a long and painful time to die.

Of course, this is also true as well.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#20 Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I believe someone else on this thread posted that some patients with terminal illnesses (I'm thinking cancer, etc. here) have the power to overdose themselves on pain medications/opioids as a means to an end. The nurses/doctors/visitors can't stick those morphine patches on, but the patient can if they wish to.

I know several doctors and unfortunately that isn't always the case. They can tell you horror stories of patients who are unable to dose themselves and who, while not on mechanical life support, depend on doctors and nurses for their care....and they die lingering, painful, undignified deaths. They may refuse heroic measures but that still doesn't mean that they'll die quickly. And it doesn't mean that kindly nurses and doctors are going around overdosing patients simply because they're asked to by the patient. It's a real issue without a real solution and not as easily dismissed as you might think.
#21 Old 11-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know several doctors and unfortunately that isn't always the case. They can tell you horror stories of patients who are unable to dose themselves and who, while not on mechanical life support, depend on doctors and nurses for their care....and they die lingering, painful, undignified deaths. They may refuse heroic measures but that still doesn't mean that they'll die quickly. And it doesn't mean that kindly nurses and doctors are going around overdosing patients simply because they're asked to by the patient. It's a real issue without a real solution and not as easily dismissed as you might think.

I wasn't implying that this happens to every person dying with a terminal illness. Which is why I also addressed Earthling's comment in the post you semi-quoted.

www.animal-adoptions.org

#22 Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I think euthanasia should be allowed by law. I used to have contact with hospice patients through my job and I think people should be given the right and dignity to decide if they want to end their life.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post

Most animals are euthanized when they are neither terminally ill nor suffering. Human motives most often involve the increased expense and work that can accompany the chronic conditions aging animals develop. Cats that miss the litter box. Dogs that snap at owners when surprised. Expensive medical treatments. Failing hearing and eyesight. They're slower and less responsive to us .

I think that "euthanasia" is not the appropriate term to use in many/most case where nonhumans are involved - it's killing for convenience, nothing more or less. But yes, when an animal is terminal and can't be kept semi comfortable, then it's euthanasia. I always try to weigh the instinct to life versus the quality of life when I have to make the decision for someone. It's hard to know the right time.

Quote:

This.

I had always figured I would be able to kill myself when/if the occasion arose, but then my mother had a stroke which made it impossible for her to do so, had she wished, and now I worry that something like that might happen to me. If my sister is still alive, I know I could count on her to give me an overdose if the time would come, but she's nine years older than I am, so it's unlikely that she'll be around to do it.
#23 Old 11-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post

In the US, it is legal in WA and OR.

I know that in WA, however, the patient has to be able to administer the medication on their own. It's assisted suicide.

Same in Oregon, the physician only prescribes the medication, they can't participate in the suicide.
#24 Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 PM
mlp
Banned

Cremation ad at the bottom of the page.
#25 Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Impeach the gangster

I'm old fashioned. We have too many laws, as it is. Anyone with the resolve to commit suicide may do so. No law is required. Rather than empowering doctors to kill, we should light a fire under their butts to find some cures. Too many people die from medical negligence; sanctioned mercy-killing would only lead to an even more casual attitude about life within the medical profession.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#26 Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

I'm old fashioned. We have too many laws, as it is. Anyone with the resolve to commit suicide may do so. No law is required. Rather than empowering doctors to kill, we should light a fire under their butts to find some cures. Too many people die from medical negligence; sanctioned mercy-killing would only lead to an even more casual attitude about life within the medical profession.

Of course law is required... or rather, strict legislation. There is a huge potential for abuse here and it needs to be strictly regulated to ensure the person being euthanised wanted to be and was not coerced in to it, and was fully capable of understanding their decision. Cases where the patient cannot make a fully informed decision need to be even more strictly regulated.

Doctors are not the ones who find cures, doctors don't have the time to do medical research. That is another profession entirely.
#27 Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Of course law is required... or rather, strict legislation. There is a huge potential for abuse here and it needs to be strictly regulated to ensure the person being euthanised wanted to be and was not coerced in to it, and was fully capable of understanding their decision. Cases where the patient cannot make a fully informed decision need to be even more strictly regulated.

Doctors are not the ones who find cures, doctors don't have the time to do medical research. That is another profession entirely.
#28 Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Surely you're not suggesting people who can't decide for themselves should be euthanased by a familial/medical/legal think tank? There's an inherent problem with people killing people. We do too much of it already. I'm against it.

Quote:

Unfortuneately, the medical researches will turn their attention to finding more profitable ways of euthanazing people.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#29 Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 PM

Oregon's and Washington's assisted-suicide laws do not allow anyone to "coerce" or use "undue influence" to obtain a request for assisted suicide. However, there is absolutely nothing in the Oregon and Washington laws to prevent HMOs, managed care companies, doctors or anyone else from suggesting, encouraging, offering, or bringing up assisted suicide with a patient who has not asked about it.

Emotional, financial and psychological pressures could become overpowering for depressed or dependent people. If the choice of euthanasia or assisted suicide is considered as good as a decision to receive care, some people will feel guilty for not choosing death.
#30 Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

What I always say is that we should be more restrictive with non-human euthanasia and more permissive with human euthanasia. And not because I would have some kind of an anti-human agenda but because the scale of quality of life vs. life as such is in imbalance in both cases.

I agree. In a lot of cases, people are too quick to euthanize animals...horse broke a leg -> euthanize! Dog got run over by a car -> euthanize! (Even if it can be saved)...

As for people, I can understand how the policy of euthanasia can be abused...e.g. kids who want to hasten the death of their elderly RICH parents to get their inheritance... or people who don't want to care for their elderly anymore... but there are also so many cases when it's genuinely in patients' best interests to be euthanized.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page