My natural dreadlock journey! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Starting point: April 24

1 week-ish. After a shower.

After another shower. Getting crazy. Almost 2 weeks.

Dry at 2 weeks.

Pulled back for a wedding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Looks like they're forming nicely! Looking good
#3 Old 05-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm quite surprised at how well they're forming as well. It went from, "NO I WON'T KNOT!" to "HAHAHA TRY TO BRUSH ME NOW!" in like a week.
#4 Old 05-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool! Call me stupid though, I have no idea how to make "natural" dreadlocks (but then until recently I didn't know how dreadlocks were made at all).

I've always wanted dreadlocks, and I regret not getting some before I cut off my long (almost waist length) hair
#5 Old 05-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyvel View Post

Cool! Call me stupid though, I have no idea how to make "natural" dreadlocks (but then until recently I didn't know how dreadlocks were made at all).(

Ok so I'm stupid too. Have no idea how dreadlocks are made fullstop.... let alone 'natural'...... can someone enlighten me
#6 Old 05-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Natural = wash with non residue shampoo or just baking soda. Don't brush. Separate a few pieces when you get out of the shower so it's not one huge beaver tail looking thing (unless you're into that). I wash my hair everyday. It's a compulsive habit that I'm trying to break.

This also explains all the other ways:

http://www.dreadlocktruth.com/FAQ.htm
#7 Old 05-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Very cool and interesting. I really didn't know anything about dreadlocks before. Thanks for the link and good luck on your continued journey. It looks great so far.
#8 Old 05-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh that's really cool. I had no idea you could do it that way.

Do keep us updated, I'm very interested to see how the process goes
#9 Old 05-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Out of curiosity, what made you decide you wanted dreadlocks?
#10 Old 05-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering that too.

I would love dreads, as I think they can look really pretty. But I'm more scared that when I once day get bored of them I'd have to cut off my hair >.>
#11 Old 05-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

You can comb them out if you have a lot of time. With a huge tub of conditioner and a good brush, anything is possible.

Besides the fact that I've always loved the way dreadlocks looked, the fact that I am tender headed as hell (when I heard about a hair style involving no brushing, I shat bricks), and I hate cutting my hair but at a certain point, it just gets unmanageable, I have some less vain reasons. They are also a way of keeping me natural. If you put just normal chemical laden shampoo on your head (as I am so tempted to do any time I shower at a friends house) you will rue the day. Maybe. I don't want to test that theory. I am also a control freak from hell. With natural dreadlocks, there is no control. You just have to suck it up. It's a tiny kind of chaos I suppose that you have to learn to love. There are other reasons, but I don't want to bore you guys to tears or get off sounding super cheesy. I think as time goes on, I'll have more and more reasons to keep and love my locs.
#12 Old 05-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessyka View Post

You can comb them out if you have a lot of time. With a huge tub of conditioner and a good brush, anything is possible.

Yeah I was reading about that in the link you posted. I am very curious to know how long it takes you to get them out once you eventually decide you don't want them anymore. Combing them out just sounds like such a time consuming, frustrating, pain in the a**. I can see why some people just shave their hair off. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with all that combing. :/
#13 Old 05-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

When I was at uni I had black, white blonde and red synthetic dreads braided into my hair, and I absolutely loved them. I still have them and I have them put back in when I go to festivals. I would love to have bright red natural dreads but my fiance HATES them! The things we do for love....

ÂMay all beings everywhere plagued with sufferings of body and mind quickly be freed from their pain. May those frightened cease to be afraid, and may those bound be free. May the powerless find power, and may people befriend all life. May those of all species who find themselves lost, the young,...
#14 Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Looks great, Jessyka!

