Go to SF and go to school (original plan) 0 0%
Go to London, then go to school/SF after a few years 0 0%
Go to SF, then figure out how to get to London 0 0%
other 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, this is probably not what I need right now.

So first things first - my current goal is to move to California by June, work at Whole Foods there, probably go to college there, graduate, take a year off and travel, and then move back to Vermont and begin building a ecofriendly vegan summer camp for children.

But now, the company I work for, Whole Foods Market, has just announced that they bought an 8 store chain in London!! Agghh!! The store is called Fresh and Wild, and now my company owns it. They're small compared to the average Whole Foods so it's common knowledge that Whole Foods' next step is to build a Whole Foods sized Whole Foods in London (which would mean 200 jobs would be opening up in the next year or two, though this is just one uneducated man's guess.)

Should I stick to my plan or put it off and try and move to London?

Should I just give in, forego my goals in life, and become a corporate lifer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry to anyone who lives in London, but I don't understand why anyone wants to move to London. Sure, if you want to be depressed by bad weather and rude people, go for it! But every one of my friends who has done the London thing has been ultimately let down by it and wished they'd gone somewhere else... I'd stick to your original plan.
#3 Old 01-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I want you to go to SF! cuz I'm gonna go to SF for Pride Weekend at the end of June, and I want to celebrate with you!!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#4 Old 01-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I love London and don't think the weather is "bad". I'd jump at any chance to go there. But SanFran is great too...I think whatever choice you make will be great.
#5 Old 01-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

MollyGoat, if you lived where I live, you'd think the weather was bad! LOL
#6 Old 01-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

I love London and don't think the weather is "bad". I'd jump at any chance to go there. But SanFran is great too...I think whatever choice you make will be great.

Good answer!
#7 Old 01-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

Should I stick to my plan or put it off and try and move to London?

Should I just give in, forego my goals in life, and become a corporate lifer?

Do you know that they would send you to London? I mean, have you had an offer? Not that it matters, you can work to get sent there regardless -- I'm just wondering if it was a sure thing.

If it was me, I'd try for London. The chance to be in another environment, another culture (not that we are that different) -- I just think it would be fantastic. It could make you a more well-rounded person. You'd have great stories to tell at parties and it could really contribute to your later hire-ability as well. Plus it could lead to many other opportunities... traveling to the continent, etc. Definitely London! You can always go to San Fran later!

Don't forego your goals completely though! I can't imagine that you would, though.
#8 Old 01-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I traveled all over in my 20's. I have wonderful memories and life experiences but sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I would have put all that money and energy into more realistic projects. I guess you have to find out what's important to you at this time. You might never get to London if you put if off. Sorry I'm no help!
#9 Old 01-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I say finish school (could you do that in London?).
#10 Old 01-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I don't know for sure that I'd get a job there in London - but if they opened a new store and had to hire 200 people, I can rest assured they'd take any current "team members" they could possibly get. Whole Foods try to hire within.

I honestly think moving from Boston to New Orleans was as different as moving to London would be - hahaha!
#11 Old 01-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I honestly think moving from Boston to New Orleans was as different as moving to London would be - hahaha!

You might be right! They are such different cities/cultures.

My friend Jill moved to London for a year and she never regretted it. She did so much crazy cool stuff while she was there, even though she was poor (and working illegally). I'd jump at the chance.
#12 Old 01-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbum View Post

You might never get to London if you put if off.

I've already been to London. (and met spud when I was there!)

dvmarie - that's an interesting thought - finishing school in London. Would the degree be worth anything in the US? Does anyone know anything about degrees or transferring credits outside of countries?
#13 Old 01-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

i dunno, a friend's sister went to London for school (forget the program) and was there for only a short time before someone tried to mug her on her way home from work. she freaked out and took the next plane home and quit school. not to say that London is dangerous, i doubt the crime there is any worse than any city in Canada or the US. i guess just being so far from her family made her feel vulnerable.

everyone's experiences are different, but since you've already been there you know what you're in for so to speak. is the job likely to be the same in both places? find out if you can do the same schooling in both places. if so, what it comes down to is which place you'd rather live in. what's more exciting and interesting, where can you see yourself spending your weekends, bar hopping in London or on a sunny beach in Cali?

but either way the right path usually makes itself known. just keep an eye out for opportunities. you'll probably find yourself halfway there before you realize you made the decision

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#14 Old 01-25-2004, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Mikie, you need to come to Cali & work at the Whole Foods in Campbell (a bit south of SF, close to San Jose)...then we could visit you everytime we do our shopping!!

