Clothing/Accessories/Styles You're Glad We Don't Have to Wear Anymore - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Veggie Regular

My mother is so old fashioned (but then she's 85 years old). She doesn't understand why I won't wear the following anymore:

pantyhose: Itchy, uncomfortable, hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and always snagging and tearing. Thank goodness they've fallen out of favor. I do keep a few pairs around, mostly black, because there are certain situations where they're expected to be worn. But other than that...goodbye pantyhose.

girdles. Back when Mamie Eisenhower was First Lady and Marilyn Monroe ruled the silver screen, this may have seemed like a good idea. It wasn't. Nowadays when we want a slimmer figure, we wear tummy control panties, and I can't stand those. Last time I wore them I couldn't breathe and my abdomen hurt from being squeezed. I'm a feminist. I'll flaunt my bulging belly, thankyouverymuch.

Slips, half and full, under skirts and dresses: A relic of a more prudish era. Maybe as an extra layer in the winter, but otherwise, what's the point?

Shoulder pads: Originally used in the 1940's, they make women look like football players, especially when they wear more than one item with shoulder pads (such as a blazer over a blouse that both have shoulder pads). I still have in my closet a bag of shoulder pads that I ripped out of everything I ever bought that included them (they make dandy cat toys, btw). So what if I have skinny shoulders? Taking out the pads gives me a nice petite look that I think is more flattering.

Also:

stirrup pants. Believe it or not, there is at least one mail order catalog that still sells these things. WTF? I thought these went out with the Reagan administration. Why would anyone wear these? They're not even an attractive anachronism. But some people must be buying them, because that catalog keeps selling 'em.

neckties: Don't get me wrong, when a man is dressed to the teeth in a fabulous suit, a beautifully made tie completes the outfit and makes him look gorgeous as all get out. But most of the time guys just look like they're being strangled wearing them. Why do you think they're always being loosened when the man is under a lot of stress? Who thought up this necktie idea, anyway? And don't even get me started on women wearing neckties. Are they trying to cut off the flow of air to the brain?

Oversized shirts. Big in the 1980's, I wore them because that's what was in fashion, even though it's totally the wrong style for me. I'm 5 feet and weigh about 105 pounds. Wearing oversized shirts made me look like I was dressed in a BIG flour sack. I had no figure in the 1980's because I covered my whole body in these things.

Flannel shirts: Another fashion statement come and gone thanks to the grunge movement of the 1990's, but the only people who should be wearing these are forest rangers who rescue bear cubs from deadly fires.

Anything made from wool: Itchy, itchy, itchy, and hot. Thanks to synthetic clothing materials, we don't need wool anymore, and the sheep get to keep their skin coverings. Isn't that nice?

Anything made with fur: Thanks to synthetic clothing materials, we don't need fur anymore, and the animals who get killed for their skin coverings get to keep their skin coverings (and their lives). Isn't that nice?

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

School uniform. I hated wearing that.

Also my Mum used to make me wear itchy woolen jumpers when I was a child and I couldn't stand the feel of them.
#3 Old 10-02-2010, 03:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately, Stirrup pants, flanel shirts and shoulder pads are back in fashion! Not getting me near them though.

and I still wear tights/pantyhose in winter. Im not sure what alternative i'd have when wearing a skirt. leggings are banned from my work, and smart trousers arent practical (cant wear boots with them).

seconding school uniform. mine was terrible, im put off navy blue for life!
#4 Old 10-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh underwear... oh underwear
how I hate this stupid wooly underwear
I wish I'd gotten
some made of cotton
How I hate this stupid wooly underwear.

That's something we used to sing as kids. You just reminded me of it

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain
#5 Old 10-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Pointy toed high heels.

I know they're still in vogue, but I'm not interested in crippling myself for fashion.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#6 Old 10-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Underwear.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? -Bill Hicks
#7 Old 10-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

How many times have I been walking behind someone wearing a thin skirt and no slip only to see way more of the thong than I ever needed to know? I think slips are still quite useful depending on what they are worn underneath.
#8 Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Kris View Post

How many times have I been walking behind someone wearing a thin skirt and no slip only to see way more of the thong than I ever needed to know? I think slips are still quite useful depending on what they are worn underneath.

But how will I ever show off my pretty undies that way?

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#9 Old 10-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Shoulder pads are terrible! I've seen the creeping back into certain lines of clothing and it makes me sad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 10-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Not that I wear dresses very much but, in addition to helping with the see through issue, slips also prevent garments from clinging to underwear. And, while the 1940's version of a girdle might be out, support wear like Spanx is a billion dollar industry. I must be terribly out of fashion but I wear flannel in winter a lot. I even have flannel sheets for my bed.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#11 Old 10-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Haha, flannel shirts and oversized shirts and shoulder pads are definitely back in.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#12 Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLennyCleo View Post

Oh underwear... oh underwear
how I hate this stupid wooly underwear
I wish I'd gotten
some made of cotton
How I hate this stupid wooly underwear.

That's something we used to sing as kids. You just reminded me of it

Wait...is there such a thing as underwear made out of wool or is it just some random song? (I really hope it's just a song and no such thing exists.......how uncomfortable!).

