70 years without food or water? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2010, 03:07 AM
Banned

Prahlad Jani is being held in isolation in a hospital in Ahmedabad, Gurjarat, where he is being closely monitored by India's defence research organization, who believe he may have a genuine quality which could help save lives.

He has now spent six days without food or water under strict observation and doctors say his body has not yet shown any adverse effects from hunger or dehydration.

Mr Jani, who claims to have left home aged seven and lived as a wandering sadhu or holy man in Rajasthan, is regarded as a 'breatharian' who can live on a 'spiritual life-force' alone. He believes he is sustained by a goddess who pours an 'elixir' through a hole in his palate. His claims have been supported by an Indian doctor who specializes in studies of people who claim supernatural abilities, but he has also been dismissed by others as a "village fraud."

India's Defence Research Development Organisation, whose scientists develop drone aircraft, intercontinental ballistic missiles and new types of bombs. They believe Mr Prahlad could teach them to help soldiers survive longer without food, or disaster victims to hang on until help arrives.

"If his claims are verified, it will be a breakthrough in medical science," said Dr G Ilavazhagan, director of the Defence Institute of Physiology & Allied Sciences.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-70-years.html

Makes me hungry just reading about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Haha, no.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 04-29-2010, 04:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder how many people will starve to death trying this.
#4 Old 04-29-2010, 04:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessyka View Post

I wonder how many people will starve to death trying this.

I think the rule of thumb is 'Is a goddess feeding you an elixir of life via a hole in your palate? If not then you'll probably want to have some pakoras'.

The guy has been under observation for a week so far. It'll be interesting to see how well he's doing after a month...
#5 Old 04-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

b.s.
#6 Old 04-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Beginner

I'm interested in seeing how long this guy lasts. When he does fail, he will probably blame it on the stress of the experimental environment.

His claims are, of course, ludicrous.
#7 Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned

The record for a hunger strike is 92 days. Looks like we have a long wait to see if this guy can last longer.
#8 Old 04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I had to go make a sandwich after reading that article.

Maybe by fasting habitually, he's sort of trained his body to keep his metabolism low. I could buy that. That only means that he can go longer without food though, not that he doesn't need it.

life's not a paragraph
and death i think is no paranthesis
#9 Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So far, Mr Prahlad appears to be standing up to scrutiny. He has not eaten or drunk any fluids in six days, and similarly has not passed urine or a stool in that time. He remains fit and healthy and shows no sign of lethargy. Doctors will continue observing him for 15 days in which time they would expect to see some muscle wastage, serious dehydration, weight loss,and fatigue followed by organ failure.

I certainly hope that they won't let it get as far as organ failure.
#10 Old 04-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

How does medical science plan to prove that he is receiving goddess elixir?
#11 Old 04-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Beginner

Send that man to Ethiopea to teach a class!
#12 Old 04-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmmm we shall see!

I remember David Blaine apparently went a while without eating or drinking whilst wearing a nappy in a glass box. I cant remember how he did it, but it shows you *can* trick people.

from the article: "he went without food or water for ten days in which urine appeared to be reabsorbed by his body after forming in his bladder"

er, re-absorbing urine. that doesn't sound like a good idea.
#13 Old 04-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

eww. if any goddess tried pouring david blaines urine in my gob... no.
#14 Old 04-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Beginner

That 92-day hunger strike, did it include no water either?
#15 Old 04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I believe that nothing is impossible.

Here is a chapter from Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda that tells of a similar tale. If you're interested in reading about another yogi who was reported to never need to eat.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=xsIi...20yogi&f=false

(Chapter 46, pg 443- the woman yogi who never needs to eat)

Yogananda was very skeptical at first, but after spending time with her, understood her connection to the divine, and that she was nourished by the energy directly. There is a pretty scientific explanation of how this might be possible in the footnotes of the chapter.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#16 Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

If everything were possible, impossibility would be impossible.
#17 Old 04-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

If everything were possible, impossibility would be impossible.

Touche. I should have said. I don't think this is impossible. Improbable, but impossible. I've edited my post to direct people to a book with an explanation of why I don't believe it's impossible.

It basically has to do with the idea that it's not impossible for plants to pull energy directly from solar radiation and that it may be possible for human bodies to do the same somehow. (The how isn't explained by science yet, it's only with divine help that the saint is able to do the same).

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#18 Old 04-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

It basically has to do with the idea that it's not impossible for plants to pull energy directly from solar radiation and that it may be possible for human bodies to do the same somehow. (The how isn't explained by science yet, it's only with divine help that the saint is able to do the same).

Plants cannot survive on sunlight alone though. They require other inputs.

