Junk mail - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I just wondered if I am the only person who does this?

When I get junk mail that has a free post envelope included, I tear up the junk mail and the envelope in came in, put it all in the free post envelope and send it back to the company.

I don't suppose that this does any good but it makes me feel better everytime!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I do that, but leave the envelope empty. I don't send the ones that have some sort of bar code on them and "customer tracking" or similar.
#3 Old 01-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

hah. i might have to try that.

though overall i like junkmail. i mean i like getting store flyers and coupons, but other stuff is annoying, like the ads from the local funeral homes and nursing homes. lots of elderly folks in my town lol

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#4 Old 01-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

LadyF, it's usually the pre-approved credit card applications that come with the return envelopes that I send back empty. I don't do that with the charities, though I get a lot of those, too. Actually, I need to transfer my credit card balance soon, so I don't need to shred them all!
#5 Old 01-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I get like 1 pre-approved credit card a day! It's such a waste of paper.

ETA: This is so messed up - I swear I'm not joking - as I hit enter to post that the mailperson just came and dropped off a pre-approved credit card!!!

"The Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards Card"
#6 Old 01-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

That is such a cool idea. I've got to start doing that.
#7 Old 01-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I get as many as Mikie does. It drives me crazy! I think I will start doing this!

What's the best strategy for when you get those AOL cds in the mail?
#8 Old 01-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm. I recently read about a guy who was collecting them from people to send back to AOL, or something. If I can find it, I'll post it. I just trash them.
#9 Old 01-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Here is the AOL CD news article on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/10/17/aol.discs/

Here is their homepage with the address to send your AOL CD:

http://nomoreaolcds.com/
#10 Old 01-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Banned

Hmm...What a clever idea! I think I'll do that, also. Serves them right for bothering us!
#11 Old 01-22-2004, 05:04 PM

I do this, but I always send back the application, not filled out of course. I write "take me off your mailing list" on the application in really large letters.

This has really reduced the amount of junk mail I get!
#12 Old 01-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm. I've got to try your method Flower.

But, sending them back their own ripped up mail is a good idea too.
#13 Old 01-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSwab View Post

Hmmm. I've got to try your method Flower.

But, sending them back their own ripped up mail is a good idea too.

I have heard of people who have found scrap metal and put that in the envelope - the idea being that the company will have to pay for the excess weight!
#14 Old 01-23-2004, 12:53 AM

I always send back whatever part has my name and address on it with TAKE ME OFF YOUR FU#&ING LISTS written on it in their pre-paid envelope. If they require a stamp however, I just throw it in the recycle bin.

I think that No More AOL Cd's site needs some more exposure.. everytime I get one of those I send it back to AOL with a note that reminds them how wasteful they are being, but that is a pain in the butt!

Let's all email our friends and family with that link so we can get the site some more hits!
#15 Old 01-23-2004, 02:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDiva96 View Post

I think that No More AOL Cd's site needs some more exposure.. everytime I get one of those I send it back to AOL with a note that reminds them how wasteful they are being, but that is a pain in the butt!

Looking at the site it is possible that it also doesn't do any good just sending them back, from the faq

4. Why don't we just send our CDs right back to AOL ourselves?

Quite frankly, AOL is unlikely to change their behavior without a large public demonstration of dissatisfaction. Getting some of their junk mail back each day will have little if any effect. However, receiving several truckloads of their CDs, all at once in broad daylight, with the media in full attendance, will have a larger impact. Note that AOL sends this stuff out as bulk mail - there's no return postage paid, so writing "Return To Sender" and throwing it back in the mail just makes more work for the Post Office (they have to pick them up and sort them out, then toss 'em in the garbage. AOL will not see that CD or pay any additional postage).

can be seen here: http://nomoreaolcds.com/FAQ.html

I have to say I like what they are doing!
#16 Old 01-23-2004, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't get credit card approval notices since I took my name off the lists. There's a number posted in frugal living that us citizens can call to reduce/stop junk mail.

But, I can tell you that I'll never run out of Address Labels for as long as I live, assuming that I never move, thanks to every charity in the world,
#17 Old 01-23-2004, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I did that (removed our names from the list), but for some reason we still get the stuff.
#18 Old 01-24-2004, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

When we lived at our old house, some birds were nesting in one corner of our porch roof. We wanted to be able to see how the eggs and babies were progressing, so before the adult birds started building the annual nest, we mounted an AOL CD behind the nest angled down. This particular CD was virtually rainbow-free and acted as a mirror. Best educational use for it that I've seen!

Or you can use them as makeshift frisbees. Home decor is always an option--that bathroom wallpaper border too expensive? Mount AOL CDs back-side-out along the top of the wall and increase the amount of light reflected in the bathroom!

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#19 Old 01-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

LOL at Skylark ... great ideas!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page