My daughter has curly, afro-american hair that dreads naturally. When she decided she didn't like them anymore, it took many hours to comb them out. It couldn't be done all in one sitting but took several 1-2 hour sessions over the course of a couple weeks. Think of unraveling a huge ball of knotted up fishing line.
#15 Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Beginner

Oh I am joining you in the journey... I haven't combed in about 2 weeks now... This will be my second set. If you haven't checked this board out yet... here is a link.

http://com3.runboard.com/bknottydreadlockforum
#16 Old 05-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Beginner

Nice!!!!

It's great to see another dreadhead on here. Mine are nearly 5 months old.

Haha, I approve of the Dreadlocktruth link too. I'm a member of that.
#17 Old 05-11-2010, 04:09 PM
mlp
Banned

I like dreads, and yours are looking good, Jessyka.
#18 Old 05-11-2010, 04:19 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

hmm interesting. my hair starts to dreadlock after three days or so, and i loathe it. but i'm always interested in why people want them in the first place.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#19 Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I lived in the Caribbean for a year at one point in my life, and decided to get cornrows. I thought they would stupid on me, but they were so comfortable and looked very natural on the island setting. I wish I had pictures left. They were really easy to take care of and I didn't miss washing my hair one bit.

They were a <deleted> to take out, though. Good luck on your journey!
#20 Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I could get dreads! But due to an unfortunate medical condition that has left me almost completely bald on the top of my head (no eyebrows or eyelashes either), that really isn't possible... It's hard to make an effective, fashionable combover with dreads. Though, I'd love to shave my head this summer or dye the ends blue.

Good luck!
#21 Old 05-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

#22 Old 05-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ My hair looks like that if I go a day or two without brushing. Ah, the joys of wavy/curly/thick horses maine hair.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#23 Old 05-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

My hairs are very fine, but I have a LOT of them. I might consider dreading just to try it out if I didn't work in finance. We have a dress code, and I'm pretty sure that dreads of any kind run counter to it.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#24 Old 05-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Here be a better picture after I separated the mess and twisted just a bit.
#25 Old 05-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I had natural dreads, took three years for them to form.
#26 Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB305 View Post

I had natural dreads, took three years for them to form.

Do you have any pictures of them?
#27 Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

i would love to get dreads, i've been considering it more and more lately. i hate my hair. it's a pain to deal with when it's long, it's always full of knots no matter what i do, and when it's short i can't be bothered to get it cut regularly so i get the nasty in between stage where it just looks like garbage for ages til i either get it cut again or let it grow long enough to clip it back. i just recently cut it and the woman i went to did a terrible halfassed job. i could do dreads now except that she cut it too short at the back of my neck so i have to let it grow out a bit first. luckily my hair grows fast.

i may be spending two weeks in toronto at the end of the summer to work at the CNE, i was planning on using this time to go shampoo-free anyways since i'll likely be wearing a hat to keep the sun off anyways and i won't have to see people i know or anything lol. hoping 2 weeks is long enough transition time to get past the greasy stage. i was pondering the other day wether or not i could start dreads at the same time. i'm too impatient to let it knot on its own like that though, and if i did i'd have just one gigantic dread at the back of my neck which is a huge problem area for knots because of my weird "m" shaped hairline (it grows upwards and then down so i have a perpetual rats nest there when it gets too long), i think i would have to jumpstart it so it knots properly. i'm gonna bookmark those links and check them out tomorrow

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#28 Old 05-14-2010, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollfie View Post

I was wondering that too.

I would love dreads, as I think they can look really pretty. But I'm more scared that when I once day get bored of them I'd have to cut off my hair >.>

Don't be scared to cut your hair off! I've done it a few times, you'll survive.

I've always wanted to both have dreadlocks and buzz my head. Can't do either in my job right now (pixie cut was the "weirdest" I could get away with). I'm thinking eventually when I go back to California I might dread my hair, and then if I get sick of it eventually I can just buzz my head. Win-win!
#29 Old 05-14-2010, 04:07 PM

They're looking good! I like the first few stages when you noticed them knotting up more and more each week.

Good luck with them
#30 Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page