Temp work or bar work?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I am wondering what people's experiences are with temp work??

Here's my (long) story:

I need to work and make *good* money over summer vacation. I have debt that is ruining my peace of mind and literally making me sick with stress. I know the bar/restaurant I used to work at is hiring, and I am all about shooting the GM an email and asking him if I can work as much as possible until school starts again in late August. I am really only focusing on the pros of working there, because they fit exactly what I am looking for. I can make good money (for a college student). An average work week I took home between $500-1000, I take home cash so there is no waiting around to be paid, if I need to work more hours I can, if I have a financial situation come up during the school year I can pick up a shift or two some weekend, I have already been through the training so I could start making money right away, I have countless uniforms so very little money would need to be spent to prepare for working again, and I know the job like the back of my hand and know what's expected of me and am confident that I am good at it.

So here's the thing. My boyfriend is absolutely convinced that I should not work there again. He maintains that I hated working there...I never hated it, I grew annoyed at certain managers and employees who don't even work there anymore. When you work in a bar where the uniform is pretty much a catholic school girl and all the servers are female and all the managers male - sometimes things get annoying. Yes, I hated walking to my car at 3am in downtown. I wasn't alone, but I get easily creeped out by the people on the streets at that time of night. I did it, with my taser and pepper spray way more accessible than my cash that's for sure. I really didn't mind being hit on all the time by customers...it can be flattering sometimes and when it's not it was a lot of fun to be able to mouth off at a bunch of men and know I wouldn't be fired if I had to put an unruly one in his place. I enjoyed working with customers of all types and being able to be myself and speak however I wanted. I think I really thrive in the customer service area - I looove talking to people. The uniform was also super comfy lol. I hated how one manager would schedule me precisely when I *couldn't* work and I would usually have to pay another girl to cover my shift. I don't foresee this as a problem as I'm only going to work for about 2 months and I have made it my first priority, so I won't really be asking for any specific days off. So yeah, I grew angry at times, it happens at any job pretty much I'm sure. Lots of drama and work politics but I never hated waiting tables. I loved it. I did have to pay to park, but the money I brought home really overshadowed that.

My boyfriend thinks I should give temp work a chance. He says I can make decent money, and have a flexible schedule. I hate offices and entry level office work with every bone in my body. He says all the offices I've ever worked at (and nearly not enough to judge) have been run by a**holes or people who don't know a thing about running a business. Also, temping would mean I could live at my apartment all summer and not stay in the city, a little less than 90 minutes away from home. (Not a huge deal, I'd just stay with my family) He says I really need to give temping a chance, I could learn new skills and the money isn't terrible. I feel like I would hate working in offices all the time, and not knowing my way around would be stressful, and I also worry that since the job market is sucking and everyone and their grandmother is job hunting, that I may not be able to just easily be placed in a job right away. I don't know.

I guess I want to know: is temping what I imagine it to be? Can I make good money? Is it mindless office work like filing and data entry? Oh and I also would need to buy more professional office-y clothes. Less money spent is a good thing. What are your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Ps - I am not trying to insult anyone. Just because I hate office work, and filing and sitting in a chair all day make me want to slit my wrists, doesn't mean other people necessarily feel that way. I don't look down on anybody, I just know I personally have always felt very claustrophobic in offices.
#3 Old 06-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Do what you love, APOA. If you enjoyed the bar/restaurant scene, by all means go for it. Yes, there will be times when you have to work when you'd rather be off (trust me, I know this for a fact). If you know the manager there, they probably know what a hard worker you are. The down side is nights, weekends and holidays are out. As are the drunks at 2:30 in the morning

Temping can lead to other, better paying jobs, and things like weekends and holidays (Independence Day, for example) off, so there's that up side. (Not sure where you are, but it sounds like the United States. Please correct me if I'm wrong). Also, no going out to your car at 3 a.m., either. I doubt you'd be staying any longer then 5-6:30 p.m., if that.

