Clogged sink help? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if this belongs in frugal living or not, but I didn't know exactly where else I could put it. I have literally NO money (maybe 5 cents?), so going out and buying a fancy liquid-plumber-esque product is completely out of the question, but the sink in my bathroom is clogged. It's not completely and utterly clogged, but it's at the point where the simple act of brushing my teeth and washing my face before bed fills the sink (and I turn the water off while brushing!) and it takes at least half an hour to drain. What is a girl to do?! I could ask my dad to fix it, and if I can't get anything to work I'm going to have to, but I'd like to show some independence and take care of it myself. What in the world can I do? Vinegar? Bleach? Toilet scrubber? I'm at a loss and I need some help, it's getting really frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

take it apart, the pipe underneath, and see if the clog is in there.

try a plunger.?
#3 Old 01-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

If you can't undo the plastic pipe underneath where the U bend is[put a bucket there first...] poke a long thin thing [ wire coat hanger straightened out?]down the hole and wiggle it. Bathroom basin pipes are usually clogged up with hair and scum. Vinegar wouldn't be a bad idea. Boiling water helps disolve scum.

Borrow a rubber plunger from someone and pump away over the plug hole.

If there's any chance it's frozen, put salt and a little water down the hole.
#4 Old 01-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Banned

I use a plunger sometimes, too, for problems such as this.

There are ecofriendly drain cleaners, but they are expensive.
#5 Old 01-25-2004, 01:34 AM

i had this same problem in my kitchen sink not long ago. throw about 1/2 cup of baking soda in & around the drain. follow that up w/ about a cup of white vinegar. (i didn't measure anything- these are just guesses) it should start foaming like an elementary school science experiment volcano. about 10, 15 mins. later follow this up by pouring boiling hot water down the drain. repeat if you have to. this mixture & process will eat up any biological matter in the pipes- it works great! if this doesn't clear it out, you're screwed & you're probably going to have to use evil chemical drain cleaner.
#6 Old 01-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

i've always heard that dumping used coffee grounds into the sink instead of throwing them out helps to keep your drains clear.

but after you get the clog fixed and have the cash i recommend little rubber hair stoppers. they let water through but trap hair and anything else that may clog, and you just empty it over the garbage.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#7 Old 01-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tried the vinegar/bakingsoda/boiling water and it did help but my sink is still taking a long time to drain, just not the 3+ hours it was taking before. Now it takes roughly 5 minutes to drain, which I can live with. If it gets bad again, I'll talk to my dad about it. Thanks everyone! I would've used a plumber, but we somehow don't have one and the coffee grounds suggestion came a little late, but I'll try it next time the sink is clogging up. Thanks!
#8 Old 01-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shethatisnau View Post

I don't know if this belongs in frugal living or not, but I didn't know exactly where else I could put it. I have literally NO money (maybe 5 cents?), so going out and buying a fancy liquid-plumber-esque product is completely out of the question, but the sink in my bathroom is clogged. It's not completely and utterly clogged, but it's at the point where the simple act of brushing my teeth and washing my face before bed fills the sink (and I turn the water off while brushing!) and it takes at least half an hour to drain. What is a girl to do?! I could ask my dad to fix it, and if I can't get anything to work I'm going to have to, but I'd like to show some independence and take care of it myself. What in the world can I do? Vinegar? Bleach? Toilet scrubber? I'm at a loss and I need some help, it's getting really frustrating.

I hope this helps you.

My wife brushes her hair over the sink, I cut my hair in the bath room. All of that hair goes down the drain. and gets caught on the stopper. Go under the sink and above the trap (the curved pipe) heading toward your sink basin you will see where the stoper plunger comes down and is operated. Unscrew this and pull free. Now go up and remove the stopper, runthe water and clean the stoper.

If it is stoped up at this point you will need a snake. Avai at hardware store,or borrow one. This will push what ever has collected in the trap (the curved part of the drain) up and then in to your main sewer lind wich will push it away as this line is larger....on last idea That I have used is the outdoor hose to clean out the trap....the higher water presure and the ability to get the hose head in the drain.

Dont buy draino or other prodcuts, those chemials work only on breaking down sediments and contaminat build up,...not on what is normaly the real cause.

PM if you need more help and I can call you and talk you through it.
#9 Old 01-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

the coffee grounds idea is more a preventative thing. every time you make coffee dump them in the sink and it'll keep the drains from clogging in the future.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page