Bird Dog Dilemma - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-05-2004, 12:34 PM

I've got a shooting partner that I've known for many years, we used to shoot on the same trap team and have travelled all over the place back in the day. He's also a big bird hunter and has always kept, raised and trained really good bird dogs. Back when I was doing this as well I bought a Brittany from him that was the best pointer I've ever owned. Unfortunately my dog died a couple of years ago and I haven't replaced it because I'm not planning on flushing any more coveys.

Anyway, I called him the other night because I had heard that he was having heart bypass surgery and a valve replaced on Friday (he's now 78 years old and can still outwork and outwalk most men my age). As we were talking he told me that he only had one bird dog left, which was the best one he's ever had, but that he wasn't going to be able to even walk back to the lot to feed it for a long time and wasn't likely going to be hunting him anymore, and that he'd like to give him to me if I wanted him. I politely declined, because I have 3 dogs now that have the run of the house and I just can't cope with another one, especially a field dog that's never been housebroken (he's an English Setter). I told a friend of mine about it and he went over there to see it, and was blown away by the dog's liveliness and apparent intelligence, but he learned that the dog was 12 years old and shied away from taking it home because he was afraid his young son would get attached to it and then it would die in a year or two. I talked to my friend again today and he told me that he was going to have to take this most excellent, highly trained dog to the pound if he couldn't find someone to take it. Damnit I hate to see this, I think I might just go over there and get him anyway, consequences be damned. Maybe I can take it home until I find someone to take it off my hands. Sheesh, this is troublesome . . .

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I would take it home. Even if I had other dogs. Thats just me though...maybe you can keep it until you can find a better home for him? Is there a Setter Rescue in your area?
#3 Old 02-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Try this one:

http://www.saveoursetters.org/

This was listed at this link: http://www.bordercollierescuetn.com/links1.htm

Irish Setter Rescue

Donna Young, Knoxville

Florida All-Setter Rescue, Bonnie Foster, ISCA Rescue Coordinator, Region 3

Setter Rescue on Petfinder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page