Clover's story: a happy end to a sad story of exploitation - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Beginner

I just read a thread about animal testing in which the animals who were experimented on were euthanized at the end of the research, and it made me think of my childhood rabbit Clover's story. I thought you all might like to hear it. Was not sure where to post it so here it is!

When I was a child, my mom ran an eye surgery center. When lasix type surgeries first came out, her clinic was one of the first to hold demonstrations of the new technology to show the surgeons. The surgeon who pioneered the technique came to her center with all his equipment and a live rabbit to perform the procedure on.

The rabbit was anesthetized and the procedure began, with all the other surgeons watching carefully and my mom (an RN) assisting the surgeon. At the end of the procedure, she was to euthanize the rabbit. The pink juice had been drawn up and sat ready for her.

At the end of the procedure, the doctor ordered my mom to euthanize the rabbit and dispose of the body. He turned away and began shaking hands with the other doctors who vigorously applauded him. There was so much commotion that amidst the celebration, no one noticed when my mom squirted the contents of the deadly syringe into the trash, and carried the limp but sleeping rabbit off to recover.

Clover came home that evening and lived out her days with us. My mom had to falsify records in order to cover her tracks with the surgeon who performed the procedure, but her own doctors and other employees of the clinic knew what she had done and remained silent.

My mom was and is an omni, although she is recently taking steps towards reducing her consumption of animals for health reasons. I often remind her of Clover's plight and what a dichotomy it is to love animals and risk your career for the welfare of one species, while munching happily on another. I believe she will see the truth in her own time. In the meantime, I believe her compassionate act resonated with my young mind and may have been what first planted the seed of veg*nism for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2010, 03:46 PM
mlp
Banned

Thanks for posting that story, VegRN.

Veg*ns tend to get so down on omnis, and yet everyone I know IRL in animal rescue has been omni. I know there's a logical disconnnect between, on the one hand, risking one's career for a rabbit, as your mother did, or devoting all one's free time and most of one's personal resources to animal rescue, as is the case with so many people who work in rescue, and, on the other hand, eating other animals. However, most veg*ns at one point were deep into the same kind of logical disconnect.
#3 Old 06-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Beginner

Very true. I firmly believe that those who have eyes to see the truth can only see it in their own time. I think my mom is on her way, it is just a more winding path than I might like
#4 Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

What a beautiful story. Made me cry. Tell you mom I love her!
#5 Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

What a beautiful story. Made me cry. Tell you mom I love her!

As for that pompus a**hole of a doctor... well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page