The first thing that popped into my mind was "hammer pants" or "parachute pants". Also half shirts/midriff shirts and those weird mesh netted shirts that guys wore.

It seems like most of these trends mentioned are coming back or have come back at some point. I still wear flared jeans even though "skinny" jeans and leggings/Jeggings (shudders) are in style now. I don't mind flannel coming back because it's comfortable .

I never had to wear a school uniform but honestly I kinda wish I did. There was so much bullying in my school over "fashion" choices. God forbid you wore an outfit more than once or didn't wear the latest styles or expensive name brand names. If you were caught wearing these things you were taunted and harassed. I can understand why people hated wearing them though but I could also see how it could be somewhat of a good thing. I'm so glad I'm not in school anymore!
#13 Old 10-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Wait...is there such a thing as underwear made out of wool or is it just some random song? (I really hope it's just a song and no such thing exists.......how uncomfortable!).

The first thing that popped into my mind was "hammer pants" or "parachute pants". Also half shirts/midriff shirts and those weird mesh netted shirts that guys wore.
It seems like most of these trends mentioned are coming back or have come back at some point. I still wear flared jeans even though "skinny" jeans and leggings/Jeggings (shudders) are in style now. I don't mind flannel coming back because it's comfortable .

I never had to wear a school uniform but honestly I kinda wish I did. There was so much bullying in my school over "fashion" choices. God forbid you wore an outfit more than once or didn't wear the latest styles or expensive name brand names. If you were caught wearing these things you were taunted and harassed. I can understand why people hated wearing them though but I could also see how it could be somewhat of a good thing. I'm so glad I'm not in school anymore!

Agreed! Where do you find them though? I've had to start wearing capris because all my old flare jeans wore out, and the local thrift stores rarely havethem.

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain
#14 Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Neon colours. Yes, I was a child of the 80s. The same thing goes for shoulder pads and stirrup pants.

I hate pantyhose but stockings a garter belt are actually pretty comfy. Or at least thigh highs. Plus they have the secret naughtiness factor
#15 Old 10-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibabble View Post

Neon colours. Yes, I was a child of the 80s.

Neon colors are back too aren't they?
#16 Old 10-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

To combine two posts made, people at my school wear neon colored skinny jeans. My sis has a pair of highlighter yellow ones. All my skinnies are denim however.

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#17 Old 10-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

boy toy belt and crucifixes

Attachment 10043
LL

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#18 Old 10-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

When some styles came out about a year or more ago, those kind of pheasant style 70's blouses. Made me cringe just seeing them in the stores. Reminded me of being in school. I could never buy one.
#19 Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Shoulder pads. Those are only acceptable when watching repeats of Dynasty. I loved that show!
#20 Old 10-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffinSong View Post

Pointy toed high heels.

I know they're still in vogue, but I'm not interested in crippling myself for fashion.

I go to church wearing 3-4 1/2 inch heels(I find them comfortable) but pointed toes are definitely a no-no. They make people look like witches.
#21 Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoro View Post

I go to church wearing 3-4 1/2 inch heels(I find them comfortable) but pointed toes are definitely a no-no. They make people look like witches.

Real witches would never wear those horrible things.

#22 Old 10-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I wear slips under dresses cos some of mine are see-through

And I also own a pair of stirrup-pants but wear them as tights with boots so they just look like regular leggings. I actually don't hate the look though, there are definitely worse trends that are making a come back. Like double denim for instance - yuck!
#23 Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

And I've noticed the mid-90's is making a revival. I'm in two minds about this. I don't particular feel like being transported back to when I was ten years old and wore floral pants and dresses with white tees underneath just yet, but I like some of the current takes on the baby-doll dresses and combat boots look. Just no grunge, please.
#24 Old 10-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Flannel shirts: Another fashion statement come and gone thanks to the grunge movement of the 1990's, but the only people who should be wearing these are forest rangers who rescue bear cubs from deadly fires.

I still wear flannel shirt in the winter..because they are warm and comfortable and Northern New England is cold....

But yea, in CA, there is just no reason to wear them

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#25 Old 10-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffinSong View Post

Pointy toed high heels.

You do realize that the toes don't go to the point, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoro View Post

I go to church wearing 3-4 1/2 inch heels(I find them comfortable) but pointed toes are definitely a no-no.

Yay, I'm not the only one with a high heel love!

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#26 Old 10-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I've noticed that so far nobody has challenged me on the anti-necktie thing.

#27 Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Beginner

Eh, neckties aren't too bad. I just don't see the point in wearing them if you're not dressed up for something. A tie with a T-shirt looks pretty dumb.
#28 Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know how people can wear ties. I would think they would feel totally restricting around your neck. I'd feel like I'm being choked. Imo they don't look bad (in business/uniform attire) but just uncomfortable.
#29 Old 10-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Turtlenecks. When I was a kid my mom would make me wear them, and when I got to school I'd pin them down with a safety pin! LMAO

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#30 Old 10-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Turtlenecks. When I was a kid my mom would make me wear them, and when I got to school I'd pin them down with a safety pin! LMAO

I still do that! I also look for sweaters with necks that aren't quite turtlenecks (it gets cold here).

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page