Birthdays to remember - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 AM

Have any of you ever done anything especially memorable for your birthday? (not counting getting plastered when you're 21..which I suppose isn't that memorable, but I digress....)

I'm working on something extra special for this next b-day (not for a couple of months), but haven't quite settled on what yet. Travel to someplace "exotic" is on the top of the list now, but there are some other, not yet ready to be revealed to my husband , ideas too.

So...anyone want to share how they've marked the occasion?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Banned

I didn't get to celebrate birthdays as a child, so for my 25th birthday my (now ex) boyfriend threw me a surprise kid-like party - complete with balloons, streamers and vegan birthday cake he had decorated with Tweety Bird on it. I have a stuffed Tweety Bird from when I was a kid; I loved it more than anything else when I was child. It was incredibly sweet, very thoughtful, and I will always remember and cherish that birthday.
#3 Old 09-25-2010, 08:58 PM

I am 36 now and very comfy with that....but when I turned 30 I was really bummed and avoiding the day like the plague....I didnt want to get old.....I didnt want gifts, a party nothing.....a few days before my B-day I snapped back... I was suddenly okay very very hippie to be alive and lucky enough to be having another B-day.... and decided I didnt need a thing...no more stuff was my motto!!.... I decided I was gonna ask my family and friends who were gonna give me a gift to celebrate my special day... to make a donation to one of my fave charities that I have worked with and volunteered for for many many many many years..... money, time& themselves or item to a charity or do something nice for someone else....to remember my day.....and I have done that from that B-day on.....I spent my 30th B-day at a Soup Kitchen helping cook and hand out meals....I also spent it making toiletry bags and handing those and toys and stuffed animals out to children & families.....It was one of my best B-days ever....I met some amazing people and had amazing conversations and a cake was brought out for me to celebrate with my family, friends and new friends.....it was one of the best gifts ever.

peace
#4 Old 09-25-2010, 09:16 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

this last birthday was very memorable -- it was easter, the end of my lent fast, i turned 21 (even though i'd been barhopping since i was 18 in the dives of NOLA), i went apocalyptic minature golfing, i went dancing, i celebrated so much -- the lives of both my father and my only oncle who died earlier in the year, the win of my hometown team for their first superbowl, and my general sense that maybe i wasn't going to die as miserable as i thought. yally even sent me a present for my birthday.

boyfriend and i have extremely close birthdays (his is april fools, mine is the fourth) and for our next birthday, we plan to celebrate in a foreign country. other than that, my most memorable birthdays have been 18 -- literally less than four months afterwards i was in my own apartment in downtown NOLA, and then 16, because i celebrated it with people who i consider my most important non family members today and got idiot trashed.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#5 Old 09-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

My birthdays have been memorable for bad reasons for the last 4 years (didn't get to go to my fav restaurant on my 21st because of ball game traffic and I had a BAD canker sore, ex was gone for the 22nd and 23rd - cousins wedding then military training in FL, 24th was away from family, no one seemed to care). Don't do any of that stuff

My ideal birthday would be enjoying the cuisine in a big city. I've never been to NY, Chicago, or San Fran. I have been to Boston (not on birthday), but wish I had splurged on a hotel in the heart of the city. I'm big on saving money, but I wish I had had the "Boston experience." If I could do that for my birthday, I would. I like birthdays in San Diego, those have been my favorite. I love booking a hotel, getting away from my life for a few days.

It was either my 16th or 18th where I went ice skating with close friends, that was really fun.
#6 Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Being mistaken for a male while the person is looking at your completely-female genitalia. Yup. That happened the day I was born, and no one's going to forget THAT.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 AM

Um..what?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 09-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

For my 13th, my mum got a limo to take me and my friends to the cinema. That was awesome!

This year, for my 20th, I just picked a random place in England and we went there for the day to see what we could find. We ended up having the best day in Oxford, and I got a bright pink 'birthday girl' sash which I wore all day.

For my 21st, I'm going on holiday with some of my family and friends. Travelling is a great way to celebrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 09-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Ankle Biter

For my 50th this past May, my husband gave me, two of my best friends, and my daughter-in-law a spa day! We each had a full body massage, a manicure and a pedicure, and a facial. It was fabulous - we sipped champagne all afternoon! And after, there was dinner at a wonderful Thai restaurant downtown. I honestly can't imagine a better birthday.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#10 Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Being mistaken for a male while the person is looking at your completely-female genitalia. Yup. That happened the day I was born, and no one's going to forget THAT.

Was the doctor not sober when he delivered you?

*this space not for sale*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page