Only 10 more years of antibiotics left? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 08-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

10 years is really short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBG09 View Post

I wouldn't take it to that extreme, but we should obviously stop prescribing antibiotics when they're not needed to treat something. They're misused a lot, and that can be blamed on the doctors and the patients.

On numerous occasions I've seen people get antibiotic prescriptions without knowing what the exact cause of their infection was, their doctor just takes a shot in the dark and hopes they're prescribing the right thing, without actually testing the infection and doing any lab work to determine what will be the most effective.

As someone who might've died without broad-spectrum antibiotics (due to an infection so rare it took two weeks of tests to pinpoint the specific bacteria), I can say that sometimes, it's necessary to treat people with anything you've got to keep them alive long enough to figure out the exact issue.

However, I agree with everyone that when someone goes in for a cold, they should NOT be given antibiotics. A cold is a virus. What a doctor once told me is if, after 7 days, it's not improving at ALL, then you go to a doctor and talk about antibiotics. But I think we should be testing people to see what specific one they need, and if it is, in fact, a bacteria, or just a strong virus.

Admittedly I don't know how long it takes the average clinic to do tests like that, nor the cost. But I'm sure the cost would probably still be better than doling out antibiotics, and if not, then it's certainly cheaper than the cost of trying to save people from these superbugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Trust me, I wouldn't fault anyone for that. If I'm ever facing death and they don't know what's wrong with me, I'll tell them to roll the dice and give me their best stuff.

When it comes to cutting down severely on antibiotics, I'm talking specifically about the situations where it's not severe and time isn't a huge issue.
#33 Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

^^Yeah, I figured, just making sure. I agree with you on that.
#34 Old 08-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBG09 View Post

Trust me, I wouldn't fault anyone for that. If I'm ever facing death and they don't know what's wrong with me, I'll tell them to roll the dice and give me their best stuff.

When it comes to cutting down severely on antibiotics, I'm talking specifically about the situations where it's not severe and time isn't a huge issue.

Same. If it's a matter of life or death, I agree it's better to start something until more conclusive results are known.

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
#35 Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Quote:
Nine distinct chemical extracts from the locust brain killed Escherichia coli, which can cause food poisoning, and seven killed Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), the problematic superbug sweeping hospitals and communities throughout the western world.

Relevant to the topic: http://www.newscientist.com/article/...g-plagues.html

Don't think I like them messing with the locusts/cockroaches though. D: I prefer the bacteriophage from seawater idea.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#36 Old 09-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Banned

as someone who swims with superbugs day in and day out, i'm less than impressed.... though i'm sure i'm colonized with mrsa and god knows what else. people who have crap immune systems (often lifestyle related) will be out of magic bullets. it won't affect the vast majority of the population.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page