Sorry, I wasn't much help, was I? Good luck with everything, and I hope you get a job.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#4 Old 06-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I am in the US yes. The nights and weekends don't bother me too much, as I'll only be doing this for summer vacation and nothing else. I actually prefer to work at night rather than the daytime. No holiday issues as well, as I literally cannot work July 4 as it is the day before my final and I'll only be working till Aug 20. I'm thinking of just signing up with a temp agency and seeing what it's like for a little bit and then calling the old workplace if needed. Heck, I will totally work 2 jobs if it means I can start a new school year with no debt weighing me down.
#5 Old 06-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I enjoyed temping because it gave me a peek at the places I was sent to. I often wanted nothing to do with them after my assignment. There were others that I did all I could to stay because they were wonderful, happy places. The neat thing is that you don't have to just look at the position you are in, but often become privy to other positions soon to be opening up. There are so many different departments in most places. I've worked up front as a receptionist, in marketing all the way up to being an executive assistant to the president and ceo. I'd do it again in a minute, but that's me. You should research places that interest you first. They will ask you what your interests are at the temp agency and you can decline if you don't wan the job. I was pretty particular about what I took.

You could actually do both. Bar type work is often at night and/or on the weekends.
#6 Old 06-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I want to encourage you to go with your insticts. If you think you'll hate temping, cause you hate working in offices, then you'll probably hate it!!!

I know that if it were me, I'd be going back to the bar. I've worked office jobs and I've worked in the hospitality/service industry and I find office jobs make me feel fat, lazy, bored and crazy. It's depressing and makes me hate life.

I love working nights, I love interacting with people, I love not being at a desk all day, I love getting a bit of a workout at work and generally having more fun.

I have chosen to work as a server in a restaurant even though I have tons of office and management experience. Serving is better money, with less time spent, less money put out on clothes (cause yes, you will need a professional wardrobe for most office jobs) and it's more fun. I like being able to sleep in a bit, run my errands and play outside during the day and then go in to work in the afternoon.

It's not for everyone, but I think you know what I'm talking about!!!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#7 Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Synergy, what you just said is EXACTLY how I feel about serving! I've decided that I am going to go back to serving at night, and if for some reason I am not making the money I need to this summer, to then go sign up for temping in the day. No one can tell me where to work and as an active, artist type I really do feel suffocated and lazy in offices. I need to stop trying to make other people happy and comfortable with my choices and listen to my instincts. The GM didn't call me back when I called yesterday, so I told a new manager today what I wanted and he said he would run it by the GM and let me know. Apparently they are super busy because the home office people are in town plus the World Cup is probably making the bar really busy. If I don't hear back by 6pm tomorrow, I think I may email. The new manager said they are hiring and since I used to work there I probably should have no problem being rehired. Here's hoping I have a job by the end of this week!
#8 Old 06-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Banned

temps don't just have to work in offices. temping unsociable hours in factory environments, shelf stacking in supermarkets, order picking and packing, etc, can pay pretty well, and usually its not exactly complicated stuff that you'll be doing.
#9 Old 06-16-2010, 01:48 AM
Banned

'Better the devil you know'.
#10 Old 06-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicepieceofash' date='15 June 2010 - 09:07 PM' timestamp='1276661237' post='2658931 View Post

Synergy, what you just said is EXACTLY how I feel about serving! I've decided that I am going to go back to serving at night, and if for some reason I am not making the money I need to this summer, to then go sign up for temping in the day. No one can tell me where to work and as an active, artist type I really do feel suffocated and lazy in offices. I need to stop trying to make other people happy and comfortable with my choices and listen to my instincts. The GM didn't call me back when I called yesterday, so I told a new manager today what I wanted and he said he would run it by the GM and let me know. Apparently they are super busy because the home office people are in town plus the World Cup is probably making the bar really busy. If I don't hear back by 6pm tomorrow, I think I may email. The new manager said they are hiring and since I used to work there I probably should have no problem being rehired. Here's hoping I have a job by the end of this week!

