What do you do when your parents buy you stuff with animal products in it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Beginner

My dad just bought me a giant thing of candy bars from BJ's. =P

"A good deed done to an animal is like a good deed done to a human being, while an act of cruelty to an animal is as bad as cruelty to a human being."
- Muhammad (PBUH)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Beginner

Depending on what it is:

1. Return it.

2. Donate to charity.

3. Bring to work for others.

In this case, thank him for the gesture but explain your dilemma and see if he wants to return it. If not, give it to a friend or bring it to work/school for others.
#3 Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Depends on the situation.
My boyfriends grandma just bought me gummy bears while we were away, they're even red my favorite flavor. I just thanked her and have been keeping them around until I visit home and can give them to my brother.
If it's a food they expect me to eat right there I'll say something, like a soup, I'll just let them know I appreciate the effort but it has chicken broth etc. They of course make a face since they say it isn't actual chicken but whatever.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#4 Old 10-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenKat View Post

I'll just let them know I appreciate the effort but it has chicken broth etc. They of course make a face since they say it isn't actual chicken but whatever.

Hate this so much because it IS flavored with an actual chicken! XD Gelatin has ANIMAL PARTS in it! I guess if it has no resemblance to the animal it came from, they think it's okay to offer it to us. Omni's just don't get it.

But yeah, I tend to politely turn down foods/gifts with animal products in them or give them to my bro or his girlfriend.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#5 Old 10-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

well whatever you do just let them know (kindly) that you can't eat it, but still be grateful for the thought. I think you have to tell them it's not appropriate so they don't do it again or start to think that there are some animal products you will consume.
#6 Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM

I say thankies....give to family, friends, co-workers or donate....

peace
#7 Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I smile and say "Whoops!" and they slap their foreheads and say "Oh damn that's right!" :P

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#8 Old 10-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom's a vegan so this never comes up for me. But I would politely give it to someone else or return it when that person's not around.

Tam! RUGH!
#9 Old 10-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

My mom's a vegan so this never comes up for me. But I would politely give it to someone else or return it when that person's not around.

That's really cool about your mom being a vegan! Was she always vegan and raised you to be vegan? Did you go vegan first and then she followed? Either way is really impressive.

Semasahin: I agree with everyone else...thank them and politely inform them of their mistake then return it, donate it or give it to family/friends. Since it was a giant bag of candy bars maybe you could hand them out to trick or treaters for Halloween....if you're comfortable with that.
#10 Old 10-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

If it was my parents I'd just straight out tell them. If you pretend you ate them, they might keep buying you more!
If it was another relative I'd probably give it to my sister/mum/dad/take it into work/etc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page