SD & RSJ
#15 Old 01-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Jon
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I can rest assured they'd take any current "team members" they could possibly get. Whole Foods try to hire within.

Have you actually expressed an interest with the company yet? You may find that its not so easy to relocate employees internationaly as you think.
#16 Old 01-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Would the degree be worth anything in the US? Does anyone know anything about degrees or transferring credits outside of countries?

A completed British degree would definitely be worth something!

As for transferring credits, my University of Amsterdam ones transferred very easily to an American university ... actually, I think they gave me more than I deserved!
#17 Old 01-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyK View Post

A completed British degree would definitely be worth something!

As for transferring credits, my University of Amsterdam ones transferred very easily to an American university ... actually, I think they gave me more than I deserved!

Thanks! I really don't know anything about this stuff.
#18 Old 01-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Although living in London would be fun and cool, if I were in your place I would focus on school. The longer you put it off, the less likely that it becomes that you will start and finish. In fact, when I was in a similar place, I chose the route that took me away from school and, although I had some cool experiences, I wish I had finished my degree when I was younger and had less of the financial burdens of adult life.
#19 Old 01-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

To all of the good advice / information about choosing to stay at school / work for the company, I would just add the following:

There is something special about capital cities, it is hard to put your finger on exactly what it is. Maybe it is to do with the concentration of power, perhaps it is something altogether different but everytime I have been to a capital ... be they big (London, Berlin, Paris) or much smaller (Sydney, Wellington) ... I get this feeling that I am somewhere special!

All other things aside I would consider the side benefits of an opportunity to live in one of those places for however long.
#20 Old 01-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm. tough call really.

on the one hand, i greatly value education and i think it's a good idea to finish (hence, a law degree for a yoga teacher). on the other hand, life experience is also extremely valueable--and it is one of my hopes to living outside the US someday (hopefully Europe).

I think the idea of "both" is a great one. Either city is pretty amazing--it's just a matter of which direction you want to go (east or west). but, in both cities you could work and go to school. even if you're only taking one or two classes, it keeps you present in that world, and helps you get to where you want to go. i'm sure classes will transfer.

I wish you all the best!
#21 Old 01-29-2004, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Mikie! Come back to England!!

Living accomodation is very expensive in London unless they provide it for you. Could mean travelling in by train every day. But London is like a whole country compacted in to a few miles, and everything is happening there at all hours of the day and night - it's fun, and there are millions of people to make friends with.
#22 Old 01-29-2004, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

If I had a chance, I would do the London thing for a lil bit, then come back to the states and continue your goal.

You need to jump on these experiences as they arise..

I wish I could afford to go to London myself.
#23 Old 01-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I agree with those who value education. Don't put it off for too long. But if you can do a few units of a degree in London, or maybe just do 6 months to a year in London then go back to the US and start studying, then I'd say London is a good idea.

London is like most big cities I guess - there is always cheap accomodation if you look for it or have some people to give you advice. And I also advise you not to listen to Queenslanders who moan about London (that means YOU Shewolf!). I'm from Sydney originally and I live in London and, while I don't want to settle in this city (though I am now a permanent resident in the UK) I think it's a great place to spend a year or two. If you only knew how many fellow Aussies I've met who complain about everything in the UK rather than appreciating the differences ... it's a pet peeve of mine I can tell you.

Mind you, San Francisco sounds cool too. I wouldn't mind doing a year there. If i could get my girlfriend to agree I'd be asking you to try and get me a job there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page