I hope you get the job, anicepieceofash.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#11 Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp' date='16 June 2010 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1276723419' post='2659389 View Post

I hope you get the job, anicepieceofash.

Me too. Good luck. It sounds like they are crazy busy and could really use your help.
#12 Old 06-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone! I haven't heard anything today so I'm going to email them. Fingers crossed hard lol!
#13 Old 06-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicepieceofash' date='11 June 2010 - 06:21 AM' timestamp='1276197662' post='2655875 View Post

I did it, with my taser and pepper spray way more accessible than my cash that's for sure.

WTF???? I just saw that.. WTF, you carry a taser?!?!

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#14 Old 06-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Good luck with the job. You won't want to work in the industry forever, so, might as well enjoy it while you can.

#15 Old 06-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz' date='16 June 2010 - 06:04 PM' timestamp='1276729460' post='2659465 View Post

WTF???? I just saw that.. WTF, you carry a taser?!?!

Hahaha not a taser gun!! I have a small one my boyfriend gave me, you have to actually press it up against the skin for it to do its job. So it's more of an emergency get your hands off me thing. I've used it only once for the noise and spark value, when someone tried to mug me once and I shot it they screamed like a little girl and ran away. It's not something I ever intend to use unless absolutely necessary, but it does bring me comfort being in my purse. I will (never say never but probably) never ever ever carry a gun, but I was assaulted 5 years ago and as a reaction I have been given a taser, pepper spray, and a rape whistle. Might be a little overboard but it does make me feel a little safer. It certainly wouldn't kill anyone I'm sure. Nothing like the police have.
#16 Old 06-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicepieceofash' date='17 June 2010 - 10:51 AM' timestamp='1276797104' post='2659929 View Post

Hahaha not a taser gun!! I have a small one my boyfriend gave me, you have to actually press it up against the skin for it to do its job. So it's more of an emergency get your hands off me thing. I've used it only once for the noise and spark value, when someone tried to mug me once and I shot it they screamed like a little girl and ran away. It's not something I ever intend to use unless absolutely necessary, but it does bring me comfort being in my purse. I will (never say never but probably) never ever ever carry a gun, but I was assaulted 5 years ago and as a reaction I have been given a taser, pepper spray, and a rape whistle. Might be a little overboard but it does make me feel a little safer. It certainly wouldn't kill anyone I'm sure. Nothing like the police have.

I'd feel better if you took self-defence lessons. Most colleges offer things like that, look into it. Good luck with everything.

#17 Old 06-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicepieceofash' date='18 June 2010 - 04:51 AM' timestamp='1276797104' post='2659929 View Post

Ahh... cool. I did meet a guy recently with a full on uber-powerful one, and he shot it around. I was thinking of those, they are quite scary!

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#18 Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

So, how'd it go? Did you get the job? Are you happily employed?

#19 Old 06-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Nooo!!!! I'm SO irritated. I called Monday and left a message with a server, which I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't deliver it. But then I called Tuesday and left a message with a manager so when I didn't hear back I emailed the GM Thursday morning. Still nothing. Maybe they changed the contact email - I just now thought to look at the website and now it says [email protected] and my address book was [email protected]. Hopefully that was the problem, but still no excuse for not returning a phone call IMHO. I'm going to resend this email I guess, but I am seriously running out of time and patience. My first loan repayment is July 1. AND Friday they posted another hiring ad on Craigslist so I can't think of any excuse not to call me back and hire me dangit!! LOL
#20 Old 06-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok so I just checked and I actually did send it to the att address. Wth?? Seriously going to call them one more time after the lunch rush Monday and I'm probably going to start actively trying elsewhere. This is ridiculous. If it's just that you don't want to hire me for something like hotness (cuz that's the kind of bar it is) just freakin tell me no. If not, why is the GM being so flaky? Sorry guys, frustrated rant!
#21 Old 06-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe the GM is on vacation or sucks at checking his email? I'm sorry you aren't having any luck getting a hold of him. Does he frequently go/work at the bar? Maybe if you went down there in person you would have better luck actually getting an answer.
#22 Old 06-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Fadeaway. Go to the bar and ask if they will hire you back. Good luck with everything.