I believe everything.
#19 Old 04-30-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

eww. if any goddess tried pouring david blaines urine in my gob... no.

#20 Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular

the only breatharians that i've ever heard of have been sages from india or connected to that wisdom tradition.

though apparently, some catholic nuns also survived for many years with nothing more than a daily eucharist--but this is considered inherently miraculous rather than the situation in india which is apparently earned/learned and then gifted as a boon from the divine. so, it *might* be different.

i believe it is possible, but exceedingly rare.
#21 Old 04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Hmmmm we shall see!

I remember David Blaine apparently went a while without eating or drinking whilst wearing a nappy in a glass box. I cant remember how he did it, but it shows you *can* trick people.

from the article: "he went without food or water for ten days in which urine appeared to be reabsorbed by his body after forming in his bladder"

er, re-absorbing urine. that doesn't sound like a good idea.

EWWW. I remember when this was on tv. All I could think was how he'd reek of BO and urine when he got out.
#22 Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

psych observation...?

Atame.
#23 Old 04-30-2010, 01:49 PM

haha you guys don't need to say it's impossible. Just wait a while and see! If someone bet me they could live that long with only magical supplement i would definitely let them try to prove it.
#24 Old 04-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Ex-*****

Quote:

It basically has to do with the idea that it's not impossible for plants to pull energy directly from solar radiation and that it may be possible for human bodies to do the same somehow.

There is a sea slug that as part of its life cycle incorporates algae DNA into its own DNA and becomes able to absorb energy from the sun through photosynthesis. Something similar could be going on in this case, I suppose (Btw, I too read Autobiography of a Yogi many moons ago, and I remember the breatharianism and other miracles discussed.)

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#25 Old 04-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

There is a sea slug that as part of its life cycle incorporates algae DNA into its own DNA and becomes able to absorb energy from the sun through photosynthesis. Something similar could be going on in this case, I suppose

However, photosynthesis is the process of using the sun's energy to convert carbon dioxide and water into complex sugars and oxygen. The plant does not magically pull energy from solar radiation and live off that energy directly. It requires inputs to survive and it requires other atoms and molecules to grow and repair itself. I think the analogy by comparing it to plants is flawed.

I am hard pressed to see how this is possible, unless this person's hair does not grow, skin does not grow, does not grow at all, nor repair itself or that the person has a built in matter replicator.

I believe everything.
#26 Old 05-01-2010, 05:52 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

However, photosynthesis is the process of using the sun's energy to convert carbon dioxide and water into complex sugars and oxygen. The plant does not magically pull energy from solar radiation and live off that energy directly. It requires inputs to survive and it requires other atoms and molecules to grow and repair itself. I think the analogy by comparing it to plants is flawed.

Well, I would think like most people he would be able to produce carbondioxide, so that would be no problem, and he could absorb water vapour from the air through his skin by osmosis.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#27 Old 05-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Well, I would think like most people he would be able to produce carbondioxide, so that would be no problem, and he could absorb water vapour from the air through his skin by osmosis.

Only a few plants absorb enough water vapor from the air to survive on. Why would we go to extreme lengths to concoct a hypothesis that humans can do something only few plants can do? Especially when, based on empirical observation, most humans simply do not function like this.

Besides, if he's using the CO2 then he'd probably be not breathing or that it's not really necessary. A simple experiment would be to see if he can breathe for a sustained amount of time into a plastic bag or if he can simply not breathe.

His skin is not green though, so it's probably not photosynthesis, perhaps he's using a different molecule than chlorophyll?

Although it still sounds like grasping at straws for explaining it, it opens more questions than it answers.

I believe everything.
#28 Old 05-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

EWWW. I remember when this was on tv. All I could think was how he'd reek of BO and urine when he got out.

I couldn't help thinking about how much his breath would stink, ew.

According to the Vedas, certain types of Yogis can develop all sorts of supernatural abilities like these. But true Yogis aren't interested in getting these abilities, and the ones who are generally don't want to undergo the very severe penances and austerities it requires.
#29 Old 05-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Here is a chapter from Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda that tells of a similar tale. If you're interested in reading about another yogi who was reported to never need to eat.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=xsIi...20yogi&f=false

(Chapter 46, pg 443- the woman yogi who never needs to eat)

Yogananda was very skeptical at first, but after spending time with her, understood her connection to the divine, and that she was nourished by the energy directly. There is a pretty scientific explanation of how this might be possible in the footnotes of the chapter.

I assume you mean the explanation in the footnote on page 450. It's a gross misunderstanding of photosynthesis and one that I wouldn't say is scientific at all. It's based on a perception by a doctor from 1933.

I believe everything.
#30 Old 05-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

What a load of rubbish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page