Washing Fruits and Vegetables - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do you wash fruits and vegetables after bringing them home from the store?
Always wash fruits/vegetables (except ones that are peeled) 1 100.00%
Never wash fruits/vegetables 0 0%
Only wash non organic fruits/vegetables 0 0%
Wash fruits/vegetables sporadically (if they look clean, that's good enough) 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

In the "Disgusting Habits" thread I noticed that a number of people don't wash fruits and vegetables when they bring them home from the store. I don't think that's a "disgusting" habit, but it surprises me. I soak a lot of vegetables and some fruits in GSE before using.

I wash them because I'm concerned about insects, parasites, pesticides, fecal matter and other germs. Fruits and vegetables have passed through a number of hands before getting to you.

I admire that some of you have strong immune systems. I figure I would get sick more often if I routinely didn't wash fruits and vegetables.

So, some general questions...

Do you wash fruits and vegetables after bringing them home from the store?

Are there some you never wash? Some you always wash? Does it matter if they're organic?

Are you concerned about parasites, pesticides, and other issues from unwashed produce?

Edit to add:

For those who don't wash vegetables:

would you eat, say, a piece of bread that a cashier handed to you that was sitting on the grocery conveyor belt? If not, why is it different?

I want to re-iterate that I don't find it "disgusting" so I hope no one feels shamed, but it just seems so risky, healthwise, which is why it surprises me when people don't. Perhaps I'm overcautious?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I never wash apples. Most vegetables I only rinse, but I should probably wash them more thoroughly. I usually just rinse asparagus, potatoes, celery, etc. The only thing I would have to say that I really wash is strawberries, after I saw that thread about the bugs!
#3 Old 04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Beginner

I usually just rinse my fruits and veggies.
#4 Old 04-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

I never wash anything unless it has visible dirt on it, like cabbage. It's not that I've made an active decision to be flippant about the things that might be on the produce, it just never really occurs to me to wash it.
#5 Old 04-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Darn, it wouldn't let me post a poll. This is what it would have been, in case a mod sees this and is willing to add it:

Always wash fruits/vegetables (except ones that are peeled)

Never wash fruits/vegetables

Only wash non organic fruits/vegetables

Wash fruits/vegetables sporadically, not dependent on organic or peeled etc., i.e. if they look clean, that's good enough

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#6 Old 04-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was younger, I contracted Shigellosis from something I ate at a raw salad bar. I was deathly ill for weeks and that's an experience I want to avoid having again.

I clean all my fruits and veggies with a homemade wash for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned. Organic or not, this food has been handled by other people who may or may not have good hygiene habits so unless I start to grow my own veggies, I'm going to thoroughly clean everything I bring into the house.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#7 Old 04-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchabbey View Post

homemade wash

what is in it, and how do you use it?

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#8 Old 04-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm pretty slack. Most stuff gets a quick rinse at best.

Are you sure this is art, not vandalism?
#9 Old 04-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Well... I wash sand off if there's sand. And I rub apples on my jeans sometimes, but mostly I just want to make them shiny.
#10 Old 04-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

what is in it, and how do you use it?

1 cup organic apple vinegar

1 Tablespoon Baking Powder

2 Tablespoons Lemon juice

1 cup cold water

Mix them together and pour into a spray bottle. Spray the produce liberally and then rinse in cold water.

From what I've read, the expensive store bought veggie rinses are predominantly vinegar based mixtures with some citrus added so this accomplishes the same thing but is a lot cheaper.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#11 Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I wash absolutely everything, even the produce that gets peeled, such as bananas and citrus fruits. I was taught to do this by my mother, and I like to play it safe.

I'll even wipe off cans and boxes of food with a damp rag before I put it all away, for the same reason. My mother is very anal about such things, and she taught me to be anal about such things, too.

*this space not for sale*
#12 Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftLikeAFox View Post

Well... I wash sand off if there's sand. And I rub apples on my jeans sometimes, but mostly I just want to make them shiny.

Me too!
#13 Old 04-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

would you eat, say, a piece of bread that a cashier handed to you that was sitting on the grocery conveyor belt? If not, why is it different?

I want to re-iterate that I don't find it "disgusting" so I hope no one feels shamed, but it just seems so risky, healthwise, which is why it surprises me....

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#14 Old 04-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I want to re-iterate that I don't find it "disgusting" so I hope no one feels shamed, but it just seems so risky, healthwise, which is why it surprises me....

A slice of bread, or a solid loaf-type thing?

The former no, the latter yes.
#15 Old 04-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

What about things found in the wild? I sometimes eat apples, berries and nuts I find growing naturally as I find them. Mmmmm fresh blackberries

Are you sure this is art, not vandalism?
#16 Old 04-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftLikeAFox View Post

A slice of bread, or a solid loaf-type thing?

The former no, the latter yes.

Why would it be different? The slice of bread would soak up germs or something?

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#17 Old 04-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchabbey View Post

1 cup organic apple vinegar

1 Tablespoon Baking Powder

2 Tablespoons Lemon juice

1 cup cold water

What's the purpose of the baking powder?