#23 Old 06-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Guess I'll have to! He's actually normally there during lunchtimes, and he was both times I called but not available to talk. I'm blaming the World Cup and the home office people being in town....for now...
#24 Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Did you get hired today? Are you working?

#25 Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh no! I'm really frustrated. None of my calls were returned and my email wasn't returned, and when I went up there the GM had just left for a week's vacation and the only managers left are ones I've never worked with. The guy there said that lots of applications had just come in and he would let me know if something opened up. (I really think I just was being blown off by the way) Why would you put hiring ads on craigslist over the weekend and suddenly first thing Monday tell me that? Plus, they wouldn't have to spend money and time to train me and they have a really high turnover. I guess it could be the fact that I would only be there for a few weeks, but honestly I don't know what to think. The GM liked me when I worked there, I worked hard, had no attitude problems, and had tons of regulars so I certainly was an asset for the company. And I've been back there to drink several times since I last worked there, and the girls they have working were really slow and not very attentive. I feel like there is no good reason not to hire me unless it is an appearance based thing. I gained maybe 10-15 pounds when I stopped waiting tables (a real calorie burner let me tell ya!) but I have lost it and maybe he doesn't know that. I'm not going to dwell on it, my email was sent, maybe something will happen when he gets back, but I'm too frustrated and unimpressed with the management right now and pestering them anymore won't help my case.

Done a lot of looking - applied at a restaurant yesterday in my college town. I talked to the hiring manager and he was really impressed by my interview, experience, and resume and told me he would keep my application on file. He had just hired 5 new people, but told me to call back in a week. No other restaurants in town are hiring, Chili's might in early-mid July though. No campus jobs available. I called 4 temp agencies and they all said they needed people for construction/heavy labor type jobs and I wasn't going to be able to get any administrative work. I live in a prison town, don't know if I would be able to get a job there if I got desperate lol! I called two other restaurants about 20 minutes away from my town and they told me to come on in tomorrow. One of them's hours are 4-10pm so that would actually work really well with a school schedule if needed. And a friend of mine used to work there and recommended I call them so maybe that's a good sign. Going to hit up every opportunity I find until I have a job! Thanks for the good wishes!
#26 Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry to hear about that, ANPOA. I hope you're hired soon. I don't know what laws there are in your hometown or state, but we used to be able to buy and shoot off fireworks here. Would a fireworks stand be a fesable and legal thing for you to do?

#27 Old 06-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm...not really sure, I've honestly never even thought about that!! There are a lot of rules about where you can't shoot them off and if we get any kind of drought there will be burn bans which includes fireworks. Interesting idea though, I just may look into that!
#28 Old 06-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicepieceofash' date='23 June 2010 - 06:45 AM' timestamp='1277300715' post='2663342 View Post

Hmm...not really sure, I've honestly never even thought about that!! There are a lot of rules about where you can't shoot them off and if we get any kind of drought there will be burn bans which includes fireworks. Interesting idea though, I just may look into that!

If you get any kind of drought, just let me know. I live in Seattle and would cheerfully send you our rain. All 400,000,000,000,000 inches of it.

#29 Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry you're having such a hard time finding work. That must be really frustrating.

I think that only being able to work for a few weeks might really be the kicker at the place you used to work for. I never ever hired someone who would be only available temporarily when I managed a restaurant. Way too much paperwork, even if they were a decent employee, it just never seemed worth it.

Good luck finding something!

#30 Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

How's it going, ANPOA? Did you run and operate a fireworks stand? Are you racking in the dough?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page