Survey: Cell Phone Most Hated, Most Needed Invention - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-22-2004, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Love it. Hate it. Need it. Americans are ambivalent about their cell phones, TV sets and the like. They rely on such everyday technology, but it drives them nuts.

At the top of the list? The cell phone.

An annual Massachusetts Institute of Technology survey, known as the Lemelson-MIT Invention Index, found that among adults asked what invention they hate most but can't live without, 30 percent said the cell phone.

Alarm clocks were a close second, with 25 percent, followed by the television with 23 percent and razors with 14 percent. Microwave ovens, computers and answering machines also earned spots as detested technology.

Full story...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2004, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Full story...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

Don't believe everything you read.... KC is a member of this panel.... last laugh on research!
#3 Old 01-22-2004, 07:08 AM
Banned

The cell phone is extremely convenient for me. If I need to drive 30 minutes to get to work some days, I can get a phone call or two in, also, instead of doing it later when I'm at home and have other things to do. Also, in case of emergencies or last-minute change-of-plans, it is very nice to have.

On the downside, I can't stand it when people call me on my cell phone without trying my home phone first and/or when they call me on my cell phone and it's not an urgent matter. I don't do it to them!
#4 Old 01-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I like all that stuff.

How could anyone hate a microwave? They're so handy.
#5 Old 01-22-2004, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I just hate cell phone drivers, too many times have I almost got in an accident from a driver not paying attention, and on the cell phone.

I wish they made hands free a necessity when driving.
#6 Old 01-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Banned

I do have a hands-free device but don't always use it. I never take my eyes off the road when I'm on my cell phone, even when dialing. I don't understand why people seem to have so many problems doing two things at once, or maybe people just assume that the person isn't paying attention because of the cell phone when it could just be their driving skills.
#7 Old 01-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Cell phones- When I had one I loved it, very convenient especially when my car broke down in the middle of Gary Indiana. However, I think there is a time and a place for making calls. I don't want to over hear someone arguing with their significant on the commuter train, breaking up with thier girlfriend in a coffeehouse, begging mom for money in the grocery store, ringer going off every 5 seconds with the same 50 cent song at deafening levels while I'm trying to watch LOTR.... I could go on and on.

There are trade offs with all technology, while solving one problem technology often creates new problems.
#8 Old 01-22-2004, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Its weird that a razor would be a detested invention.

Many people think that hairlessness is a necessary thing for beauty.

Then again, many people actually hate the process of shaving, so I guess I can see it.
#9 Old 01-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I mostly just use my cell phone for car emergencies.

Rarely is mine even on.
#10 Old 01-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I love my cell phone. I got rid of my home phone, and just have the cell now. I travel A LOT taking my kids back and forth to their dads and in the winter time there is nothing like knowing you have a link to people when you are on the road. Also, I never had long distance on my phone as up here it is ridiculously expensive, so my kids can call their dad, grandparents and I can talk to friends that don't live near by. yay!
#11 Old 01-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

I do have a hands-free device but don't always use it. I never take my eyes off the road when I'm on my cell phone, even when dialing. I don't understand why people seem to have so many problems doing two things at once, or maybe people just assume that the person isn't paying attention because of the cell phone when it could just be their driving skills.

Studies have shown that people talking on cell phones while driving are just as dangerous as people driving drunk. Only for as long as they are talking on the phone, of course.

Of course, I don't know what studies, or where to find verification... I heard this on a news show a couple years ago.
#12 Old 01-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I use my microwave when I drive!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page