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#18 Old 04-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Why would it be different? The slice of bread would soak up germs or something?

I don't really worry about germs, just dirt. It's easier to brush off this way.
#19 Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Only wash them if they look dirty or my mother is watching. I know it's kind of dirty but I am not that fussed, I seem to have a cast iron constitution when it comes to germs.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#20 Old 04-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Only wash them if they look dirty or my mother is watching. I know it's kind of dirty but I am not that fussed, I seem to have a cast iron constitution when it comes to germs.

That makes sense to me - people who feel that their immune systems are very strong feel able to process or fight off whatever is on the produce, whether germs, parasites, or pesticides. It's actually what our bodies were meant to do - but not all of us have such strong immune systems.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#21 Old 04-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Wash or Rinse every time. There should be a rinse option.
#22 Old 04-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember being in Whole Foods shopping one time: I approached the tangerines as an employee was putting them out. He saw me looking at them with interest, grabbed a tangerine, tore it in half, and gave one half to me and the other half to another customer. This was an organic tangerine, but I remember wondering if I should eat it since it hadn't been washed! That's how I was raised. I ate it anyway. It was good.

*this space not for sale*
#23 Old 04-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not stringent about washing any of my vegetables - I do sometimes, if I think about it at the time, but otherwise I don't as a general rule. I'm more likely to wash lettuce than anything else - tomatoes as well. I usually cut onions in a cold water rinse to avoid irritated eyes.

I would likewise take a piece of bread a cashier handed me in a store. I just think Western society in general is overconcerned with cleanliness with regards to the handling of food. In foreign countries, people eat meat that has been sitting out at the stalls for hours with flies swarming all over it. I doubt many of them get sick on a regular basis because of it.
#24 Old 04-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont really bother, and if I do wash it its because ive cooked it previously and there was sand. Otherwise I dont really even think to wash stuff.

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#25 Old 04-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I rinse them, I don't want preservatives or insecticides on them. Hell, I'd do better with the insects, animal-contamination is what my immune system's used to. (Disgusting habits thread should include, once I get there, not washing my hands before lunch when at work at the farm. And no, I don't get sick from that.)

My mom does about the same as me, and of course we rinse carrots or whatever we get out of the ground here for dirt, but not home grown tomatoes or anything usually. I don't think my brother has ever cooked vegetables in his life (or anything not pre-packaged otherwise) and I doubt my dad cares.
#26 Old 04-04-2010, 07:01 PM

I'm ashamed to say I never wash fruit! I know... it's disgusting.

As for the "would you eat bread if a cashier touched it" question, my answer would be yes. After all it's probably been touched a dozen times already that day, it's been breathed on, maybe sneezed or coughed on, dust has probably settled on it as well as flies etc. I don't worry that much about bacteria, I think for the most part its good to be exposed (in tiny amounts) to as much as possible.

I *do* worry with the rather large amounts of apples I eat (two bags in the space of 3/4 days) if their could be some issues with any chemicals they use but my mind just goes back to a fact I heard once in a documentary that stated that before you could physically eat enough oranges to get poisoned by the pesticides you would get vitamin c poisoning first (allot sooner infact).

But that's no excuse, I really should start washing them... its just that their just too juicy and I can't wait to eat them!
#27 Old 04-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Not long ago, there was an episode of Dr. Oz that showed the dangers of not washing your fruits/veggies. There was a hidden camera in a store that showed people touching their hair, sneezing into their hands, both before touching numerous fruit and veggie items and putting them back. Even people climbing up onto the display to get something out of reach (feet touching other fruit). Also, many people don't use tongs when picking out bread from the single item display (where you can get bagels and mini loaves). The most common item found in those bins: fake finger nails. Ewww. Dr. Oz even sprayed a chemical over a melon before cutting into it. The chemical was carried on the knife and ended up on the inside, the part you eat. Always a good idea to wash.
#28 Old 04-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Not long ago, there was an episode of Dr. Oz...

Dr. Oz could cure cancer and he'd still be a worthless, untrustworthy POS

Quote:
In 2004, complaints about Dr. Mehmet Ozs dog experiments were cited in a report from an internal investigation into allegations of poor animal care made by Dr. Catherine DellOrto, a post-doctoral veterinarian. [3], [4] See also individual reports of Dr. Oz's dog experiments. [5] According to the report, "highly invasive and stressful experiments" on dogs were performed without a "humane end point." AWA violations included a litter of whelped puppies killed by painful cardiac injection:

"The screams of these puppies could be heard through closed doors. All of these puppies, lying in a plastic garbage bag, were killed in the presence of their litter mates."[6]

Subsequent applications for grants to the NIH by Dr. Oz have been denied.[7] In 2004, Columbia paid $2,000 in fines to the USDA. [8]

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...t_Laboratories

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#29 Old 04-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Dr. Oz could cure cancer and he'd still be a worthless, untrustworthy POS

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...t_Laboratories

Are you sure that's a liable source? That's terrible, I used to love him.
#30 Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Are you sure that's a liable source? That's terrible, I used to love him.

It's true. You can see the citations for yourself.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page